Canadian wanting to work in NYC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Eragon

Canadian wanting to work in NYC

Postby Eragon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:18 pm

I am a Canadian hoping to move and work in NYC after. I don't have the necessary funds to attend a T-14 school as an international student, so will be going to law school in Canada. I will be attending Osgoode Hall Law School, located in Toronto. I wasn't accepted into University of Toronto. My question is, how is Osgoode's reputation in the U.S, and how well do Osgoode grads place in the NYC job market?

Thank you!

Moneytrees

Re: Canadian wanting to work in NYC

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm a 0L so I'm not sure what Osgoode's reputation is among legal employers. However, my guess is that nobody has ever heard of it. I don't mean this to come off as an insult. The reality is that law schools in the U.S. tend to be very regional. For instance, I currently work in NYC and very few of partners at my firm have even heard of UC Irvine, which, granted, is a new school, but which is actually fairly well known and respected on the West Coast. Employers tend to develop relationships with schools in their proximity; for instance, firms in NYC probably are more familiar with St. John's or Quinnipiac than UC Davis or SMU.

That being said, the legal market in the U.S. is pretty tough to crack for anybody. Many so called top schools struggle to place their grads into legal jobs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I can't imagine many firms willing to give a Canadian attorney a shot in this market.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Moneytrees wrote:I'm a 0L so I'm not sure what Osgoode's reputation is among legal employers. However, my guess is that nobody has ever heard of it. I don't mean this to come off as an insult. The reality is that law schools in the U.S. tend to be very regional. For instance, I currently work in NYC and very few of partners at my firm have even heard of UC Irvine, which, granted, is a new school, but which is actually fairly well known and respected on the West Coast. Employers tend to develop relationships with schools in their proximity; for instance, firms in NYC probably are more familiar with St. John's or Quinnipiac than UC Davis or SMU.

That being said, the legal market in the U.S. is pretty tough to crack for anybody. Many so called top schools struggle to place their grads into legal jobs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I can't imagine many firms willing to give a Canadian attorney a shot in this market.

Osgoode's reputation is pretty strong, even outside of Canada. It is the more historically prestigious law school (despite being lower ranked than U of T and a few others recently). It is fairly well known, especially to those firms that come to OCI of course.

To OP: I know there are a few NY firms that do OCI at Osgoode and UofT (and I want to say McGill). Not a lot of people get hired by them but a few do. Do not count on the outcome of getting into NYC biglaw, but it is possible. Go to lawstudents.ca and pose the same question and/or search for similar results for probably more detailed information.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:I'm a 0L so I'm not sure what Osgoode's reputation is among legal employers. However, my guess is that nobody has ever heard of it. I don't mean this to come off as an insult. The reality is that law schools in the U.S. tend to be very regional. For instance, I currently work in NYC and very few of partners at my firm have even heard of UC Irvine, which, granted, is a new school, but which is actually fairly well known and respected on the West Coast. Employers tend to develop relationships with schools in their proximity; for instance, firms in NYC probably are more familiar with St. John's or Quinnipiac than UC Davis or SMU.

Osgoode's reputation is pretty strong, even outside of Canada. It is the more historically prestigious law school (despite being lower ranked than U of T and a few others recently). It is fairly well known, especially to those firms that come to OCI of course.

To OP: I know there are a few NY firms that do OCI at Osgoode and UofT (and I want to say McGill). Not a lot of people get hired by them but a few do. Do not count on the outcome of getting into NYC biglaw, but it is possible. Go to lawstudents.ca and pose the same question and/or search for similar results for probably more detailed information.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that Osgoode is "fairly well known" in NYC. Outside of the T14, employers only know/care about schools that are in the immediate vicinity. Most don't keep up with the rankings, or have any awareness of how prestigious schools are if they aren't located near their firms.

The thing is, prestige or lack thereof is not the point at issue. OP is wondering if going to Osgoode will give him the opportunity to work in the U.S. It's disingenuous to imply that Osgoode is fairly well known here and that this will give OP a reasonable chance of cracking NYC Biglaw. It may not be impossible, but it's highly unlikely. I've worked here for nearly 2 years now, and I've never met or heard of a single person from Canada.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that Osgoode is "fairly well known" in NYC. Outside of the T14, employers only know/care about schools that are in the immediate vicinity. Most don't keep up with the rankings, or have any awareness of how prestigious schools are if they aren't located near their firms.

The thing is, prestige or lack thereof is not the point at issue. OP is wondering if going to Osgoode will give him the opportunity to work in the U.S. It's disingenuous to imply that Osgoode is fairly well known here and that this will give OP a reasonable chance of cracking NYC Biglaw. It may not be impossible, but it's highly unlikely. I've worked here for nearly 2 years now, and I've never met or heard of a single person from Canada.

I agree, I should have qualified the "fairly well known" statement more, I meant as far as foreign or distant schools go. I do not think i implied that it would give OP a reasonable chance. I said "a few do. Do not count on the outcome . . . but it is possible" which is true since there are a few NYC firms each year that come to Osgoode for OCI and hire a few. I would bet that the likelihood of encountering a person from Canada is going to heavily depend on working at one of the few firms that do come North for OCI.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Ask on the Canadian law forum you'll get better results about what percentage can land NYC biglaw

to116

Postby to116 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 pm

Osgoode has a program with NYU where you do 2 years at both schools and come out with both degrees. That could be good for you, it allows you to practice in Canada and the US and you only pay tuition for 2 years. But yeah i think most american firms recruit from UofT and McGill.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:34 pm

Moneytrees wrote:I'm a 0L so I'm not sure what Osgoode's reputation is among legal employers. However, my guess is that nobody has ever heard of it.

I doubt this is true. Most legal employers will have at least heard of Osgoode. It's the second best school in Canada and there isn't much that separates it from UofT reputationally (AIUI Osgoode is the more PI-focused NYU to UofT's Columbia).

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 am

to116 wrote:Osgoode has a program with NYU where you do 2 years at both schools and come out with both degrees. That could be good for you, it allows you to practice in Canada and the US and you only pay tuition for 2 years. But yeah i think most american firms recruit from UofT and McGill.

The Osgoode/ NYU dual degree program was discontinued years ago.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:34 pm

pamphleteer wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:I'm a 0L so I'm not sure what Osgoode's reputation is among legal employers. However, my guess is that nobody has ever heard of it.

I doubt this is true. Most legal employers will have at least heard of Osgoode. It's the second best school in Canada and there isn't much that separates it from UofT reputationally (AIUI Osgoode is the more PI-focused NYU to UofT's Columbia).

Believe it. Even if they've heard of it and can recognize the name, employers will not be aware of how good of a school it is. I get blank stares when I reference UC Davis and UC Irvine to my bosses. Very few employers pay attention to schools outside their region of practice.

Eragon

Postby Eragon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Taking all your advice into consideration, would I be better off staying and practicing law with an Osgoode degree in Canada? It is seen as somewhat of a prestigious school here, though I'm not sure how much that would be worth to future employers.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Well, you would be foolish to put all your eggs in the NYU firm at OCI thing anyways. Feel free to apply to the couple that come to Osgoode at OCI, but obviously go for some Canadian firms as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”