What's worse for law school pt. 2

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mariekcollins

What's worse for law school pt. 2

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 am

I apologize in advance -- I asked an extremely similar question a few days ago, but now it's either
a) get a C- in my UG major class, retake and (probably) get an A
or b) get a B or B- in my UG major class

Either way, I think the LSAC GPA would be the same, but which would look better transcript wise?

Thanks for the help! I'm quite torn at the moment.

whitespider

Re: What's worse for law school pt. 2

Postby whitespider » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:28 am

Why not get a B in your UG major class, then instead of retaking, just take a different class and get an A? Isn't that better than both your options?

mariekcollins

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:42 am

Well I was planning on taking 3 classes next quarter, if I retook it, I could just add an extra class to the workload. I thought maybe it would look bad to get a B/B- in a major class? I probably wouldn't have minded one B if it were in a GE class, but I also wanted to transfer, and colleges would only see 4 quarters of work

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:45 am

Step 1: Schedule an appointment with your doctor
Step 2: Get a Xanax prescription
Step 3: Chill

mariekcollins

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:48 am

Lol, your picture is gold.
Also, the final's in 10 hours, so I probs need to decide on something, but Xanax sounds great at the moment.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 am

Don't do the retaking thing. 99% of schools only care about your overall GPA. For those few schools that are going to pay attention to your individual courses, neither of these options is really good/bad or right/wrong. But if you retake you have to take a class twice, which is a waste of time. I'm also not sure why a middling grade (B) in a major course looks worse than getting a fairly poor grade (C) in the course, even if you do follow it up with an A.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 am

Then study more and stop complaining. You're just trying to find validation for being lazy and doing less work.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:52 am

B/B- is fine dude. GL on your final!! :) :D :mrgreen:

mariekcollins

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:54 am

Thanks Nony, and thanks Laws. :). I'll try to get a B, I was just afraid it would negatively impact future admissions.

I'm really not trying to complain here, I messed up on a midterm and I'm just trying to fix the mess I've made. It's kind of rude for you to assume I'm being lazy, but okay.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:58 am

It's going to be okay dude. I messed up on my paper this semester too. The best I can do in that class is B+. Meh, life goes on dude. Just enjoy UG.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:58 am

mariekcollins wrote:Thanks Nony, and thanks Laws. :). I'll try to get a B, I was just afraid it would negatively impact future admissions.

I'm really not trying to complain here, I messed up on a midterm and I'm just trying to fix the mess I've made. It's kind of rude for you to assume I'm being lazy, but okay.

You're laying out your options as either getting a C-level grade in the class or getting a B-level grade in the class. So basically what you're asking is "should I actually study and try for the B or should I just accept defeat and coast to the C?" Do you have another explanation?

mariekcollins

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:03 am

LawsRUs wrote:It's going to be okay dude. I messed up on my paper this semester too. The best I can do in that class is B+. Meh, life goes on dude. Just enjoy UG.

True, finals just have me in a bunch. Good luck in your class too :)

scottidsntknow wrote:You're laying out your options as either getting a C-level grade in the class or getting a B-level grade in the class. So basically what you're asking is "should I actually study and try for the B or should I just accept defeat and coast to the C?" Do you have another explanation?

Well getting the C- isn't exactly ideal for me, but it would be so that I can retake the class and boost my overall GPA. A C- is the lowest grade you can get and still be able to retake a class to replace your GPA at my school.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:06 am

What if you end up retaking the class and missing out on an A again? Don't electively get a C-level grade, that's just silly.

mariekcollins

Postby mariekcollins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am

I was banking on an extra quarter's worth of classwork would make it easier to get an A, but you're right, a C- is a risk. A B grade may very well drop my GPA, but it's safer.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:23 am

Just get the best grades you can

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 am

Good luck, enjoy undergrad. A B here or there won't sink you. Fwiw I had like a 3.2 first semester of undergrad and ended up with a 3.8.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”