Getting Back In Touch With a Former Professor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JuanitoHuang

Getting Back In Touch With a Former Professor

Postby JuanitoHuang » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:44 am

It's been around 2 years since undergrad; there was a professor with whom I conducted research under for his book who is probably my best candidate for a letter of rec. If anyone has any tips on how to re-connect with former instructors for this purpose (short of bluntly asking for a favor), it would be greatly appreciated!

antiworldly

Re: Getting Back In Touch With a Former Professor

Postby antiworldly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 am

Are you at all near your undergrad? Going in and talking in person and then asking for the rec letter is usually the best strategy, if you can. Driving for ~6 hours was a pain for me to go back to my undergrad, but totally worth it when you think of how essential rec letters are to your application.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Yeah, I think sitting down face to face is probably best, especially if you left on good terms and were friendly.

The thing that is hard for a lot of us to understand is that your Professors want to see you do well, and many of them want to be a part of your success.

Sitting down and trying to make them a part of the process, letting them know why you want to go to law school, what you've been up to since leaving school, asking for their advice on graduate school, telling them what your long term goals are and how you view it as connecting with your past, it will help them make a better essay. And don't forget to ask them about their current projects and how things are going in the Department!

So: I would tell them I want to ask for a rec., and would love to grab a cup of coffee to discuss the process and to catch up.

JuanitoHuang

Postby JuanitoHuang » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:02 pm

@antiworldly I am actually local; I stayed in the city where I went to school. And sour baby Jesus that is a long drive. But thanks for the tip!

@skool That's a relief (in regards to your comment on the professor's mentality). I'll be sure to follow that advice. Greatly appreciated!

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm still in UG but I emailed the request and then asked for a time where I could meet with them. I'd imagine following a pattern similar to this would be the best way to go about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”