Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby possiblyagoose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:41 am

I'm currently deciding between USC Gould and George Washington. Both have offered similar scholarships and seem like good schools. I really want to visit both schools before I decide where to attend though, this is where an issue arises. USC has an enrollment confirmation and seat deposit due on May 1, and I will be out of the country until after that date. George Washington also has a seat deposit due April 1 since I was offered a scholarship. I've considered just confirming enrollment at USC, paying both seat deposits and then dropping at USC later if I do decide to go to George Washington. Does anyone know if confirming at USC or paying seat deposits at both schools could have any negative consequences? I'd lose the cash the seat deposit costs from one school, but that would still be way cheaper than flying back to the U.S. just to see the school. I know the LSAC keeps track of how many early binding admissions applications people send out, but do they track anything like who signs to where? If anybody else has been in this situation or knows, you would be a saint to help out. On an unrelated note, if anybody has many suggestions as to which school might be a better choice in general, that would be awesome as well. It seems like comparing apples to oranges to me, both are equally good but just different.

[Edit] - Thank you guys for the great info and suggestions, they have helped a lot. Currently trying to negotiate some deadline extensions but it looks like I may just be heading back to the states earlier than planned.
Last edited by possiblyagoose on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 am

I think you can actually make your decision earlier and not deposit at both. Although, I'd recommend visiting schools before deciding these schools are in completely different legal market. If it was me making this decision, I wouldn't necessarily waste some money depositing on both schools if I could make a choice earlier.

1. What is the cost of attendance for each school? I know you said your scholarship amounts are close to the same, but at the bottom line what's cheaper. If you're parents are paying this matters less.

2. Where do you see yourself practicing? If LA, go to USC if DC go to GW. Alot also depends on what kind of law job you want. I would also say USC has more portability throughout CA than GW would have in its region. (This is purely anecodotal and speculative.

3. Go here and look at employment information. A big shocker to me just briefly looking is that GW funds a lot of positions.

There's a lot more to this decision-making process, but that's at least a start. I would not go 200k in debt or something crazy to go to one of these schools btw...(high COL in both areas)

User avatar

Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:30 am

OP, USC won't allow you to double depo; if you do, you might lose your seat. If you lose your seat at 'SC, you might be stuck at GW.

Do come join us here, there are good people here who have great insight: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=245075.

The big Question for you is where do you want to practice.

User avatar

Posts: 4163
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:17 am

The real question is how much is the scholarship..


Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby Pequod » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 am

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby Auxilio » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Pequod wrote:Have you contacted each school's admissions office and asked for extensions? Explain your situation and they might understand. I wanted to visit each of the schools I am seriously considering, and one school in particular (not one of your schools, unforthnately) had a deposit deadline that was before when I'd have been able to make my visits/decision. I asked the school for an extension after telling them this exact reason, and they allowed it... maybe you'll luck out too? As a side note, I didn't ask for a very long deadline extension (just one week).

As far as I know if you say I am planning to visit your school on x, can I have an extension to x + week or so, they almost always grant it. Remember once they accept you they are trying to convince you to come, a reversal from before acceptance.


Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Should I enroll at a school I might just drop later?

Postby SPerez » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 pm

People double (sometimes quadruple) deposit all the time. Unless it's a binding ED program, a school shouldn't keep you from doing it. Law schools don't get the names of multiple deposit holders until after May 15.

I'm with others...ask for an extension first. If that doesn't work, you can double deposit to hold your seats until you get back and can visit.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], kate460 and 10 guests