Can an applicant too young to be disadvantaged?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cron1834

Re: Can an applicant too young to be disadvantaged?

Postby cron1834 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:05 pm

"Clay for an A" - that was pretty good.

OP, this is dumb, wait like 5 years and grow up first.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:07 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:I think the TLS mods make random topics so they can keep getting traffic.

I like to imagine the flamiest of flames are all DF.

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:39 pm

I appreciate all the great insight! I still would love to hear more about the original question itself. How big a disadvantage the age would be?

preamble

Postby preamble » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:40 pm

jwalche wrote:I appreciate all the great insight! I still would love to hear more about the original question itself. How big a disadvantage the age would be?

If the disadvantage was a watermelon, it'd be a sizable watermelon.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:42 pm

jwalche wrote:How big a disadvantage the age would be?

See: the rest of this thread.

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 pm

jwalche wrote:In a hypothetical situation, how much age-related hardship a 15 years old applicant will experience with top law school admission, assuming that she has 4.0 GPA from a local university majoring Fine Arts with 165 points on LSAT?

Can't tell if serious or trolling

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c7/c71853c ... 8fbd01.jpg

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:46 pm

jwalche wrote:I appreciate all the great insight! I still would love to hear more about the original question itself. How big a disadvantage the age would be?

I'd imagine it would be insurmountable

No one would want to hire you or have you as their lawyer and the school part of law school is like one of the least intellectually stimulating/satisfying forms of school so I don't see any reason why you would do this.

If you want to collect more degrees go get a PhD or something

Tradition Never Changes. Neither do Champions.

Postby 052220152 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:04 am

1) You won't fit in your peers. Sure there might be some people you strike a friendship with, and people won't be overtly mean to you. But you won't be able to relate to the vast, vast, vast majority of the students socially. Seriously, you can't drink in law school and that is a large component of the social function. You won't even be allowed to teetotal at the bars.

2) I bet firms would be hesitant to hire a 18 year old kid who has never had any meaningful employment, nor is of the age in which workers are thought to be mature-ish and ready to enter the professional world.

3) I doubt some client is going to want to pay for an 18 year old to bill on their matter.

4) Seriously go get some job in a law office for 5 years or so, have fun with your friends, party, and enjoy life. Then come back if you're so inclined.

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:14 am

I can very well understand how big disadvantage the age would be during the law study and in the career. However, what I would like to hear and asked in the beginning is how big disadvantage the age would be in law school admission process. Someone mentioned about possible interview question. Anything else?
Last edited by jwalche on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 052220152 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:17 am

jwalche wrote:I can very well understand how big disadvantage the age would be in career. However, what I would like to hear and asked in the beginning is how big disadvantage the age would be in law school admission process. Someone mentioned about possible interview question. Anything else?

with your lsat and gpa i doubt there'd be any age penalty and you'd get into the schools someone ten years old would. but why would you get a law degree without wanting to be a lawyer. law school is not some great academic endeavor. its people scrambling for jobs and vomiting words for four hours, 8 times a year, onto their laptops.

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 am

Jim Jones wrote:with your lsat and gpa i doubt there'd be any age penalty and you'd get into the schools someone ten years old would. but why would you get a law degree without wanting to be a lawyer.

Thank you about the no age penalty idea. Why do you think so though? I talked many in different academic fields and most of them said it was very hard to get in to good graduate/phd program because of their young age.

About wanting to be lawyer. Let's say the girl would be considering starting part-time solo practice using family connections, to supply steady income, to provide intellectual stimulation, and to help her in advocating some good causes. While she wants to be a life-long sculptor, she wants to also do something else meaningful in some other way while saving her from teaching arts or doing commercial work for income.

Postby 052220152 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 am

jwalche wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:with your lsat and gpa i doubt there'd be any age penalty and you'd get into the schools someone ten years old would. but why would you get a law degree without wanting to be a lawyer.

Thank you about the no age penalty idea. Why do you think so though? I talked many in different academic fields and most of them said it was very hard to get in to good graduate/phd program because of their young age.

About wanting to be lawyer. Let's say the girl would be considering starting part-time solo practice using family connections, to supply steady income, to provide intellectual stimulation, and to help her in advocating some good causes. While she wants to be a life-long sculptor, she wants to also do something else meaningful in some other way while saving her from teaching arts or doing commercial work for income.

they don't care because you have numbers that help float their usnwr rankings

thats a terrible idea. you won't get steady income being a part time solo who knows nothing. you won't get intellectually stimulated grinding out duis, divorces, wills, or whatever else you can maybe get your hand on. if you want to advocate for a good cause, why don't you just get a job at an interesting non profit

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 am

Jim Jones wrote:they don't care because you have numbers that help float their usnwr rankings

That was my impression from reading in this forum. Thanks. Seems unfair. But she would be a beneficiary of this system being talented in LSAT, especially in Logic Games.

solo who knows nothing.

I am assuming that she has someone who will not only teach her the trade in the beginning, but also closely advise her for coming years, if she chooses that path.

if you want to advocate for a good cause, why don't you just get a job at an interesting non profit

Perhaps because she wants to save half of her energy for arts, and also she wants to be in more control of what she does.
Last edited by jwalche on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 052220152 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:52 am

your plan sounds terrible dont do it

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 am

Jim Jones wrote:your plan sounds terrible dont do it

Care to explain a bit in detail please?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 am

jwalche wrote:

Care to explain a bit in detail please?

I think all of us would love to talk to her, how about we talk to her,
also, OP, you have really good quoting skills in your posts for a person with 8 posts, makes me think that you are trolling.. :|

(my last post itt, pls don't waste our time, thanks, she should listen to what everyone said itt, it's good advice/insight)

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:16 am

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 am

Please please please for the love of god get some work experience first - don't apply until you are at least 21. As it's been mentioned already, even if you could get into the law school of your dreams you will have a very hard time fitting in with your peers in a field where networking is key and even if you get great grades in law school I'm 99.9% sure many firms would think twice about you because of how young you would be when you start working. It will be a hard uphill battle.

3+ years of experience would make your application more well rounded regardless of what you do.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 am

LawsRUs wrote:also, OP, you have really good quoting skills in your posts for a person with 8 posts, makes me think that you are trolling.. :|

there are plenty of reasons to suspect trolling, but this is not one of them. Quoting correctly is not hard.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 am

What you said aight mouse; i was annoyed

jwalche

Postby jwalche » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:28 pm

The girl I hypothesized really doesn't exist. At least not yet. But I wasn't trolling either, not intentionally anyway. I am sorry for disturbing you. I was only trying to collect a vital information. It seems that age discrimination at law school admission for a 15yo girl would be tolerable, if there is any. I thank your collective wisdom.

I know many students who started graduate study around 15, and they all say it was very hard, and especially hard to get in their favorite phD program due to their age. None of them were in law. I suspected that it would be different as many suggested that law school admission is mainly a number game. But I wanted a little more assurance.

I wanted this information so that I could relay it to my 12yo daughter, who earned high school diploma equivalent at 10. She is in her 3rd semester in local community college, almost finished lower level major requirements, and is half way completing GE. She seriously considers graduating at a local univ with BFA in Spatial Arts and then studying law, before doing MFA. She has 4.0 gpa so far, and recent first try on LSAT practice was not 165, but was good enough to reasonably expect 165 in two years or so, thanks to heavy reading and practicing deductive reasoning with MindBender books.

Please be rest assured that I will also relay your collective advise of not going to law school early. It won't be my decision after all.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 pm

:shock:

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:13 pm

jwalche wrote:The girl I hypothesized really doesn't exist. At least not yet. But I wasn't trolling either, not intentionally anyway. I am sorry for disturbing you. I was only trying to collect a vital information. It seems that age discrimination at law school admission for a 15yo girl would be tolerable, if there is any. I thank your collective wisdom.

I know many students who started graduate study around 15, and they all say it was very hard, and especially hard to get in their favorite phD program due to their age. None of them were in law. I suspected that it would be different as many suggested that law school admission is mainly a number game. But I wanted a little more assurance.

I wanted this information so that I could relay it to my 12yo daughter, who earned high school diploma equivalent at 10. She is in her 3rd semester in local community college, almost finished lower level major requirements, and is half way completing GE. She seriously considers graduating at a local univ with BFA in Spatial Arts and then studying law, before doing MFA. She has 4.0 gpa so far, and recent first try on LSAT practice was not 165, but was good enough to reasonably expect 165 in two years or so, thanks to heavy reading and practicing deductive reasoning with MindBender books.

Please be rest assured that I will also relay your collective advise of not going to law school early. It won't be my decision after all.

walche, I understand and can empathize with your concern. Your daughter sounds incredible, you just have to sit down with her and ask her what she wants. Incredible people will do great things if they find and do what they love to do. You sound like a great and supportive parent, I hope you will continue to support her even if she says law is or is not her interest.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm

If your daughter can score 165 at 15, imagine what she can score as a 21 year old. Don't ruin her life by letting her go to law school when she's barely past puberty.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 pm

So...SBL thread?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”