Given my circumstances, should I pursue an MBA prior to Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Philosophus1

Given my circumstances, should I pursue an MBA prior to Law?

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I am debating whether or not to pursue an MBA program at my local Cal State university prior to starting law school. I would appreciate any advice that you provide.

Let me give you a little background information about myself so that you will be able to give an informed answer to my question. Originally, I was ‘set’ on getting a PhD in Philosophy. I graduated with two bachelors degrees Summa Cum Laude; one in Arabic and the other in Philosophy (I am fluent in Arabic). I also will be graduating from a top terminal Masters program in Philosophy in a few weeks. I am 22 years old and have decided that it would be more conducive to a fruitful life if I pursue law instead of a PhD in Philosophy. But unfortunately the admissions cycle has already passed, so I will have to wait until the Fall of ’16 to start law school. So I am looking to do something ‘official’ (i.e., something in addition to doing independent things like study for the LSAT) in the interim.

I am debating whether or not I should enroll at my local Cal State’s 1-year MBA program (which is AACSB accredited). I am quite ignorant of what the curriculum of an MBA program is like. But having done some research, it seems that doing an MBA in Finance would be most beneficial for my purposes; this is because it seems to provide practical financial information, and it would most help me in a future career in Business Law. For me, the 1-year program would cost ~15,000 in total (disregarding putative scholarships). My reasons for getting into this MBA program is that I will i) gain practical financial knowledge; I will ii) take advantage of the interim year, which I would otherwise spend “doing nothing (official)”; I will iii) hopefully get up to a $20,000 hiring bonus at Big Law firms; and I will iv) gain career versatility.

So is it a smart move for me to enroll in my local Cal State’s MBA program as I wait to start law school in the Fall of ‘16? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Philosophus

chuckbass

Re: Given my circumstances, should I pursue an MBA prior to Law?

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Is getting a job not "official" enough for you?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:42 pm

You aren't interested in getting some work experience?

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Hey scottidsntknow,

The only job I can hope to get in the interim is to be a lecturer in Philosophy. But it's not even clear that I can manage to get such a job. Furthermore, even if I could, it would not bring in much money.

pollywolly88

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Why do you even want to go to law school? Why not just go for a MBA instead?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Go get a job. It sounds like you haven't stepped outside of a classroom in years and need real world experience. If that means waiting tables or making coffee, then that's just how it is.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Why do you even want to go to law school? Why not just go for a MBA instead?

Don't you mean "DDS"?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Philosophus1 wrote:Hey scottidsntknow,

The only job I can hope to get in the interim is to be a lecturer in Philosophy. But it's not even clear that I can manage to get such a job. Furthermore, even if I could, it would not bring in much money.

I mean, how hard have you tried to get a job unrelated to philosophy? I was under the impression that most MBA programs (other than the top 10 or so) are worthless unless you want to be a walmart assistant manager or something.

pollywolly88

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:57 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Why do you even want to go to law school? Why not just go for a MBA instead?

DRILL, BILL, FILL, baby

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm

If you are set on applying for fall 2016 you may want to begin preparing now. Whether or not you are going to go after this MBA, you need to start right away making plans to take the LSAT. The LSAT is going to be more critical to your success getting into a top law school than the MBA will likely be. You also need to make sure you have adequate time to get applications together.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Where are you getting this idea that the MBA will help you get a signing bonus at a law firm from? I also think you'd better off working than getting a crappy MBA.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Philosophus1 wrote:Hey scottidsntknow,

If you're fluent in Arabic you should have some pretty great job options.

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:18 pm

It seems like the general trend in the replies is that I should 'get a job'. I just wanted to clarify (since my OP was not clear) that I am planning on trying my out most to teach some Philosophy courses whether or not I enroll in the MBA program.

RZ5646 wrote:If that means waiting tables or making coffee, then that's just how it is.

But why would this be more beneficial then getting an MBA?

starry eyed wrote: I mean, how hard have you tried to get a job unrelated to philosophy? I was under the impression that most MBA programs (other than the top 10 or so) are worthless unless you want to be a walmart assistant manager or something.

In all honesty, I have not tried much at all. But I do not expect that I will be able to get a 'decent' job with the degrees that I have (the jobs that RZ5646 mentioned, viz., waiting tables and making coffee, are not 'decent' jobs in my book). As for whether or not MBA programs out side the top 10 are 'worthless' or not, I am not sure. Suppose I get a job at a big law firm--wouldn't the bonus in and of itself make it 'worth it'?

Julien_Benda

Postby Julien_Benda » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:20 pm

starry eyed wrote: I was under the impression that Most MBA programs (other than the top 10 7 or so) are worthless unless you want to be a walmart assistant manager or something.

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Mullens wrote:Where are you getting this idea that the MBA will help you get a signing bonus at a law firm from? I also think you'd better off working than getting a crappy MBA.

I suppose that I have just gotten the idea from surfing the net. It seems that some large law firms reward people with JDs *and* MBAs--although I am not sure whether they will reward someone who has an MBA from a non-prestigious program.

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:25 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:If you're fluent in Arabic you should have some pretty great job options.

The "great jobs" in Arabic require a top secret security clearance and an extensive background check that would take up to a year to get. Even if I get the clearance, by the time I get hired I would already be starting law school. As for lecturing in Arabic, one needs at least a Masters degree in the language or a Bachelors degree in the language AND an MA in a linguistic-related field (which I obviously lack).

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Philosophus1 wrote:It seems like the general trend in the replies is that I should 'get a job'. I just wanted to clarify (since my OP was not clear) that I am planning on trying my out most to teach some Philosophy courses whether or not I enroll in the MBA program.

RZ5646 wrote:If that means waiting tables or making coffee, then that's just how it is.

But why would this be more beneficial then getting an MBA?

starry eyed wrote: I mean, how hard have you tried to get a job unrelated to philosophy? I was under the impression that most MBA programs (other than the top 10 or so) are worthless unless you want to be a walmart assistant manager or something.

In all honesty, I have not tried much at all. But I do not expect that I will be able to get a 'decent' job with the degrees that I have (the jobs that RZ5646 mentioned, viz., waiting tables and making coffee, are not 'decent' jobs in my book). As for whether or not MBA programs out side the top 10 are 'worthless' or not, I am not sure. Suppose I get a job at a big law firm--wouldn't the bonus in and of itself make it 'worth it'?

Dude you're a philosophy major with no marketable skills or work experience, you're not going to just be handed a "decent" job. Take what you can get and work your way up like everyone else.

As someone else said, Arabic fluency should get you some job above minimum wage.

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:29 pm

JFO1833 wrote:If you are set on applying for fall 2016 you may want to begin preparing now. Whether or not you are going to go after this MBA, you need to start right away making plans to take the LSAT. The LSAT is going to be more critical to your success getting into a top law school than the MBA will likely be. You also need to make sure you have adequate time to get applications together.

That is well said. I have already started studying for the LSAT.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:33 pm

You have a great GPA and are bilingual. Just send out some fucking applications and stop being dense.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:38 pm

You are 22 with a masters? You need to get a job outside academia before going to law school. Also how is the MBA only 15K? Are you including living expenses? And in any case, spending 15K for a 20K signup bonus you might not even get doesn't make as much financial sense as it seems like you think it does, nor do garden-variety MBAs give you meaningful "career versatility." What was your undergraduate GPA? Why do you think you would enjoy law school?

Philosophus1

Postby Philosophus1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Well getting an MBA without work-experience and a JD will not get me far. Also, I am far more interested in law than in Business.

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:42 pm

why do you want so many degrees.

pollywolly88

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:42 pm

You realize that Law is nothing like Philosophy, right? Law is basically reading boring as shit documents all day and writing/drafts boring as shit legal documents...Why not do you something else? Do you really need money so badly that you are willing to suffer for it? Philosophy is really interesting...You're going to regret it OP.
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Some local CSU MBA is probs a waste of time tbh

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:44 pm

If the tuition money doesn't matter to you and your only other option is retail/restaurant then this is maybe defensible in my opinion. Its not gonna get you a salary boost though. You'd probably appreciate the business fundamentals that you learned.

As others have said, you can probably get a "decent" job. Work for a non-profit or something. Maybe you don't want a job that you're gonna quit in 18 months. MBA is gonna be "meh" for admissions and job prospects though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”