Is being placed on the waitlist a polite form of rejection?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spideynutskllz

Is being placed on the waitlist a polite form of rejection?

Postby spideynutskllz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Do people on the wait list usually get accepted to the university?
I've been placed on the wait list at UCLA. I heard that they usually start considering wait listed applicants some time in the summer.
Does that mean that in the meantime I need to submit my deposit at my 2nd choice? What if I get accepted over the summer? Do I just lose my deposit at the other school?
UCLA is near my home but my other options are in other parts of the country. How do I know if I should start looking for housing or not?
The whole wait list process seems unpredictable. Any advice?
Sorry if this question has been asked before!

zombie mcavoy

Re: Is being placed on the waitlist a polite form of rejection?

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Depends on the school. Can't speak to UCLA, but, for example, Virginia basically gives everyone they ding a polite waitlist and offers admission only to a tiny portion of that group.

But because you're in this situation, you should be retaking. It's unlikely you're going to get a scholarship good enough to justify attending most any school -- especially UCLA -- when coming off a waitlist.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 pm

With regards to your chances of getting off the waitlist (the hardest of your questions to answer/predict), check out what the UCLA applicants thread has to say, about halfway down the page (look for the big chunk of text): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=236557&start=650

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 pm

spideynutskllz wrote:Do people on the wait list usually get accepted to the university?
I've been placed on the wait list at UCLA. I heard that they usually start considering wait listed applicants some time in the summer.
Does that mean that in the meantime I need to submit my deposit at my 2nd choice? What if I get accepted over the summer? Do I just lose my deposit at the other school?
UCLA is near my home but my other options are in other parts of the country. How do I know if I should start looking for housing or not?
The whole wait list process seems unpredictable. Any advice?
Sorry if this question has been asked before!

1) "Usually"? No. By definition, the chances of anyone being admitted from the waitlist are low.
2-5) Yes, you should "plan for the worst, hope for the best". That means proceed with your next best option as if you won't get in to your 1st choice. That means paying deposits, finding housing, heck maybe even moving without having a final decision from UCLA. Everyone has a different comfort level. I've admitted people from the waitlist six weeks before school started who turned me down because they didn't have "enough time" to make the move. I've admitted others the day before orientation who made it happen. I had a buddy who didn't get his acceptance to his 1st choice until he was TWO WEEKS into law school 2 states away. He moved, slept in his car, and showered at the rec center until he found a place because that's how bad he wanted to be at that school.

You'll have to decide for yourself how long you feel comfortable putting off planning for your future, but at some point you may just have to accept UCLA ain't gonna happen and move forward positively with your 2nd choice and be good with that. Starting law school as a sad panda and feeling that you don't want to be there isn't a recipe for success in my experience.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”