"Unofficial" recommendation recommendations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robertloblawslawblog

"Unofficial" recommendation recommendations

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Last edited by robertloblawslawblog on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Re: "Unofficial" recommendation recommendations

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:48 pm

robertloblawslawblog wrote:But for these people who would not be official recommendations, what role could they play?

Hi Robert.
I'm not sure what you mean by "official recs." Do you mean people who went through law school writing recs? If that's what you meant by it, whether your recommender went through LS is not relevant. I am going to suggest finding two people whom you know well, and they know you well enough. People who can write intimately, and not detached as in the way that a "prominent politician" would for example. People who can provide anecdotes. Basically, your cheerleaders, your mentors. Their titles don't mean anything, and nobody needs to know nobody's dads for them to write recs. Wow, it's March, and you're on it, good for you. One thing that I didn't factor in when I applied was how my recommenders can take forever to get around to the letters. GL!

robertloblawslawblog

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks!

Helpful but not exactly what I meant.

I know I'll have 3-4 decent people who know me well and can write well of me in an official recommendation. I guess my question is- is there any good that can come from these other people (who would not be writing reccs) getting in touch with someone at the school? And if so, what do I ask them to do? Who do they get in touch with?

To be clear, these are people that still know me through work and would be able to say something substantive. They're just not the best people.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a tool. I swear I'm not. It's just one of these people has offered to do something and I don't know what they should do.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I've heard a law school dean talk about this kind of thing- in their hypo it was a former president calling to vouch for the candidate- and I was pretty surprised to hear that he said that they actually kind of take that into account as part of the whole application package. Not like as a deciding factor, but as a "this president is a lawyer who knows what good lawyers look like, let's think about that when we look at this applicant" kind of thing. That said, unless you know Bill Clinton, I doubt it's worth the effort.
Last edited by leslieknope on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:52 pm

You're on TV!

robertloblawslawblog

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Totally busted, Kmart. Though I'm more formal these days.

Thanks leslieknope! That is super helpful.

I think the hope is that I'm showing the people reading apps- "hey, I'm employable. Grads of your school who are in hiring positions think I am, at least."

On the off chance an email from one of them finds its way into the app folder, I suppose it's worth it. I don't think it can hurt. I guess I'll just have them email whoever they know at the school? Or like, the head of their alum committee to forward to someone in admissions?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”