Can an applicant too young to be disadvantaged?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Can an applicant too young to be disadvantaged?

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm

I don't see what age has to do with LSAT. There is no content involved.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm

jwalche wrote:The girl I hypothesized really doesn't exist. At least not yet. But I wasn't trolling either, not intentionally anyway. I am sorry for disturbing you. I was only trying to collect a vital information. It seems that age discrimination at law school admission for a 15yo girl would be tolerable, if there is any. I thank your collective wisdom.

I know many students who started graduate study around 15, and they all say it was very hard, and especially hard to get in their favorite phD program due to their age. None of them were in law. I suspected that it would be different as many suggested that law school admission is mainly a number game. But I wanted a little more assurance.

I wanted this information so that I could relay it to my 12yo daughter, who earned high school diploma equivalent at 10. She is in her 3rd semester in local community college, almost finished lower level major requirements, and is half way completing GE. She seriously considers graduating at a local univ with BFA in Spatial Arts and then studying law, before doing MFA. She has 4.0 gpa so far, and recent first try on LSAT practice was not 165, but was good enough to reasonably expect 165 in two years or so, thanks to heavy reading and practicing deductive reasoning with MindBender books.

Please be rest assured that I will also relay your collective advise of not going to law school early. It won't be my decision after all.

Thank god you aren't my parent. :D

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:07 pm

LawsRUs wrote:you just have to sit down with her and ask her what she wants.

We do that all the time. That's why she is ended up spending majority of her time with clay instead of math and science.
Incredible people will do great things if they find and do what they love to do.

But I don't care much of her doing great things. My goal is her being happy.

I suggested focusing on fine arts that she has loved so much. We had seriously considered art high school, graduating at normal age, and going to a better art college. But she eventually decided not to do it.

She wants to do arts but something else too. Most of other fields - business, science, etc - require some heavy prep in college. But law was different. All she needs is a good grade while doing arts, which is not too hard at a local univ. She also has talent in critical thinking and logic, more talent than she has in arts.

Law was one of my suggestions that she decided on her own. But we aren't going to stop looking for other options and I won't be disappointed whatever else she decides to pursue with her life.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't see what age has to do with LSAT. There is no content involved.

Cognitive ability impacts one's LSAT score, and it tends to peak late in adolescence.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:34 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't see what age has to do with LSAT. There is no content involved.

Cognitive ability impacts one's LSAT score, and it tends to peak late in adolescence.

Ah I thought it peaked earlier.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:22 pm

reasonable person wrote:
jwalche wrote:The girl I hypothesized really doesn't exist. At least not yet. But I wasn't trolling either, not intentionally anyway. I am sorry for disturbing you. I was only trying to collect a vital information. It seems that age discrimination at law school admission for a 15yo girl would be tolerable, if there is any. I thank your collective wisdom.

I know many students who started graduate study around 15, and they all say it was very hard, and especially hard to get in their favorite phD program due to their age. None of them were in law. I suspected that it would be different as many suggested that law school admission is mainly a number game. But I wanted a little more assurance.

I wanted this information so that I could relay it to my 12yo daughter, who earned high school diploma equivalent at 10. She is in her 3rd semester in local community college, almost finished lower level major requirements, and is half way completing GE. She seriously considers graduating at a local univ with BFA in Spatial Arts and then studying law, before doing MFA. She has 4.0 gpa so far, and recent first try on LSAT practice was not 165, but was good enough to reasonably expect 165 in two years or so, thanks to heavy reading and practicing deductive reasoning with MindBender books.

Please be rest assured that I will also relay your collective advise of not going to law school early. It won't be my decision after all.

Thank god you aren't my parent. :D

That was harsh

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:29 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
reasonable person wrote:Thank god you aren't my parent. :D

That was harsh

god was gracious nevertheless.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”