Making under 100K as a Lawyer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Re: Making under 100K as a Lawyer

Postby lacrossebrother » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 pm

I know what you're getting at. I think the pendulum has swung too far though from people misusing the concept of "freedom of speech" (i.e. government protected speech that doesn't really apply to the private domain) to what you're doing --people trying to catch other people misusing the concept, even though in most cases people do understand that a mom telling her daughter to cut it out doesn't implicate the 1st amendment. i think people understand the concept more than you give them credit for...AND, when people are clearly trolling with it, it's especially eyeroll worthy when you try to "get em"

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Besides the obvious troll-baiting and misapplication issues, (disclosure: this is straight up stolen from The Daily Show) - if your best argument is that what you're saying isn't strictly illegal, it doesn't speak particularly highly as to the quality of your speech.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:I know what you're getting at. I think the pendulum has swung too far though from people misusing the concept of "freedom of speech" (i.e. government protected speech that doesn't really apply to the private domain) to what you're doing --people trying to catch other people misusing the concept, even though in most cases people do understand that a mom telling her daughter to cut it out doesn't implicate the 1st amendment. i think people understand the concept more than you give them credit for...AND, when people are clearly trolling with it, it's especially eyeroll worthy when you try to "get em"

The only way I was trying to "get em" was to suggest a ban with a First Amendment reference. Wasn't really looking for a substantive discussion here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”