Retake Worthwhile with GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopstoopid

New

Retake Worthwhile with GPA?

Post by hopstoopid » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 am

167/3.63 - Taken once
Goals: Philadelphia Big Law, but Big Law more generally.

I've been admitted to Cornell, but they offered $0 in scholarship. I am contemplating withdrawing my acceptances, retaking in September/October, and reapplying.

The question is, how valuable will a retake be given my GPA? If I score a 170+, do I stand to get decent scholarships at the lower T14? Penn is obviously my #1, but even if I score high enough to stand a chance at admission, will I likely be paying sticker?

Thanks in advance.

itascot1992

Bronze

Re: Retake Worthwhile with GPA?

Post by itascot1992 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:15 am

hopstoopid wrote:167/3.63 - Taken once
Goals: Philadelphia Big Law, but Big Law more generally.

I've been admitted to Cornell, but they offered $0 in scholarship. I am contemplating withdrawing my acceptances, retaking in September/October, and reapplying.

The question is, how valuable will a retake be given my GPA? If I score a 170+, do I stand to get decent scholarships at the lower T14? Penn is obviously my #1, but even if I score high enough to stand a chance at admission, will I likely be paying sticker?

Thanks in advance.
def worth retaking

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 am

As a philly native, who has a 3.6, and whose top choice was/is Penn, please retake.

I took the lsat 3 times. Ended up with a 175. got into penn + ccn, and I anticipate getting some $

You can do it, good luck

hopstoopid

New

Post by hopstoopid » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:30 am

Always good to hear from another Philadelphian. Thanks you!

tealeaves12

Bronze

Post by tealeaves12 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:30 am

seems like it's worth it.

by the way, you should play around with mylsn.info - I have similar stats to you and I went on mylsn.info the other day and put in my GPA (I put 3.6-3.7 actually bc im in b/w) and one at a time I loaded different LSAT scores. 167 (my score), 168, 169, 170 etc. It really is crazy how much the chart changes for each point, in terms of acceptances and scholarship offers. Very inspiring, in case you struggle to convince yourself to put in the work for LSAT again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

That GPA/LSAT combo is pretty much the perfect spot for a retake. Your GPA is plenty competitive for at least 10 of the T-14, so it's really all about the LSAT score and you only need a few more points.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 am

Good luck OP, 167 the first time is absolutely amazing, I'm sure you'll do great on the next one!

tacocat

New

Post by tacocat » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 am

Definitely worth it unless you have a way to pay for law school other than taking out a buttload of debt, which from your post it didn't sound like it.

hopstoopid

New

Post by hopstoopid » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:53 am

Sorry for not including this earlier:

Parents have offered to help to an extent, but I do not think that Cornell at sticker is doable, so it would have to be a combination of parent aid and loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YoungSimba

New

Post by YoungSimba » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:58 am

Last edited by YoungSimba on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tacocat

New

Post by tacocat » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm

hopstoopid wrote:Sorry for not including this earlier:

Parents have offered to help to an extent, but I do not think that Cornell at sticker is doable, so it would have to be a combination of parent aid and loans.
Yep, retake. You should be working hard at 170+. Get most of your tuition covered by scholly, use the parents' offer to help cover cost of living, graduate nearly debt free. If you started at 167 you should be able to get there no problem.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:29 pm

YoungSimba wrote:I am also considering withdrawing, retaking Sept/Oct, and trying again next cycle. Stats: 170, 3.1X

I have been accepted to several T-14's, but none with scholarship. With a higher LSAT would I be able to expect any better outcomes next cycle? Or with my low GPA am I doomed regardless? Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Applications keep falling so no harm in waiting, although there's obviously less upside for you than there is for the OP. Hang in there with the negotiations for now.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
YoungSimba wrote:I am also considering withdrawing, retaking Sept/Oct, and trying again next cycle. Stats: 170, 3.1X

I have been accepted to several T-14's, but none with scholarship. With a higher LSAT would I be able to expect any better outcomes next cycle? Or with my low GPA am I doomed regardless? Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Applications keep falling so no harm in waiting, although there's obviously less upside for you than there is for the OP. Hang in there with the negotiations for now.
I don't disagree with the retake narrative, but just want to point out that many people including Spivey predict a small uptick next cycle in number of applicants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I don't disagree with the retake narrative, but just want to point out that many people including Spivey predict a small uptick next cycle in number of applicants.
LSAT takers is the best leading indicator we have and those keep falling. At worst the uptick will be harmless which is why I said "no harm" but I agree with Spivey that things probably won't be better.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

LSAT takers is the best leading indicator we have and those keep falling. At worst the uptick will be harmless which is why I said "no harm" but I agree with Spivey that things probably won't be better.
I'm pretty sure December takers were up very slightly this past year. LSAT takers were up 4.4% in February or something. That's what the uptick prediction is based on.

Also OP, I had a slightly lower GPA than you and got 150k from NU by EDing. I have seen people with my numbers get 135-150k at Cornell. A retake definitely makes sense here. Each point could save you something ridiculous like $25,000+.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:18 am

Dog wrote: I'm pretty sure December takers were up very slightly this past year. LSAT takers were up 4.4% in February or something. That's what the uptick prediction is based on.
I know, but that did little to counteract the large drops from June and September. We were still down 3.6% from the historic lows of the previous cycle. Like I said things probably aren't going to change much either way and I wouldn't hold off on retaking and sitting out a cycle out of fear that applicant numbers will quickly increase.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Dog wrote: I'm pretty sure December takers were up very slightly this past year. LSAT takers were up 4.4% in February or something. That's what the uptick prediction is based on.
I know, but that did little to counteract the large drops from June and September. We were still down 3.6% from the historic lows of the previous cycle. Like I said things probably aren't going to change much either way and I wouldn't hold off on retaking and sitting out a cycle out of fear that applicant numbers will quickly increase.
Yeah OP could score one point better and that would be more than enough to offset rising applicant numbers. I think the fall in June/September takers is probably more a factor in this cycle's applicant numbers than next cycle's numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”