HElP ADMISSIONS QUESTION

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KMart

Re: HElP ADMISSIONS QUESTION

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 am

I know Kobe Bryant has made millions off dropping out of high school, but I didn't base my decision to attend college off the success stories of the few but rather the realities of the majority.
Last edited by KMart on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

justinf92

Postby justinf92 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 am

that makes a ton of sense but my alternative is a psych job.

js1663

Postby js1663 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 am

Last edited by js1663 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:12 am

Also worth adding on the WE will only behoove your application. One thing against me this cycle is that I'm a K-JD.

justinf92

Postby justinf92 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:22 am

thanks, but im most likely gonna just go to widener assuming ill get in. 100 percent have a job working for my dad. Been working for him the last few years in the summer but once i have a degree hed give me a real job. And i have a large amount of school paid for, I'm hoping to get into Rutgers Newark but I know its a big reach. Widener is my safety net, but I felt I didnt have such a good shot based on what I read before you guys came along. I was also offered 17k from florida coastal per year but I rather not go there thats even worse. Appreciate all the help guys but if i can atleast get into widener then Ill be fine hopefully

js1663

Postby js1663 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:27 am

justinf92

Postby justinf92 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 am

rutgers is my first choice. I applied there, new york law, syracuse, st johns( because my dad is a legacy there) seton hall and obviously widener. I'd assume I'm not getting into any of them except hopefully widener. Id be thrilled to somehow get into Rutgers but my gpa and lsats are obviously low despite excellent letters of rec. I dont think I want to take any time off, especially because I'm just not that good at the lsats, especially the reading comp. My score will be anywhere between a 148 and a 152 most likely. I could easily do the same, although when I did take it I'm 90 percent sure I skipped a question toward the end of the logic games section because I number 22 not bubbled in and 25 answers even though there were 24 questions. Sleep is essential lol.

js1663

Postby js1663 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:41 am

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

js1663 wrote:
justinf92 wrote:rutgers is my first choice. I applied there, new york law, syracuse, st johns( because my dad is a legacy there) seton hall and obviously widener. I'd assume I'm not getting into any of them except hopefully widener. Id be thrilled to somehow get into Rutgers but my gpa and lsats are obviously low despite excellent letters of rec. I dont think I want to take any time off, especially because I'm just not that good at the lsats, especially the reading comp. My score will be anywhere between a 148 and a 152 most likely. I could easily do the same, although when I did take it I'm 90 percent sure I skipped a question toward the end of the logic games section because I number 22 not bubbled in and 25 answers even though there were 24 questions. Sleep is essential lol.

I hear you but your reason for not taking off is pretty foolish imo, though you have a guaranteed job after the potential savings in scholarships with a higher lsat or greater earnings from a job obtained by going to a better school (though who knows, idk what you'll be paid) is probably greater than what you'd gain in that extra year of law practice after Widener.

As far as not being good at the LSAT, it's a learnable test. There are a ton of resources on this site that can help you master it and create a study plan, or if you're from the NJ/NY area I can recommend a class that I personally took which I guarantee would be incredibly helpful - from a 148 a 10 point increase is quite common for those who put in legitimate time and follow a guideline and study plan. 10 points and you'd be accepted at Rutgers. 10 more points and you'd pay (assuming instate?) half the price for tuition. 10 points and if for whatever reason you decide to go to Widener, it'll be on a scholarship at the very least rather than scraping in by the skin of your teeth. To me I don't see why it's so important for you to go this cycle, and all I see is reasons to wait - and I understand, it's probably not the best feeling to delay your goals for a year... but you gotta plan smart - this is the rest of your life you're talking about.

If you can work in your dads firm as a paralegal for a year instead, you'll build up your resume which as the other poster mentioned is always helpful, you'll gain valuable experience, and you'll have time to improve your LSAT score and tremendously improve your options.

Just to add to this, I had a 148 and almost jumped at the first opportunity and ruined my life. I instead got on these forums, and was told I was ruining my life and to retake. Because of these vicious but lovable strangers I decide to study for a few months and retake the lsat. 1 year of my life equaled a 15+ point increase and a 90% tuition offer to a school ranked 100 spots higher than where I almost went. The best part is I loved my time off. I started my own business that I now will be able to sell to help pay for Law school and am getting married. Don't rush this, law school is not going anywhere, life is long but stop trying to rush to the end.

P.s Thanks TLS, I owe you one.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:04 am

WichitaShocker wrote:P.s Thanks TLS, I owe you one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”