Hours Per Week

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mattf

Hours Per Week

Postby mattf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 pm

I know working big law you'll be busting your ass working 80+ hours/week but what about for smaller firms? I plan on working in a medium-sized city in the somewhere in the midwest at a small or medium-sized firm (yes I realize I'll be making less money). Approximately what amount of hours could I expect to work per week?

itascot1992

Re: Hours Per Week

Postby itascot1992 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:43 am

mattf wrote:I know working big law you'll be busting your ass working 80+ hours/week but what about for smaller firms? I plan on working in a medium-sized city in the somewhere in the midwest at a small or medium-sized firm (yes I realize I'll be making less money). Approximately what amount of hours could I expect to work per week?

Depends on firm

Moneytrees

Re: Hours Per Week

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 am

I dont think the Biglaw standard is 80 hours a week. Based on the lawyers that I know in Biglaw, 60 hours is standard, with occasional hellish weeks or months of non-stop work. Some firms are tougher than others, but I dont know anybody who consistently works 80 hour weeks.

I used to work at a smaller firm and the attorneys usually worked 8:30-6 everyday. Some liked to come in later, like at 10am, but they made up the hours by staying till 7 or 8 at night.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”