Forgotten Traffic Violation for C&F

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PeanutsNJam

Forgotten Traffic Violation for C&F

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:02 am

So I left all the C&F areas on my law school applications blank because, well, at the time, nothing came to mind. I've had speeding/parking tickets before (not many, not even close to having my license revoked), but I've never even smoked a joint. So I was like cool I'm fine with the law. Never caught drinking underage, etc.

But then I remembered something today.

So a few years back, I had just gotten a car for UG and was driving around with a temp plate. Now this is an old rust bucket, so I put temp plate inside the rear view window but in plain view of whoever was behind me. I wasn't aware of how hard it is to get an actual license plate (I'm a 19 year old kid alone in the US with no family within 500 miles), so I wasn't prepared with my emissions tests or whatever on the expiration date. Naturally, I had to drive my car to get my emission tested, then go to the DMV, etc. I had to collect a few other documents, no biggie. All this time, I'm going around with an expired temp license plate.

Now, I have all my documents together. My ID (I had to get my SS card because it was left at home a thousand miles away), passport, emissions test, title, yada yada. It's all in the glove compartment, I'm gonna go to the DMV as soon as it opens tomorrow.

Bam, get pulled over on the way to McD at night. This cop was having a bad day.

He nailed me with (each on a $100+ fine):

- Expired plate
- Improperly mounted plate
- No emissions sticker
- No front plate

Even though I showed him all the documents I had prepared to go get a plate tomorrow.

So I'm like shit. I go to traffic court, the prosecutor looks at me with this look of pity (imagine this 19 yr old azn nerd in a court full of ganstas. This was not a good part of town), offers me a deal, plead guilty, and she takes 3 of those charges off. I'm like sweet, pay my 300 fine (fine + court fees), and am on my merry way. In hindsight, it was a hilariously awkward time, I could tell the judge trying not to laugh as I was explaining my story. She's like "kid all you gotta do is say guilty".

So I've been accepted to some places and am waiting on others. Does this need to be disclosed?

BearLaw

Re: Forgotten Traffic Violation for C&F

Postby BearLaw » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:So I left all the C&F areas on my law school applications blank because, well, at the time, nothing came to mind. I've had speeding/parking tickets before (not many, not even close to having my license revoked), but I've never even smoked a joint. So I was like cool I'm fine with the law. Never caught drinking underage, etc.

But then I remembered something today.

So a few years back, I had just gotten a car for UG and was driving around with a temp plate. Now this is an old rust bucket, so I put temp plate inside the rear view window but in plain view of whoever was behind me. I wasn't aware of how hard it is to get an actual license plate (I'm a 19 year old kid alone in the US with no family within 500 miles), so I wasn't prepared with my emissions tests or whatever on the expiration date. Naturally, I had to drive my car to get my emission tested, then go to the DMV, etc. I had to collect a few other documents, no biggie. All this time, I'm going around with an expired temp license plate.

Now, I have all my documents together. My ID (I had to get my SS card because it was left at home a thousand miles away), passport, emissions test, title, yada yada. It's all in the glove compartment, I'm gonna go to the DMV as soon as it opens tomorrow.

Bam, get pulled over on the way to McD at night. This cop was having a bad day.

He nailed me with (each on a $100+ fine):

- Expired plate
- Improperly mounted plate
- No emissions sticker
- No front plate

Even though I showed him all the documents I had prepared to go get a plate tomorrow.

So I'm like shit. I go to traffic court, the prosecutor looks at me with this look of pity (imagine this 19 yr old azn nerd in a court full of ganstas. This was not a good part of town), offers me a deal, plead guilty, and she takes 3 of those charges off. I'm like sweet, pay my 300 fine (fine + court fees), and am on my merry way. In hindsight, it was a hilariously awkward time, I could tell the judge trying not to laugh as I was explaining my story. She's like "kid all you gotta do is say guilty".

So I've been accepted to some places and am waiting on others. Does this need to be disclosed?

Talk to a dean, write a memo to the school disclosing and explaining why you didnt before. Disclose to the bar when the time comes. You will be fine. Not having a license plat in time is not the kind of thing that keeps you from getting barred.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Unless you also ran over someone or were doing blow off the dashboard when they pulled you over nobody cares. Minor traffic stops are not considered c&f.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32 pm

I like your phrasing, "never caught."

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I had to look up emission testing, had no idea that was a thing in some states

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:48 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:I had to look up emission testing, had no idea that was a thing in some states

Same as "smog test" here in Nevada I think. But yeah I remember registering my car here and being super confused.

For OP, I would expect admissions to look at this with the same mentality as the judge: no biggie, stop freaking, we'll all laugh about this later.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”