Stress in legal careers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
buckiguy_sucks

Stress in legal careers

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes
is that cool?

Re: Stress in legal careers

Postby landshoes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:08 am

I know a lot of stressed lawyers who would otherwise be pretty chill. They're not really type A or they would have gone into finance or medicine.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:11 am

I also wonder how much of the stress/workload issues come from people being K-JD and going from school to full-on professional workloads.

I'm coming from a job pre-law school that was 50-60 hours per week, billable tracking for every 10th of an hour, and the primary clients were BigLaw firms who expected BigLaw availability. Is it going to be that much worse going up to 60-70 hours per week after school?

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:17 am

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 am

i think the problem is the stress can come on so many different fronts. some type A people are stressed about doing everything right (which is impossible here) while having time to do anything outside work. they get stressed because it feels like they have a ton on their plate and can't see a poiint in time which it'll be done. then you have others who don't work so hard they kill themselves (still hard but not as hard) and i think they are stressed because they know they have at most 3 or 4 years here to build up substantive skills to get someone else to hire them. so they are stressed on the front of constantly worrying about job security and trying to look for an escape route.

basically you live in a straw hut in the middle of a california forest fire. if you arent stressed about prepping your house not to go up in flames, youre gonna be stressed about how to escape a burning straw hut.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”