Given my circumstances, should I pursue an MBA prior to Law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
starry eyed

Gold

Re: Given my circumstances, should I pursue an MBA prior to Law?

Post by starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Pneumonia wrote:If the tuition money doesn't matter to you and your only other option is retail/restaurant then this is maybe defensible in my opinion. Its not gonna get you a salary boost though. You'd probably appreciate the business fundamentals that you learned.

As others have said, you can probably get a "decent" job. Work for a non-profit or something. Maybe you don't want a job that you're gonna quit in 18 months. MBA is gonna be "meh" for admissions and job prospects though.
but it's not his only option. spending 15k to go to a crappy mba program for a chance at a 20k signing bonus and to learn business fundamentals is an objectionably bad choice no matter how you look at it.
Last edited by starry eyed on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:50 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:You realize that Law is nothing like Philosophy, right? Law is basically reading boring as shit documents all day and writing/drafts boring as shit legal documents...Why not do you something else? Do you really need money so badly that you are willing to suffer for it? Philosophy is really interesting...You're going to regret it OP.
Nah, trying to be a professor (the only thing a philosophy PhD qualifies you for) is even worse than going to law school. Even if OP graduates from a top program he has like a 1 in 500 chance of actually landing a tenure-track job.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:51 pm

An MBA without work experience is absolutely useless. You're 22 years old and (by the sounds of it) have never worked in any kind of management capacity- how could you understand, let alone apply, the advanced management theories and skills that MBAs are designed to teach?

Truthfully, come OCI when it's time to get a job, I would be willing to be my bottom dollar that an employer would much rather see a year of full-time work experience instead of a 1yr MBA from Generic State without any sort of work experience. I know you kinda effed yourself by getting a philosophy degree, but there is work out there that you can do. Stepping outside of a classroom will do you some good.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Philosophus1 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Why do you even want to go to law school? Why not just go for a MBA instead?
Well getting an MBA without work-experience and a JD will not get me far. Also, I am far more interested in law than in Business.
Why are you interested in Law? Because you enjoy writing? Trust me, I thought the same thing but it's very different actually

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm

If you get an MBA from a crappy school and have no work experience you may as well just light your money and fire and then wipe ur butt w the degree

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 pm

baal hadad wrote:If you get an MBA from a crappy school and have no work experience you may as well just light your money and fire and then wipe ur butt w the degree
Here's an anecdote, at my TTTT undergrad, I worked at Walmart part-time and my boss (assistant manager) had an MBA from the same school.. So yeA

And there's like 20 assistant managers per walmart

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:17 pm

I think I might have been underestimating the caliber of the MBA program you're considering attending. Full time work experience is your best bet, even if its at Starbucks.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:12 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:You realize that Law is nothing like Philosophy, right? Law is basically reading boring as shit documents all day and writing/drafts boring as shit legal documents...Why not do you something else? Do you really need money so badly that you are willing to suffer for it? Philosophy is really interesting...You're going to regret it OP.
Nah, trying to be a professor (the only thing a philosophy PhD qualifies you for) is even worse than going to law school. Even if OP graduates from a top program he has like a 1 in 500 chance of actually landing a tenure-track job.
Well even if they don't get a Professor job--there are lots of other jobs open to them. They can go into Academic Administration at a university for instance and maybe become a Dean one day...That job is actually really chill too (unlike being a lawyer)

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Get a job. Seriously, just being in an environment where you are expected to be there at 8am is an education. Off the top of my head, here are some job suggestions:

Arabic tutor
Paralegal
High School tutor
Substitute Teacher
Secretary
Arabic translated for businesses, websites, community out reaches, etc. not just government
Join Americore or TFA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Pneumonia wrote:If the tuition money doesn't matter to you and your only other option is retail/restaurant then this is maybe defensible in my opinion. Its not gonna get you a salary boost though. You'd probably appreciate the business fundamentals that you learned.

As others have said, you can probably get a "decent" job. Work for a non-profit or something. Maybe you don't want a job that you're gonna quit in 18 months. MBA is gonna be "meh" for admissions and job prospects though.
Many/most v10s give a year of seniority if you have a MBA. Not worth doing it on the off chance that you end up at one of those firms before you have even applied to law school of course... But it can give a salary boost.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:44 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:An MBA without work experience is absolutely useless. You're 22 years old and (by the sounds of it) have never worked in any kind of [*]management capacity- .
An MBA program that doesn't require work experience is just a money-suck. You really do need to get a job. If you can't exert even the tiniest bit of effort and creativity into thinking up possible jobs, you will likely not be super successful no matter what degree(s) you get. I'm not saying this to be harsh, I'm saying it because it's true. Also, any philosophy teaching job that would hire a 22 year old with a masters is also probably not worth its salt, and your time would be better spent doing something else.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Cobretti wrote:

Many/most v10s give a year of seniority if you have a MBA. Not worth doing it on the off chance that you end up at one of those firms before you have even applied to law school of course... But it can give a salary boost.
I knew they did for the JD/MBA, but they do so as well for a 1 yr, TTT program completed altogether prior to law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”