Is Dental School a better option? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jakobe

New

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Post by Jakobe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:54 am

I don't know how dentists can do it, the high pitched whine from the drill they use would definitely drive me to suicide.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:07 am

umichman wrote:This is entirely subjective. If you want to be a dentist...dental school. If you want to be a lawyer... you probably dont know what a lawyer does, but you get the point.
I just want to make 150K+ and have a good work balance. being a lawyer sucks because the lawyers making 150K+ are working 80+ hours a week and have virtually no job stability. They get tossed out after a couple of years. It's pointless to ask---would you want to be a dentist or lawyer? I want to do whichever enables me to make money. I sure as hell would not want to be a lawyer if it meant making like 60-80K a year. It would be a waste of money to me.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am

pollywolly88 wrote:
umichman wrote:This is entirely subjective. If you want to be a dentist...dental school. If you want to be a lawyer... you probably dont know what a lawyer does, but you get the point.
I just want to make 150K+ and have a good work balance. Being a lawyer sucks because the lawyers making 150K+ are working 80+ hours a week and have virtually no job stability. They get tossed out after a couple of years. It's pointless to ask---would you want to be a dentist or lawyer? I want to do whichever enables me to make money. I sure as hell would not want to be a lawyer if it meant making like 60-80K a year. It would be a waste of money to me.
If those are your two goals in life then I hope that you'll find yourself one day.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:12 am

Then go be a dentist. What further information do you think you're going to get here that will help you decide?

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:16 am

pollywolly88 wrote:
I just want to make 150K+ and have a good work balance. Being a lawyer sucks because the lawyers making 150K+ are working 80+ hours a week and have virtually no job stability. They get tossed out after a couple of years. It's pointless to ask---would you want to be a dentist or lawyer? I want to do whichever enables me to make money. I sure as hell would not want to be a lawyer if it meant making like 60-80K a year. It would be a waste of money to me.
Please don't be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:23 am

pollywolly88 wrote:Programmer or IT is even MORE boring than being a dentist, so why would I want to do that??? Plus I don't have the skills to be a programmer or IT person---I'd have to go back to school to do that.
This is not as big of a barrier to entry as it used to be. There are a number of developer bootcamps around the country (some better than others) that allow you to learn how to do things such as use Ruby on Rails, etc. in a relatively short amount of time and become more marketable for tech firms (that often have better work-life balance than law firms). And on the point that programming is boring, it really depends on what you are doing with it (as with all things), but the one thing you will be able to get as a programmer / software developer is a solid salary (maybe not $150K but enough to not have to worry too much).

ETA: Also, 60 to 80K is still a fair chunk of change. I'm currently earning in this range, living in a big city where the COL is relatively high, banking a fair amount of it in retirement accounts, and still having enough to live comfortably.
Last edited by zaetoroftheprotoss on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 am

I think you're damn insane choosing to stick your hands in other people's mouths for money.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:10 am

Seconding the claim that you don't need formal training to start a career in the tech industry, but that will be lost on OP because she probably thinks "programmer" = Stanford/CMU grad starting at Google for $150k.

OP, you have an attitude problem. Don't do either until you've realized that there's more to life than obeying your parents and impressing people with a prestigious job title and fancy car.

I want OP to be a clever troll but sadly I think she really is this materialistic and strivery.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:26 am

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 am

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:39 am

Hikkomorist wrote:OP doesn't care about starting a career in any particular area; she cares about living comfortably (and probably being able to retire early), which for her means making $150k+. Just going to some boot camp probably isn't going to cut it, so why insist on that? You're focusing on the job itself when OP doesn't care about that.

From her posts / what she has said about her background, it appears that she will need to invest in some level of training to get a job paying $150K+, ergo the discussion about why law school vs. why dental school vs. bootcamp vs. whatever

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:50 am

Hikkomorist wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Seconding the claim that you don't need formal training to start a career in the tech industry, but that will be lost on OP because she probably thinks "programmer" = Stanford/CMU grad starting at Google for $150k.

OP, you have an attitude problem. Don't do either until you've realized that there's more to life than obeying your parents and impressing people with a prestigious job title and fancy car.

I want OP to be a clever troll but sadly I think she really is this materialistic and strivery.
OP doesn't care about starting a career in any particular area; she cares about living comfortably (and probably being able to retire early), which for her means making $150k+. Just going to some boot camp probably isn't going to cut it, so why insist on that? You're focusing on the job itself when OP doesn't care about that.
If you believe that you need $150k+ to "live comfortably," you need to reevaluate your priorities. That's just a fact.

Also she's apparently going to marry a rich surgeon anyway so she doesn't need a high salary to live like a rich person. This is definitely "money for the sake of social status" territory.

But anyway, I'm just disputing her claim that she can't do tech because she doesn't have the right degree. I really couldn't care less what she does.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:44 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Seconding the claim that you don't need formal training to start a career in the tech industry, but that will be lost on OP because she probably thinks "programmer" = Stanford/CMU grad starting at Google for $150k.

OP doesn't care about starting a career in any particular area; she cares about living comfortably (and probably being able to retire early), which for her means making $150k+. Just going to some boot camp probably isn't going to cut it, so why insist on that? You're focusing on the job itself when OP doesn't care about that.
If you believe that you need $150k+ to "live comfortably," you need to reevaluate your priorities. That's just a fact.

Also she's apparently going to marry a rich surgeon anyway so she doesn't need a high salary to live like a rich person. This is definitely "money for the sake of social status" territory.

But anyway, I'm just disputing her claim that she can't do tech because she doesn't have the right degree. I really couldn't care less what she does.
It's VERY expensive in big cities...And my attitude is certainly not ABNORMAL. Most people on this forum share the same opinion as me. Lots of people here say they wouldn't go to law school if they couldn't get into a T14 or BIGLAW. It's funny you would call me a striver when lawyers are notorious for being prestige-whores and strivers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 pm

We call them all prestige-whores and strivers, too.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Also how is looking into someone's mouth worse than sitting at a desk or in a cubicle? Instead of reading a bunch of boring documents and typing out a bunch of briefs/contracts/etc, I actually find hands-on work more interesting. I like to see results right away. Pulling out teeth may not be fascinating but I actually prefer it to sitting at a computer and working on Excel/Spreadsheets. I took a course to learn Financial Modeling and I wanted to gauge my eyes out. I HATE using Excel and doing spreadsheet work.
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:02 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Also how is looking to someone's mouth worse than sitting at a desk or in a cubicle---reading a bunch of boring documents and typing away at a computer? It's way more interesting to actually to work with your hands than sit at a desk reading documents all day IMO. I enjoy doing hands-on stuff. I draw, paint, knit and do a lot of hands-on stuff.
I have no idea why you think you want to go to law school and be a lawyer. This is like reverse-TLS where instead of OP trying to convince TLS that law school is a good idea, she's trying to convince us all that being a lawyer is a terrible idea.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:09 pm

A desk job doesn't involve other people's spit, blood, pus, or phlegm. If those things don't bother you I'm sure being a dentist will be just dandy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:11 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Also how is looking to someone's mouth worse than sitting at a desk or in a cubicle---reading a bunch of boring documents and typing away at a computer? It's way more interesting to actually to work with your hands than sit at a desk reading documents all day IMO. I enjoy doing hands-on stuff. I draw, paint, knit and do a lot of hands-on stuff.
I have no idea why you think you want to go to law school and be a lawyer. This is like reverse-TLS where instead of OP trying to convince TLS that law school is a good idea, she's trying to convince us all that being a lawyer is a terrible idea.
Well this was just in response to the people bashing dentists and saying being a dentist is boring. Honestly, most office jobs are boring. Can you name me any interesting office jobs? The really interesting, creative work doesn't pay. Being a lawyer is boring too in a different way (having to read lots and lots of boring documents and draft documents) and being in finance is incredibly boring as well (how many people think sitting on Excel and doing financial models for 100+ hours a week is interesting?). I am guessing most people haven't worked and think law/finance is like how it is depicted in the media. At least dentistry isn't glorified by the media so no one has a glamorized view of it.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:A desk job doesn't involve other people's spit, blood, pus, or phlegm. If those things don't bother you I'm sure being a dentist will be just dandy.
That honestly doesn't bother me at all because I will be wearing gloves anyway. The only concern I had was experiencing backache from having to bend over in a stool all day and having to work in a very small space. Things like blood, spit, etc has never grossed me out before....

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Is Dental School a better option?
Apparently not for GULC, heh.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:16 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:
Well this was just in response to the people bashing dentists and saying being a dentist is boring. Honestly, most office jobs are boring. Can you name me any interesting office jobs? The really interesting, creative work doesn't pay. Being a lawyer is boring too in a different way (having to read lots and lots of boring documents and draft documents) and being in finance is incredibly boring as well (how many people think sitting on Excel and doing financial models for 100+ hours a week is interesting?). I am guessing most people haven't worked and think law/finance is like how it is depicted in the media. At least dentistry isn't glorified by the media so no one has a glamorized view of it.
It seems like you've made up your mind, though. Dentist school it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:A desk job doesn't involve other people's spit, blood, pus, or phlegm. If those things don't bother you I'm sure being a dentist will be just dandy.
That honestly doesn't bother me at all because I will be wearing gloves anyway. The only concern I had was experiencing backache from having to bend over in a stool all day and having to work in a very small space. Things like blood, spit, etc has never grossed me out before....
Take yes for an answer already. If you'd like to be a dentist then go to dental school already. It's a fine career. Enjoy. Quit making your case when no one is arguing with you. I hope you find your doctor husband so you can make your status obsessed mother happy.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Lol seriously it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy being a lawyer at all just go be a dentist! You don't need to convince us

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
It seems as though you've just answered your own question.
/thread.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:34 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Also how is looking into someone's mouth worse than sitting at a desk or in a cubicle? Instead of reading a bunch of boring documents and typing out a bunch of briefs/contracts/etc, I actually find it way more interesting to do hands-on work. I like to fix things with my hands and see immediate results. I actually found it interesting to extract out teeth and put in implants. You see the results right away. It may not be fascinating but it's definitely preferable than sitting at a computer all day and working on Excel/Spreadsheets.

There. Dentistry it is then. Your heart seems more into it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”