Is Dental School a better option?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I was going to note that too: people like dentists less than doctors because dental problems are often considered some kind of moral failing—you didn't brush / floss well enough. So if you have a problem with your teeth, you're not only in pain, but might also feel guilty and embarrassed about it. Your frustration can then be displaced onto the dentist.

Perhaps "universally despised" was a bit dramatic, but in any case being a dentist means seeing a parade of people who don't want to see you, and this is at the same time that other medical professionals are glorified in pop culture and constantly praised for benefitting society. I can understand how that would demoralizing.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFGIUbRC_Y

HTH

preamble
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby preamble » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:50 pm

It depends on the context; I find that people dislike going to the dentist when it's a routine check-up and Dr. Brown is gonna give you a hard time because you're clearly not brushing twice a day but for someone who has a severe toothache, for instance, being able to afford to see a dentist is a godsend.

User avatar
jgraves0510
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby jgraves0510 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 am

lawschoolftw wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Also how is looking to someone's mouth worse than sitting at a desk or in a cubicle---reading a bunch of boring documents and typing away at a computer? It's way more interesting to actually to work with your hands than sit at a desk reading documents all day IMO. I enjoy doing hands-on stuff. I draw, paint, knit and do a lot of hands-on stuff.


I have no idea why you think you want to go to law school and be a lawyer. This is like reverse-TLS where instead of OP trying to convince TLS that law school is a good idea, she's trying to convince us all that being a lawyer is a terrible idea.


Was already hysterically laughing reading this thread and then this comment had me in tears.

User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:48 am

pollywolly88 wrote:My state Dental School only costs 15K a year. Dental graduates in my area earn around 150K per year. They only work 32 hours a week. The dentists have Fridays off so they only work Monday to Thursday. If you have an established private practice, you make 250K+. On the other hand, lawyers have to work 80+ hours a week to make 160K and there is much less job stability....

I did very well in undergrad and in premed requirements. I have the grades to get into medical school so I am confident, I would be able to get into one of my state/public dental schools.

Would this be a better option? Being a dentist isn't my passion but to be honest, being a lawyer isn't a passion of mine either. I only considered being a lawyer because I enjoyed "writing" but I've realized legal writing is very boring to me. I also find reading legal documents to be kind of boring. Since neither being a dentist nor a lawyer is a passion of mine, should I just become a dentist? What do you think?

Thanks!


Your dental school only costs 15k/year? Just do it. Dentists barely work and make decent money.

And fwiw, it's not hard to get into dental school. Aren't most of them MD rejects? And the MD accepts like 50% of applicants anyway.

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:My state Dental School only costs 15K a year. Dental graduates in my area earn around 150K per year. They only work 32 hours a week. The dentists have Fridays off so they only work Monday to Thursday. If you have an established private practice, you make 250K+. On the other hand, lawyers have to work 80+ hours a week to make 160K and there is much less job stability....

I did very well in undergrad and in premed requirements. I have the grades to get into medical school so I am confident, I would be able to get into one of my state/public dental schools.

Would this be a better option? Being a dentist isn't my passion but to be honest, being a lawyer isn't a passion of mine either. I only considered being a lawyer because I enjoyed "writing" but I've realized legal writing is very boring to me. I also find reading legal documents to be kind of boring. Since neither being a dentist nor a lawyer is a passion of mine, should I just become a dentist? What do you think?

Thanks!


Your dental school only costs 15k/year? Just do it. Dentists barely work and make decent money.

And fwiw, it's not hard to get into dental school. Aren't most of them MD rejects? And the MD accepts like 50% of applicants anyway.


It's a STATE dental school. Yeah they have Fridays off.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 am

pollywolly88 wrote:
It's a STATE dental school. Yeah they have Fridays off.


I don't see a special snowflake like you going to a state school. If tuition isn't at least 50k it can't be worth going, right?

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:16 am

Also I shadowed an ORTHODONTIST on Thursday. He works 3 days a week. U mad????????????

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:22 am

RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
It's a STATE dental school. Yeah they have Fridays off.


I don't see a special snowflake like you going to a state school. If tuition isn't at least 50k it can't be worth going, right?


For Dental School, the state schools are actually more competitive to get into. It's different than law school or medical school because "prestige" matters very little in dentistry. SUNY Stonybrook dental school is more competitive to get into than Columbia dental...

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3052
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am

pollywolly88 wrote:Also I shadowed an ORTHODONTIST on Thursday. He works 3 days a week. U mad????????????


I'm fairly envious, but that ship sailed for me when I chose my UG majors.

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:27 am

In Lousiana, they still make dental school applicants take the chalk test.

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:28 am

Hikkomorist wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Also I shadowed an ORTHODONTIST on Thursday. He works 3 days a week. U mad????????????


I'm fairly envious, but that ship sailed for me when I chose my UG majors.


You can go back and do premed

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 am

I fell like pollywolly has had a bad experience with lawyers and now has a vendetta against the whole profession. Now she feels she need to troll a law school forum... what a life.

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:30 am

starry eyed wrote:I fell like pollywolly has had a bad experience with lawyers and now has a vendetta against the whole profession. Now she feels she need to troll a law school forum... what a life.


Nope, I just know a lot of lawyers who are unemployed or make like 40K. It's ridiculous to charge 50-60K a year in tuition and then end up UNEMPLOYED or making 40K....It's a SCAM, friends

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22805
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 am

pollywolly88 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:I fell like pollywolly has had a bad experience with lawyers and now has a vendetta against the whole profession. Now she feels she need to troll a law school forum... what a life.


Nope, I just know a lot of lawyers who are unemployed or make like 40K. It's ridiculous to charge 50-60K a year in tuition and then end up UNEMPLOYED or making 40K....It's a SCAM, friends

So why did you begin your posting here asking about law school, which you were clearly considering? Did you meet these unemployed lawyers all in the last week?

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:I fell like pollywolly has had a bad experience with lawyers and now has a vendetta against the whole profession. Now she feels she need to troll a law school forum... what a life.


Nope, I just know a lot of lawyers who are unemployed or make like 40K. It's ridiculous to charge 50-60K a year in tuition and then end up UNEMPLOYED or making 40K....It's a SCAM, friends

So why did you begin your posting here asking about law school, which you were clearly considering? Did you meet these unemployed lawyers all in the last week?



don't give in to her circular troll logic

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:46 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:I fell like pollywolly has had a bad experience with lawyers and now has a vendetta against the whole profession. Now she feels she need to troll a law school forum... what a life.


Nope, I just know a lot of lawyers who are unemployed or make like 40K. It's ridiculous to charge 50-60K a year in tuition and then end up UNEMPLOYED or making 40K....It's a SCAM, friends

So why did you begin your posting here asking about law school, which you were clearly considering? Did you meet these unemployed lawyers all in the last week?


Well I "googled" and read lots of stories/articles about it. I don't know many lawyers IRL

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:59 am

pollywolly88 wrote:Also I shadowed an ORTHODONTIST on Thursday. He works 3 days a week. U mad????????????


I'm married to a doctor. Like an MD, not a dentist. Is ur mom SO JEALOUS?!

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Also I shadowed an ORTHODONTIST on Thursday. He works 3 days a week. U mad????????????


I'm married to a doctor. Like an MD, not a dentist. Is ur mom SO JEALOUS?!


Yes, she real mad. LOL

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm


User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:45 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
It's a STATE dental school. Yeah they have Fridays off.


I don't see a special snowflake like you going to a state school. If tuition isn't at least 50k it can't be worth going, right?


For Dental School, the state schools are actually more competitive to get into. It's different than law school or medical school because "prestige" matters very little in dentistry. SUNY Stonybrook dental school is more competitive to get into than Columbia dental...


There aren't any rankings for dental school right? So how do you know if your dentist is a good one? Or do you just not know since it matters little

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
It's a STATE dental school. Yeah they have Fridays off.


I don't see a special snowflake like you going to a state school. If tuition isn't at least 50k it can't be worth going, right?


For Dental School, the state schools are actually more competitive to get into. It's different than law school or medical school because "prestige" matters very little in dentistry. SUNY Stonybrook dental school is more competitive to get into than Columbia dental...


There aren't any rankings for dental school right? So how do you know if your dentist is a good one? Or do you just not know since it matters little


There are no rankings. Most people don't know where their dentist went to school. Dentists work an average of 35 hours per week

http://thewealthydentist.com/surveyresu ... hours.htm/

pollywolly88
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby pollywolly88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:50 pm

To all the LAWYERS making fun of dentists--->

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Dr-Dental-of- ... TyQ2EMRH5w

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:20 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:And the MD accepts like 50% of applicants anyway.

Which is actually really low if you think about it. More than half of the applicant pool gets in NOWHERE any given cycle.

Polly, like I said before, you don't need to convince us--just go to dentistry school.

ub3r
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby ub3r » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 am

Really disappointed when I check in on this thread again and it's not about trucks

Get your shit together, people

omegaweapon
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 am

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Postby omegaweapon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 am

You know that dentists usually can't get paid residency, so some of them end up with like a million dollars in debt during their apprenticeship right?

By all means though, 16k a year tuition seems like a good deal to be a dentist.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, geoffreym, lawschool2017712 and 7 guests