Impressive extracurriculars to leave off of app?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
preamble

Impressive extracurriculars to leave off of app?

Postby preamble » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Hypothetically speaking; if you were a drag performer (female illusion) and you ended up in some huge national competition like RuPaul's Drag Race and eventually won, would that be something too peculiar to put on a law school application?

ilikebaseball

Re: Impressive extracurriculars to leave off of app?

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:31 pm

did you?

preamble

Postby preamble » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:33 pm

No, I did not. A family friend of mine is currently on the program this season; I was just wondering.

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:35 pm

preamble wrote:No, I did not. A family friend of mine is currently on the program this season; I was just wondering.

We had a "Fat acceptance zealot" PS guy... i think you could add that on the app, it would be a great talking point in an interview.... I for years in HS and early college listed a bizarre accomplishment i achieved. Multiple year corn husking champion... i was asked about it in EVERY interview I went to

preamble

Postby preamble » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 pm

itascot1992 wrote:
preamble wrote:No, I did not. A family friend of mine is currently on the program this season; I was just wondering.

We had a "Fat acceptance zealot" PS guy... i think you could add that on the app, it would be a great talking point in an interview.... I for years in HS and early college listed a bizarre accomplishment i achieved. Multiple year corn husking champion... i was asked about it in EVERY interview I went to

What is "fat acceptance zealot?" Social activism?

My only concern would be the potential homophobia; drag culture, despite its recent popularity, is still very underground/marginally peripheral.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:42 pm

I feel like that could go either way depending on who reads your file, so it would be something of a gamble. Same thing with the various Tumblr social causes like fat acceptance.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 pm

preamble wrote:Hypothetically speaking; if you were a drag performer (female illusion) and you ended up in some huge national competition like RuPaul's Drag Race and eventually won, would that be something too peculiar to put on a law school application?

What are your numbers? Where do you want to go to school?

I feel like if you're in the number range for YS it would help you there. If you want to go to Berkeley it will probably help you there. Either way I think it's interesting and it's part of who you are, so if it were me I would put it on every application with the idea that if you don't get accepted for that reason, it's probably not somewhere you want to go anyway, but I know that's a little like cliche parental advice.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am

Seems to me like this would be a positive for admissions purposes at most law schools.

ETA: would it be appropriate to couch this by saying something like "won a national pageant" or similar? Or is that inapplicable/disingenuous? Idk much about drag.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 am

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 am

A guy a couple years ago wrote his PS about how he was an HIV+ homosexual Indian man from a wealthy family, and how he simply "must go to Columbia." Not sure if he got in or if he his still kicking around TLS.

The answer, IMO, is no, your friend should not include the drag competitions. Then again, yolo.

preamble

Postby preamble » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am

Pneumonia wrote:Seems to me like this would be a positive for admissions purposes at most law schools.

ETA: would it be appropriate to couch this by saying something like "won a national pageant" or similar? Or is that inapplicable/disingenuous? Idk much about drag.

I don't even know how to describe it other than "drag competition." The show is most analogous to America's Next Top Model.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”