Are there any 9 to 5 jobs as a lawyer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Void

Re: Are there any 9 to 5 jobs as a lawyer?

Postby Void » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:
Void wrote:I am a lawyer and work a state govt job 35 hours per week, plus an hour lunch every day. Although I sometimes have to hang around after 5:00, it's rare. I know dozens of lawyers with the same schedule. It isn't unusual at all for lawyers to work 40/week- in fact I think it's a very common thing.

And what is the pay?

The thing with law jobs that really do work 40 hours or less - you get paid a lot less than other office jobs that are 9 to 5 even with experience.

In New York, people working in fashion doing bullshit get paid more than lawyers. Fashion buyers make starting 70k+.

Yup, my salary sucks. But I would rather have a family life outside of work than make awesome money and never see my kid.

And you're right that people make way more money in other professions, but this is what I want to do. As soon as fashion buyers get to cross examine witnesses, I'll sign right up.

Postby 2654815451 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:21 am

I agree, it is very common. All the attorneys at the DA's office (where I have worked for 3 years) do not work over 30-40 hours per week. If they do work about 45 hours one week due to a difficult case, they will just not come in very much at all the next week. Starting pay in this small town in the south is about $55k per year and goes upward the longer you are here and what divisions you are over. Besides the DA, the ADAs who have been here a long time make about $118k per year. And NO ONE answers the phone after closing at 4:30 or from 12-1 for lunch.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:30 am

Came to the necro'd polly thread for more polly. Am disappointed.

Cane26

Postby Cane26 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:57 am

I am currently a third-year government attorney. My job is consistently 9-5:30 day in and day out. I also make close to six figures, it is a pretty good gig.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Would any current gov attorneys be willing to share what the hiring process was like for their positions?

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:09 pm

if you go on the legal employment board, there are a lot of threads dedicated to the different hiring programs, i.e. DOJ honors, SEC honors, AUSA, DA and stuff like that. just scroll through that board and you'll find good info. are you thinking of any government job in particular? otherwise, it varies so much its hard to answer your question.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 pm

seizmaar wrote:if you go on the legal employment board, there are a lot of threads dedicated to the different hiring programs, i.e. DOJ honors, SEC honors, AUSA, DA and stuff like that. just scroll through that board and you'll find good info. are you thinking of any government job in particular? otherwise, it varies so much its hard to answer your question.

I know there's a lot there, and will look through it, was just curious if anyone who had already posted in this thread wanted to share their individual process, even if it's impossible to be typical or representative.

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
seizmaar wrote:if you go on the legal employment board, there are a lot of threads dedicated to the different hiring programs, i.e. DOJ honors, SEC honors, AUSA, DA and stuff like that. just scroll through that board and you'll find good info. are you thinking of any government job in particular? otherwise, it varies so much its hard to answer your question.

I know there's a lot there, and will look through it, was just curious if anyone who had already posted in this thread wanted to share their individual process, even if it's impossible to be typical or representative.

Straight up connections/luck/timing. I don't think my job was ever even posted.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:07 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:And if so, how much would a 9 to 5 lawyer job pay?

Thanks!

It exists. Smaller firms, in smaller communities seem to place much more of an emphasis on family life in my experience. Pay for those kinds of jobs, in my area, start at ~$55k-65k. If you are from a smaller town and are interested in going back to your small town, that might be an option. But like everyone else has said here--don't bank on being able to find that kind of lifestyle because most lawyers are expected to work their asses off.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:07 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:

My job and my wife's job are listed on page 2, but..

I got my position by knowing a few current ADAs who taught as adjuncts at my law school, who gave me great recommendations. I also interned here. I was also in the military, so ...

My wife was jobless for a few months after graduation and she stumbled onto her job on her school's Simplicity page.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm

I work at a smaller firm in Chicago. Think 4 attorneys, 4 more staff people.

Attorneys probably work 40hrs some weeks and average around 45-50. Pay is like 65k-70k to start.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”