Transfer question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MarineLaw

New

Transfer question

Post by MarineLaw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:26 am

Hello all,

I'm at a T-3 school (2015 USNWR drop, but generally within 90-100). I started out as a part-time student, then converted to full-time after one year. With 22 of my 29 1L credits done (+ 6 upper-level electives), I am in the top 5% of my class.

I would like to transfer to a higher-ranked school. The problem is that one of my professors nominated me for a full-tuition scholarship for 2L year, which is decided on by a faculty vote at the end of the semester (one person gets this). I have a feeling that if I request a letter of recc now, I could jeopardize my shot at the scholarship. If I got the scholarship, I would stay (I've already secured a JAG spot following LS; my desire to transfer is to both help bolster promotion potential w/in JAG and provide more flexibility with exit options if I don't like it, or if/when I retire; I already have 7 years in so this is a reality). On the other hand, I don't want to wait until the end of the school year to get the ball rolling on LORs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Last edited by MarineLaw on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Transfer question

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:37 am

MarineLaw wrote:Hello all,

I'm at a T-3 school (2015 USNWR drop, but generally within 90-100). I started out as a part-time student, then converted to full-time after one year. With 22 of my 29 1L credits done (+ 6 upper-level electives), I am in the top 5% of my class.

I would like to transfer to a higher-ranked school. The problem is that one of my professors nominated me for a full-tuition scholarship for my remaining time at the school, which is decided on by a faculty vote at the end of the semester (one person gets this). I have a feeling that if I request a letter of recc now, I could jeopardize my shot at the scholarship. If I got the scholarship, I would stay (I've already secured a JAG spot following LS; my desire to transfer is to both help bolster promotion potential w/in JAG and provide more flexibility with exit options if I don't like it, or if/when I retire; I already have 7 years in so this is a reality). On the other hand, I don't want to wait until the end of the school year to get the ball rolling on LORs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I don't get why you'd want to transfer.

MarineLaw

New

Post by MarineLaw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

I attend a very regional school in a region I don't want to have to move back to after the military to find a good job. Hopefully that makes sense.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I would stay. The biggest reason to not go to a TTT is the (lack of) job opportunities. If you already have a full-time legal job guaranteed, why leave? Your school name becomes significantly less important 4-5 years into practice. What is your scholarship situation right now? I can see if you're paying sticker and you really don't want to live in the location your school is in when you're done with JAG, maybe transferring is a good plan.

MarineLaw

New

Post by MarineLaw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Assuming I could transfer to the in-state public school (tier 1), I'd save a total of about $10-15k. There is also a T6 and T14 in my region, for which I would end up paying $10-15k more than I am now--assuming I could get in. Either way, the move would be about 1.5 hours (I do have a family). I've got a little less than a half-tuition scholarship right now.

My impression is that law school name continues to follow you well beyond your initial job, particularly if your initial job is in a different field than the one you would move to (i.e. going from JAG to arguably any civilian or non-military government job). Is that not really the case? My impression from reading a lot of the forums here is that T3s are going to (regionally) confine you for about the rest of your career, absent somewhat extraordinary circumstances. Is that not the case?

edit: Under current PSLF, cost is not super concerning--future job prospects is the primary motivation behind these questions...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:04 pm

MarineLaw wrote:edit: Under current PSLF, cost is not super concerning--future job prospects is the primary motivation behind these questions...
I mean, under PSLF, you'd have to do a minimum of ten years in the public sector before you even think about outside opportunities. FedGov won't care about your school name whatsoever once you have 4-5 years of JAG under your belt, and that/state government/DA/PD are pretty much the only places you'd be able to apply to if you're taking advantage of PSLF. So basically, you're locked out of the private sector either way - either through extensive loans or from a terrible school name.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”