for those deciding between law school and med school......

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yot11

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby yot11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 pm

suboxoneman wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:I'm not familiar with that site...I wish I was truly rolling it in though.

bullshit. that's not a defense. you were caught, now explain

(Shrug)

Not sure what you are talking about so nothing to explain and no interest in doing so regardless.

lul

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:You try so hard to explain why med school is the better choice and you've been successfully outed on 2 different law school forums. I'm embarrassed for you.

Congrats

^

suboxoneman

Postby suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:You try so hard to explain why med school is the better choice and you've been successfully outed on 2 different law school forums. I'm embarrassed for you.

Congrats

I don't think you understand the concept/definition of 'outed'. If a physician on another legal board shared a similar story, good for him though.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am

Congrats

Totally missed what happened

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Now who says doctors are poor communicators?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:

Congrats

not at all, i just paraphrased. The guy has been going on forums and sque-ing survey results to make JD grads feel like they got scammed with their career choice. He got perma-banned from JD Underground, and now he's been outed here as the same guy doing pretty much the same thing

#caltrash

Postby #caltrash » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm currently in law school. How can I get off this crazy train and go to medical school so I can make money hand over fist?

My degree is in the liberal arts category and I have no scientific training of any kind. Is that a dealbreaker?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:39 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

Congrats

not at all, i just paraphrased. The guy has been going on forums and sque-ing survey results to make JD grads feel like they got scammed with their career choice. He got perma-banned from JD Underground, and now he's been outed here as the same guy doing pretty much the same thing

Maybe he meant like ... holy shit, what's going on itt?

suboxoneman

Postby suboxoneman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

Congrats

This is not correct. I am not familiar with jd underground. That said, i haven't seen anyone say anything about this other poster that sounds negative and he sounds like a pretty smart guy, so.....

suboxoneman

Postby suboxoneman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:14 am

#caltrash wrote:I'm currently in law school. How can I get off this crazy train and go to medical school so I can make money hand over fist?

My degree is in the liberal arts category and I have no scientific training of any kind. Is that a dealbreaker?

No..you will have to spend a couple years taking the prerequisites and do well on them. Then do well on mcats. Then apply. It's going to be at least three years until you can start...but good luck.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am

suboxoneman wrote:That said, i haven't seen anyone say anything about this other poster that sounds negative and he sounds like a pretty smart guy, so.....

Kappa

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:50 am

will med schools accept my LSAT

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:32 pm

#caltrash wrote:I'm currently in law school. How can I get off this crazy train and go to medical school so I can make money hand over fist?

Not sure if this is flame or not, but
many schools offer 1 year post-baccalaureate programs where you take all of the required courses (biology, organic chemistry etc), take the mcat, and then apply to med school
A friend of mine did it and got in to a bunch of good med schools

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Yea i mean as much as the advice "take a year off" get thrown around, not having the science background is not an excuse for choosing law when you can knock out the pre-reqs in a year.

suboxoneman

Postby suboxoneman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm

You can't 'knock out the prereqs in a year' unless you have already made significant progress in your first undergrad go around.

For example, a year of organic chemistry is a prereq. To do organic chemistry, you need to have already done inorganic chem(and not the kind most non-science majors take).

You can't take them concurrently.

Also, most 'post-back' programs aren't designed for prereqs...most people enrollment in them have already done the prereqs. They are simply trying to take a series of upper level bio classes to raise their science gpa and improve their application.

Plus there the lag time in registering for the mcat and lag in getting score back and applying.

It is not a quick or convenient process for career switchers.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:08 am

Med school > law school, except both require a ton of debt.

So really finance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> working random office job straight out of college for 60k >>> med school/law school.

Also, residency + 4 years of med school means you're old by the time you start a real job. Not worth it IMO.

If I could go back in time, I'd have done finance straight out and never gone to grad school.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:04 am

I love how OP completely ignores how much Med School costs, in fact he doesn't mention it anywhere.

Average med school debt is now around $500K, so yeah, you need to be making a lot of money to pay it off. Also, it sounds like you making $335K about 8 years of out undergrad, which really isn't that much more than a 4th-5th year BigLaw associate would be making.

The worst thing though is how you flat out lie about the hours. My brother is an MD in what sounds like a similar position to yours, and he works around 100 hours a week. You're just lying about on call hours/work that takes place outside of reguarly scheduled hospital hours.

Becoming and MD is probably the worst "get rich" scheme ever. A lot of people love it, and its a great choice for those who do, but treating it like a golden ticket is a fucking joke.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 am

Oh boy, nothing pisses off lawyers or future lawyers more than talking about how unfathomably shitty legal careers are compared to medical careers. Lawyers in general don't like to be told they are inferior/wrong about stuff, and they DEFINITELY won't acknowledge that their careers are a joke compared to people who do shit that actually matters, like saving lives.

There's a vast swath of dumbasses who law schools graduate every year. These dumbasses are allowed to pass a hilariously easy test called the bar exam and hold themselves out as "professionals." This mass of dumbasses drags down the average salaries of attorneys and makes attorneys have to work incredibly long, hard hours to make money that even comes close to what an average doc makes working half the number of hours.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:32 am

I mostly agree with what you said especially on the second paragraph. I would add though that there are a ton of incompetent/dumbs doctors are out there.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Oh boy, nothing pisses off lawyers or future lawyers more than talking about how unfathomably shitty legal careers are compared to medical careers. Lawyers in general don't like to be told they are inferior/wrong about stuff, and they DEFINITELY won't acknowledge that their careers are a joke compared to people who do shit that actually matters, like saving lives.

There's a vast swath of dumbasses who law schools graduate every year. These dumbasses are allowed to pass a hilariously easy test called the bar exam and hold themselves out as "professionals." This mass of dumbasses drags down the average salaries of attorneys and makes attorneys have to work incredibly long, hard hours to make money that even comes close to what an average doc makes working half the number of hours.

Doctors don't work half the hours of lawyers, at least not if they make any money. Most doctors work equal to or in excess of what BigLaw attorneys work, and medical residents work around 100-120 hours a week

Do you ever post anything useful? or is every thread just another chance for you to talk about how much you hate the legal profession

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:47 am

on average doctors work between 55-60 hours a week

https://benbrownmd.wordpress.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/1-million-m ... -a-doctor/

edit: average seems to be a bit higher than that....

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:59 am

bearsfan23 wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Oh boy, nothing pisses off lawyers or future lawyers more than talking about how unfathomably shitty legal careers are compared to medical careers. Lawyers in general don't like to be told they are inferior/wrong about stuff, and they DEFINITELY won't acknowledge that their careers are a joke compared to people who do shit that actually matters, like saving lives.

Doctors don't work half the hours of lawyers, at least not if they make any money. Most doctors work equal to or in excess of what BigLaw attorneys work, and medical residents work around 100-120 hours a week

Do you ever post anything useful? or is every thread just another chance for you to talk about how much you hate the legal profession

Here is an example of a mad as fuck attorney or law student literally just making shit up to make him/herself feel better about being too dumb to become a doctor.

McJimJam

Post removed.

Postby McJimJam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:47 am

Post removed.
Last edited by McJimJam on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:

Here is an example of a mad as fuck attorney or law student literally just making shit up to make him/herself feel better about being too dumb to become a doctor.

I hate my life just as much as the next biglawyer, but the average doctor isn't that smart (albeit smarter than the average lawyer). T-14 students/grads are probably a lot smarter than the average doctor. If you can get into a T-14 on merit, you can get into med school. Something like 50% of med school applicants get into med school - I mean, c'mon - 50%. It isn't rocket science; it's pure memorization.

If you're talking about smarts, actual rocket scientists/engineers/physicists/mathematicians have to think a lot more than doctors/lawyers and the good ones are probably the smartest. I don't really think doctors/lawyers are all that smart, and they are as dumb as rocks if they think medicine/law is a good way to become rich.

Who cares about smarts anyway - being smart doesn't make you rich on its own. Money >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else. This is why finance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> medicine/law.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:16 am

Who said anything about wanting to do something that matters? I sure don't.

I just want a relatively chill life of little "real" work, except making a lot more money than I do now (like what I imagine people in business/finance to do, which is a lot of bullshit).

If you're family med/internal med/psych, you might as well just killself cause you aren't making any money but you have 400k in loans. If you're in a specialty - there's only a handful that sound tolerable, like maybe anesthesiology/dermatology/oncology. Surgery is too much work/stressful; no reasonable human being wants to touch dirty private parts for a living (like in OBGYN); radiology sounds awfully boring and is being outsourced - and honestly, who the hell wants to stare at X-rays all day?

Basically the only "chill" focuses in medicine where you do low stress work for reasonable hours are the low paying ones and/or dermatology which is too hard to get.

I just want a job where I do little to no real work (just do bullshit) and get paid a lot of money....I just want to be independently wealthy. At this point, I think running a business doing whatever you want >>>>>>>>>>>>>> working a "profession".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”