Is Dental School a better option? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pollywolly88

Bronze

Is Dental School a better option?

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 pm

My state Dental School only costs 15K a year. Dental graduates in my area earn around 150K per year. They only work 32 hours a week. The dentists have Fridays off so they only work Monday to Thursday. If you have an established private practice, you make 250K+. On the other hand, lawyers have to work 80+ hours a week to make 160K and there is much less job stability....

I did very well in undergrad and in premed requirements. I have the grades to get into medical school so I am confident, I would be able to get into one of my state/public dental schools.

Would this be a better option? Being a dentist isn't my passion but to be honest, being a lawyer isn't a passion of mine either. I only considered being a lawyer because I enjoyed "writing" but I've realized legal writing is very boring to me. I also find reading legal documents to be kind of boring. Since neither being a dentist nor a lawyer is a passion of mine, should I just become a dentist? What do you think?

Thanks!
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Re: Is Dental School a better option?

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 pm

I understand that it is harder to get into dental school as there is only a handful of them. I also understand you really do need a solid DAT to get into any dental school, whereas there are now "schools" that don't even require an LSAT.

But, yeah, I think dentists do much better at grad and have way better quality of life. I haven't done considerable research, though. I just know what my dental school friends have told me.

You should look into it.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Thu May 07, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:My state Dental School only costs 15K a year. Dental graduates in my area earn around 150K per year if they join as an Associate at a dental practice after graduation. I shadowed a dentist and he only works Monday to Thurs and has Fridays off. He works in total 32 hours a week. He has his own practice and makes around 250K

Is Dental School a much better option than law school? Lawyers have to work 80 hours a week for a 160K salary...I did well in premed requirements and had the grades/scores to get into medical school so I am quite confident I can get into my state/public dental school.

Would this be a better option? Being a dentist isn't my passion but to be honest, being a lawyer isn't a passion of mine either. I only considered being a lawyer because I enjoyed "writing" but I looked into it recently and actually legal writing is very boring to me. I also find reading legal documents to be kind of boring---especially having to read dry legal documents and sit at a computer for 80+ hours a week. Since neither is a passion of mine, I am thinking being a dentist might be a better option. What do you think?

Thanks!
I don't get it. If you don't want to be a dentist and you don't want to be a lawyer, do neither.

Dentists have the highest suicide/depression rate of any grad-level profession fwiw, and its not really close

Alan Grant

New

Post by Alan Grant » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 pm

You should not go to law school, and, given your lack of enthusiasm, I am not sure dental school is a good either, though it certainly is the better option of the two. If these are the only options, go for dentistry. What is your passion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:04 pm

ReasonableNprudent wrote:I understand that it is harder to get into dental school as there is only a handful of them. I also understand you really do need a solid DAT to get into any dental school, whereas there are now "schools" that don't even require an LSAT.

But, yeah, I think dentists do much better at grad and have way better quality of life. I haven't done considerable research, though. I just know what my dental school friends have told me.

You should look into it.
Yes, on average it is tougher to get into dental school. I actually had the scores to get into medical school though so I am confident I could get into dental since dental school is easier to get into than medical school. (More gunners apply to med than dental).

But getting into a Top 10 Law School is also competitive (and you need to get into a top 10 law school in order to have a strong chance at BIGLAW from what I understand).

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Dentistry seems to have the best money/stress ratio of any profession.

You might also want to talk to the doctor troll in the other thread.

Also, TCR on TLS is "just do McKinsey, bro."

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Alan Grant wrote:You should not go to law school, and, given your lack of enthusiasm, I am not sure dental school is a good either, though it certainly is the better option of the two. If these are the only options, go for dentistry. What is your passion?
Well the problem is I have NO passion for anything. I have lots of hobbies/interests but no passion. I just want to make a good income
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alan Grant

New

Post by Alan Grant » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

[quote="ReasonableNprudent"]I understand that it is harder to get into dental school as there is only a handful of them. I also understand you really do need a solid DAT to get into any dental school, whereas there are now "schools" that don't even require an LSAT.

Never even open an email from a law school that does not require the LSAT. Delete it and purge it from your trash immediately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:09 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:I just want to make a decent income so I can buy a nice house, nice car and have a good lifestyle
Computer programming.

reasonable person

Bronze

Post by reasonable person » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:10 pm

You couldn't pay me enough to be a dentist.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Depending on how you define "good income," everyone who earns one has to suffer to do so. (Choose two of three: make money; like your job; stay within the law.)

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:I just want to make a decent income so I can buy a nice house, nice car and have a good lifestyle
Computer programming.
Computer programmers don't make as much as dentists. Plus programming jobs really suck. There is virtually no job stability and jobs are being outsourced. Plus I can't do that now since I already graduated UG

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Depending on how you define "good income," everyone who earns one has to suffer to do so. (Choose two of three: make money; like your job; stay within the law.)
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:I understand that it is harder to get into dental school as there is only a handful of them. I also understand you really do need a solid DAT to get into any dental school, whereas there are now "schools" that don't even require an LSAT.

You should look into it.
Yes, on average it is tougher to get into dental school. I actually had the scores to get into medical school though so I am confident I could get into dental since dental school is easier to get into than medical school. (More gunners apply to med than dental).

But getting into a Top 10 Law School is also competitive (and you need to get into a top 10 law school in order to have a strong chance at BIGLAW from what I understand).
Well, the difficulty of entrance really shouldn't be the determining factor. I just though I'd mention what I understood you to be up against.

And, yes, top 10 schools are hard to get into and are your best bet if Big Law is your goal. In fact, they are your best bet for most jobs.

I don't drink the Big Law cool-aid, though. It seems Big Law pays well, but it looks like they get more than their money's worth.
And, yes, Big Law is the goal for a large portion of the folks around here. You don't have to look very far in the forums to find Big Law associates that hate their life despite tremendous salaries.

It seems Big Law is most important to those that really look at law school as an investment towards a high paying job. And it sounds like that would be you, so I'm convinced dentistry or med school would be better for you in that you can achieve good pay and maintain a work/life balance.

If you want to help divorced dads stay in their kids' lives, or keep a guy with a face tattoo in or out of jail, or hold an insurance company responsible for paying a claim, or prevent scammers from driving up premiums, or one of the vast other areas of law, then you are probably better off going to a school where you can keep debt way down.

I'm more or less "shit-law" or bust. But that's just me. They can have the $160k for 80 work weeks and burnout inside of 5 years, while sacrificing the rest of what life has to offer.

If you're not into law you should do something else to make money--just about anything else, really.
Last edited by ReasonableNprudent on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Depending on how you define "good income," everyone who earns one has to suffer to do so. (Choose two of three: make money; like your job; stay within the law.)
I agree with you. But you can join a dental group as an associate and make 150K+ working only Monday to Thursday from 9 to 5 with Fridays off. Earning a 150K+ salary while having a 3 day weekend and only working 9 to 5 the other 4 days of the week gives you LOTS of time to chill/relax. Let's be honest, MOST jobs sucks. Even low-level jobs like Marketing, Sales etc really suck. You have to suffer to make even SHITTY money. I know because I worked a horrible Marketing job that didn't pay much money and I wanted to kill myself everyday because it's was so pointless and stupid. Being a dentist isn't as a bad because you are a high-skilled professional, you are helping patients and you aren't working for a huge corporation. You can have autonomy. Working for a big corporation is what causes most of the suffering in America. Most corporate jobs truly suck.
so go be a dentist bro

do ur thing
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Gray wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:Big corporations cause most suffering actually
Small companies with exclusively terrible people are worse than huge companies IME.
Perhaps. I have never worked for a small company so I don't know. I was just responding to the other poster who said high-income jobs cause suffering. Well you can have a job that doesn't pay that much and still suffer because either you don't like boss, don't like the work, etc....So "suffering" is not exclusive to high-earning professions

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Gray wrote:
Nony are you suggesting that the only way to make $$$ and like your job is to begin a life of crime? When I inevitably get arrested I'm pointing to this as the corrupting moment.
Ha, if I'm corrupting you, you sure don't have far to go.

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:28 pm

ReasonableNPrudent, the reason people want BIGLAW is to make a high income, otherwise I see no point because it's seems like 80+ hours of hell and very little job stability. Why do you want to do SHITLAW? You realize it only pays like 60K, right? Would you be able to pay off law school loans and live comfortably with that salary? Also SHITLAW jobs aren't that easy to get either. From what I heard there is so much competition for law jobs that even shitlaw jobs, get tons and tons of applications so you should still aim to go to a good law school...People from really crappy law schools, are unemployed or not even working as lawyers
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:31 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
I agree with you. But you can join a dental group as an associate and make 150K+ working only Monday to Thursday from 9 to 5 with Fridays off. Earning a 150K+ salary while having a 3 day weekend and only working 9 to 5 the other 4 days of the week gives you LOTS of time to chill/relax. Let's be honest, MOST jobs sucks. Even low-level jobs like Marketing, Sales etc really suck. You have to suffer to make even SHITTY money. I know because I worked a horrible Marketing job that didn't pay much money and I wanted to kill myself everyday because it's was so pointless and stupid. Being a dentist isn't as bad because you are a high-skilled professional, you are helping patients and you aren't working for a huge corporation. You can have autonomy. Working for a big corporation is what causes most of the suffering in America. Most corporate jobs truly suck.
Is this why the dentist suicide rate is notoriously high? Self-selection by people who mistakenly believe that dentistry will be less soul-crushing than other jobs?

Really dude, if you just want to support a decent lifestyle without stress, then go be a programmer or IT guy. High demand, no formal training required. But it seems like you're hung up on having a six-figure salary and a prestigious job title, so your question is really "I have this psychological hangup where I think I must be a lawyer, doctor, or dentist. Which of these is easiest?"

pollywolly88

Bronze

Post by pollywolly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:36 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:
I agree with you. But you can join a dental group as an associate and make 150K+ working only Monday to Thursday from 9 to 5 with Fridays off. Earning a 150K+ salary while having a 3 day weekend and only working 9 to 5 the other 4 days of the week gives you LOTS of time to chill/relax. Let's be honest, MOST jobs sucks. Even low-level jobs like Marketing, Sales etc really suck. You have to suffer to make even SHITTY money. I know because I worked a horrible Marketing job that didn't pay much money and I wanted to kill myself everyday because it's was so pointless and stupid. Being a dentist isn't as bad because you are a high-skilled professional, you are helping patients and you aren't working for a huge corporation. You can have autonomy. Working for a big corporation is what causes most of the suffering in America. Most corporate jobs truly suck.
Is this why the dentist suicide rate is notoriously high? Self-selection by people who mistakenly believe that dentistry will be less soul-crushing than other jobs?

Really dude, if you just want to support a decent lifestyle without stress, then go be a programmer or IT guy. High demand, no formal training required. But it seems like you're hung up on having a six-figure salary and a prestigious job title, so your question is really "I have this psychological hangup where I think I must be a lawyer, doctor, or dentist. Which of these is easiest?"

Well MOST lawyers don't even make 6 figures so I wouldn't put them in the same category as doctors/dentists....Programmer or IT is even MORE boring than being a dentist, so why would I want to do that??? Plus I don't have the skills to be a programmer or IT person---I'd have to go back to school to do that.
Last edited by pollywolly88 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:

I'm actually starting to think being a truck driver is the way to go. I like to look at scenery and listen to music. The job is mostly stress free save for sitting in traffic. Pay can be decent and you can get gigs where you are home nights. If you have a lousy home life you can get long haul gigs, too!

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
pollywolly88 wrote:

Well MOST lawyers don't even make 6 figures so I wouldn't put them in the same category as doctors/dentists....I am an Asian female. My mom really wants to me to become a Doctor or Dentist and marry a male Doctor
More checks in the doctor/dentist column. Now go directly to "top-dentistry-schools.com." It has been a nice visit with you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”