LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:09 am

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Username123 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 am

Before most can answer, how many times have you taken the LSAT? And how did you study?

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:36 am

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 am

I'm strongly opposed to this addendum at all.

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:38 am

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:43 am

Your job is to show the admissions people that you are good at things, and you intend to demonstrate this by not only submitting the required thing you are bad at (lsat), but supporting it with other non-required tests you are also bad at? I understand the angle that you're getting at, but I don't agree with it. Minimize your flaws and stress your strengths, not the other way around.

User avatar
McJimJam
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:48 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 am

What school?

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 am

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 am

McJimJam wrote:You don't need to provide proof for your weaknesses, you need to provide proof for your strengths and how they overshadow your weakness.


Doesn't providing proof of my strengths and why they overshadow my weaknesses require explaining my weakness to some degree though?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:58 am

The thing is, you only get limited time/space/attention span to make an impression. Additional support of how you are bad at tests so they can admit you so you can take their tests isn't usually a good use of an application. It draws attention to the most important and weakest part of your application.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:59 am

Also, please tell me you're planning for Sept, and not applying in mid March.

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 am

Clearly wrote:Also, please tell me you're planning for Sept, and not applying in mid March.


Yes.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Username123 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:02 am

I hope you're well aware that law school grades are primarily determined off your performance on one exam for each class.

Before you even think about admitting your weaknesses (not good at taking tests, which I don't buy, no offense), you need to fully commit yourself to your LSAT prep for your next test(s).

How did you study for the one test? Provide details - e.g., read Manhattan books front to back, drilled for a certain time and PT'd with how many tests...

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 am

duras9992 wrote:
McJimJam wrote:You don't need to provide proof for your weaknesses, you need to provide proof for your strengths and how they overshadow your weakness.


Doesn't providing proof of my strengths and why they overshadow my weaknesses require explaining my weakness to some degree though?


Actually no. I had an absolutely terrible GPA, and didn't say a word about it. I opted to use my space to talk about the things I can offer, rather than attempt to mitigate the things I can't offer. Worked out well for me.

User avatar
UOI4430
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby UOI4430 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:08 am

Retake. A low LSAT addendum is a bad idea.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:12 am

Seriously, I am positive you can do better on the LSAT.

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby duras92 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:21 am

Uschoolqb10 wrote:I hope you're well aware that law school grades are primarily determined off your performance on one exam for each class.

Before you even think about admitting your weaknesses (not good at taking tests, which I don't buy, no offense), you need to fully commit yourself to your LSAT prep for your next test(s).

How did you study for the one test? Provide details - e.g., read Manhattan books front to back, drilled for a certain time and PT'd with how many tests...


I'm aware of how law school classes are graded.

I get how this type of "bad test taker" can backfire on me. I just feel that adcomms would be scratching their heads while reading my application if I didn't address this weakness.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:23 am

duras9992 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:I hope you're well aware that law school grades are primarily determined off your performance on one exam for each class.

Before you even think about admitting your weaknesses (not good at taking tests, which I don't buy, no offense), you need to fully commit yourself to your LSAT prep for your next test(s).

How did you study for the one test? Provide details - e.g., read Manhattan books front to back, drilled for a certain time and PT'd with how many tests...


I'm aware of how law school classes are graded.

I get how this type of "bad test taker" can backfire on me. I just feel that adcomms would be scratching their heads while reading my application if I didn't address this weakness.

Address the weakness by retaking in June and scoring higher

Alan Grant
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Alan Grant » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:28 am

You should retake. No addendum. If you have a history of poor performance on standardized exams--but you do well in a top school--you might have ADD or another condition, which, under the new policies of LSAC, allow for a number testing accommodations, including extended time without having your LSAT score flagged.

But even if you are not eligible for these accommodations, you most certainly can improve your LSAT score. You are already at the 25 percentile so you probably don't even have to do that much to gain the points necessary to get to the 75 percentile or above, which I–-and most others on TLS––would strongly advise you to do in order to maximize your scholarship outcomes.

Also, what school?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby Username123 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:How did you study for the one test? Provide details - e.g., read Manhattan books front to back, drilled for a certain time and PT'd with how many tests...

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13818
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: LSAT addendum - Low standardized test history

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Study for a re-take instead.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NCGuy and 3 guests