least useful rankings ever?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
butlerraider1

least useful rankings ever?

Postby butlerraider1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 pm

KMart

Re: least useful rankings ever?

Postby KMart » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Any rankings with Fordham at the top of it is a bad list.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Wasn't there a ranking a few years ago published by Cooley that had themselves as #1, for having the largest collective library?
I'm not sure if it still exists or not. But, yeah, that one.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:25 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:the TLS debate is finally over GULC>Cornell for NY

Lol. At 19% NY placement, GULC just edges out 'driving nails into your testicles'.

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:31 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:the TLS debate is finally over GULC>Cornell for NY

Also, Touro > Yale

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:33 pm

University of Miami just edging out Stanford for 38th, neither of which holds a candle to New York Law School at second.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:36 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:University of Miami just edging out Stanford for 38th, neither of which holds a candle to New York Law School at second.

WUSTL also conspicuously missing...

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:40 pm

KMart wrote:Any rankings with Fordham at the top of it is a bad list.

Even worse is having NYLS as number 2.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:41 pm

ranking based on sheer number of grads placed in particular market, without regard for literally anything else?

yes i love it.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 pm

ReasonableNprudent wrote:Wasn't there a ranking a few years ago published by Cooley that had themselves as #1, for having the largest collective library?

I think they were second behind Harvard.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:Wasn't there a ranking a few years ago published by Cooley that had themselves as #1, for having the largest collective library?

I think they were second behind Harvard.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/latest-c ... ishonesty/

looks like they took down the original list :cry:

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:57 pm

This ranking was brought to you by John Spencer Treu, Esq., LL.M., C.P.A.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:University of Miami just edging out Stanford for 38th, neither of which holds a candle to New York Law School at second.

WUSTL also conspicuously missing...

Thanks to:

"This ranking takes the data provided by the law schools to the ABA and is limited to on the top 3 jurisdictions for employment per school and so a school that placed more students in each of three other jurisdictions than New York would not be included on this list, even if the school placed more students in New York than the law schools here listed. ↵"

That year, MO, IL, and DC probably surpassed NY for WUSTL, ND, and probably others.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:24 am

Although this list is laughable, it does have an underlying point. If you're looking at law school fully committed to working in a specific city/region a strong regional isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of T14 or bust logic on this site, but depending on your career goals and the money you're offered, a regional may work for you; it's a more complicated picture than just the US news ranking.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:28 am

antiworldly wrote:Although this list is laughable, it does have an underlying point. If you're looking at law school fully committed to working in a specific city/region a strong regional isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of T14 or bust logic on this site, but depending on your career goals and the money you're offered, a regional may work for you; it's a more complicated picture than just the US news ranking.

There's very little T14 or bust logic on this site.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 am

Winston1984 wrote:
antiworldly wrote:Although this list is laughable, it does have an underlying point. If you're looking at law school fully committed to working in a specific city/region a strong regional isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of T14 or bust logic on this site, but depending on your career goals and the money you're offered, a regional may work for you; it's a more complicated picture than just the US news ranking.

And it does nothing to support the notion of going to a strong regional. It doesn't distinguish between any kinds of jobs, so in reality it's showing that if you go to NYLS you can get a job at Starbucks in Times Square.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

And it does nothing to support the notion of going to a strong regional. It doesn't distinguish between any kinds of jobs, so in reality it's showing that if you go to NYLS you can get a job at Starbucks in Times Square.

Certainly, and that's what makes this list laughable. I think there is a place, however, to look at where you want to end up and find a school that fits your needs for that market. If you go through the 'what are my chances' responses, the most parroted response is retake until you can get $ from a T14 and go there, which I feel is an ill-fitting solution to most people's goals.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:20 am

antiworldly wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

Certainly, and that's what makes this list laughable. I think there is a place, however, to look at where you want to end up and find a school that fits your needs for that market. If you go through the 'what are my chances' responses, the most parroted response is retake until you can get $ from a T14 and go there, which I feel is an ill-fitting solution to most people's goals.

I question your reading comprehension skillz if this is your takeaway from reading chances/choices threads

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 am

BigZuck wrote:I question your reading comprehension skillz if this is your takeaway from reading chances/choices threads

We seem to be agreeing on my main point of contention, and I'd encourage you to post more often in the chances/choices thread because at least this past year in most threads it has been a drumbeat of

middlebear wrote:Sit out and retake, and go to a T14.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 am

antiworldly wrote:I'd encourage you to post more often in the chances/choices thread

:shock: :arrow: :lol: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Ok, now I see that you're just trolling. Carry on.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:18 pm

antiworldly wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

A lot of posters come in with lofty goals/want biglaw. Whenever a poster says they want to work at a small firm in their hometown, folks are fine endorsing the state flagship for a low cost.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
antiworldly wrote:I'd encourage you to post more often in the chances/choices thread

Got to poke fun every once in a while! I am amazed though at the number of people with the T14 or bust mentality; with people going to law school without asking what/where next and choosing just on USNWR numbers.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:12 pm

antiworldly wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Got to poke fun every once in a while! I am amazed though at the number of people with the T14 or bust mentality; with people going to law school without asking what/where next and choosing just on USNWR numbers.

As Winston said, there is no T14 or bust mentality, just a "Go where you can get the job you want" mentality. It's not TLS' fault if what a lot of posters want necessitates going to a T14. Just cuz you like to try and stick square pegs into round holes doesn't mean other people think that's a good idea.

But this looks like a low-IQ contrarian schtick on your part so I'll stop harping on it

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”