for those deciding between law school and med school......

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby twenty » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

suboxoneman wrote:I'm not an engineer so I won't comment specifically on their employment situations, but I have to also believe it's a lot rosier than those on TLS indicate. Same for tons of other fields people excel in.


What? TLS almost exaggerates how great engineering employment outcomes are.

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm

twenty wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:I'm not an engineer so I won't comment specifically on their employment situations, but I have to also believe it's a lot rosier than those on TLS indicate. Same for tons of other fields people excel in.


What? TLS almost exaggerates how great engineering employment outcomes are.


What I've seen is people throwing around starting salary numbers and then ignoring the fact that those are just starting salaries and for people who develop valuable and unique skill sets they sky is the limit for them to go and do their own consulting thing for their own company.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm

suboxoneman wrote:
twenty wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:I'm not an engineer so I won't comment specifically on their employment situations, but I have to also believe it's a lot rosier than those on TLS indicate. Same for tons of other fields people excel in.


What? TLS almost exaggerates how great engineering employment outcomes are.


What I've seen is people throwing around starting salary numbers and then ignoring the fact that those are just starting salaries and for people who develop valuable and unique skill sets they sky is the limit for them to go and do their own consulting thing for their own company.


Let's talk about how despite claiming to be a very successful doctor you feel some need to come to this website and rant about an imaginary war on STEM careers and an imaginary disinformation campaign that has convinced prelaw kids that doctors and engineers are poor. What sort of issues could cause such behavior?

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

holy crap that OP was ridiculous

your wife's outcome ain't bad but it ain't great either; many T10 grads end up better off than that

but yeah, majority of doctors have objectively better situations than the vast majority of lawyers

doesn't matter though, work is work and all non-pro athlete jobs are inferior HTH

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:holy crap that OP was ridiculous

your wife's outcome ain't bad but it ain't great either; many T10 grads end up better off than that

but yeah, majority of doctors have objectively better situations than the vast majority of lawyers

doesn't matter though, work is work and all non-pro athlete jobs are inferior HTH


Yes, many do. But my guess(and hers) is that she is probably above the median in terms of outcomes relative to the rest of her class.

Plus, the jury is still very much out on whether or not she(and the rest of her class which has still managed to hang in there) will stick long long term. After you transition out of biglaw to inhouse(or wherever), there is still lots of pressure and uncertainty. She reminds me everyday that there are a not trivial number of 40 yo attorneys in her line of work who go off and do something else, even after they've been in house somewhere awhile....either by choice or not.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 pm

suboxoneman wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:holy crap that OP was ridiculous

your wife's outcome ain't bad but it ain't great either; many T10 grads end up better off than that

but yeah, majority of doctors have objectively better situations than the vast majority of lawyers

doesn't matter though, work is work and all non-pro athlete jobs are inferior HTH


Yes, many do. But my guess(and hers) is that she is probably above the median in terms of outcomes relative to the rest of her class.

Plus, the jury is still very much out on whether or not she(and the rest of her class which has still managed to hang in there) will stick long long term. After you transition out of biglaw to inhouse(or wherever), there is still lots of pressure and uncertainty. She reminds me everyday that there are a not trivial number of 40 yo attorneys in her line of work who go off and do something else, even after they've been in house somewhere awhile....either by choice or not.


yeah agreed, the stability of medicine is by far its biggest selling point. law is getting more and more brutal, as if it wasn't bad enough already

but here's a point for all those deciding b/w law, med, or biz school OR deciding on any one of them...just always remember that you're NOT SPECIAL and that there are lots of people out there who were smart enough to do your jobs but weren't fortunate enough to have the resources or simply went down a different path

if you truly adopt that perspective, you'll be less likely to feel sorry for yourself regardless of what path you choose :/

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:14 pm

suboxoneman wrote:The point is that throughout TLS there seems to be a consistent message of "well this law thing seems to be problematic going forward with career prospects even if I am one of the relatively lucky ones, but (insert career here) is just as bad or worse". That's what I'm challenging, and I just used the market I am an expert in as an example.

I'm not an engineer so I won't comment specifically on their employment situations, but I have to also believe it's a lot rosier than those on TLS indicate. Same for tons of other fields people excel in.

You are either an idiot or you haven't spent much time on TLS. Generally when your "opponents" respond to your argument with "Yeah, we know, that's what we've been saying" you don't need to write a multi-paragraph screed in an attempt to convince them. You've taken the strawman concept to a whole new level.

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:You are either an idiot or you haven't spent much time on TLS. Generally when your "opponents" respond to your argument with "Yeah, we know, that's what we've been saying" you don't need to write a multi-paragraph screed in an attempt to convince them. You've taken the strawman concept to a whole new level.


It's a matter of degree I suppose

User avatar
L’Étranger
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby L’Étranger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Elaborate flame?

suppy183
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:40 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suppy183 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 am

Just wanted to add that my strong impression is that while lawyers' incomes decrease the smaller the metro area (like most jobs - I think this is pretty uncontroversial), doctors' incomes actually follow the reverse trend (correct me if I'm wrong- maybe this is only applicable to certain specialties, but I've heard that rural hospitals will pay more in order to get doctors to move out to those areas).

But yes, if the goal from the start is just to maximize income, medicine is the clear winner.

And I think the large number of (former) engineers on this forum probably add a much more accurate perspective on that profession than random conjecture from a doctor.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby mvp99 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

suppy183 wrote:Just wanted to add that my strong impression is that while lawyers' incomes decrease the smaller the metro area (like most jobs - I think this is pretty uncontroversial), doctors' incomes actually follow the reverse trend (correct me if I'm wrong- maybe this is only applicable to certain specialties, but I've heard that rural hospitals will pay more in order to get doctors to move out to those areas).

But yes, if the goal from the start is just to maximize income, medicine is the clear winner.

And I think the large number of (former) engineers on this forum probably add a much more accurate perspective on that profession than random conjecture from a doctor.
this is true. No doctor wants to live in the country side. there is actually no substantial shortage of doctors just bad distribution. couple yearz ago someone i know was offered to be the only doctor of his specialty in a town in the middle of no where 500k almost no exp

d9m1s0l2k4
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:02 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby d9m1s0l2k4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:53 am

RZ5646 wrote: Let's talk about how despite claiming to be a very successful doctor you feel some need to come to this website and rant about an imaginary war on STEM careers and an imaginary disinformation campaign that has convinced prelaw kids that doctors and engineers are poor. What sort of issues could cause such behavior?

Wow. The OP is a mentally ill troll. He is the poster "rollinitin" from JD Underground. He suddenly appeared and spent months making hundreds of posts insisting that all doctors make hundreds of thousands more than indicated in any established survey, and that any who didn't were working 20 hour weeks. This came all out of nowhere, and to a bunch of unemployed TTTers 200k in debt. Spent a lot of time insulting and chastising the posters there for being scammed, along with trying to show how lawyers were inferior to doctors, and making insults towards lawyers in general. Fucking moron for revealing so much personal info. Eventually got banned. Guess he found TLS from there.

Not exactly sure as to the motivation behind it all. Seems to fetishize money... maybe a biglaw equity partner came over for dinner and flaunted his 7-figure salary and his wife told him "why didn't YOU go to law school?"

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:49 am

Not gonna lie, 7 days on and 7 days off seems like a hell of a life

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12585
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby smaug » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:06 am

d9m1s0l2k4 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote: Let's talk about how despite claiming to be a very successful doctor you feel some need to come to this website and rant about an imaginary war on STEM careers and an imaginary disinformation campaign that has convinced prelaw kids that doctors and engineers are poor. What sort of issues could cause such behavior?

Wow. The OP is a mentally ill troll. He is the poster "rollinitin" from JD Underground. He suddenly appeared and spent months making hundreds of posts insisting that all doctors make hundreds of thousands more than indicated in any established survey, and that any who didn't were working 20 hour weeks. This came all out of nowhere, and to a bunch of unemployed TTTers 200k in debt. Spent a lot of time insulting and chastising the posters there for being scammed, along with trying to show how lawyers were inferior to doctors, and making insults towards lawyers in general. Fucking moron for revealing so much personal info. Eventually got banned. Guess he found TLS from there.

Not exactly sure as to the motivation behind it all. Seems to fetishize money... maybe a biglaw equity partner came over for dinner and flaunted his 7-figure salary and his wife told him "why didn't YOU go to law school?"


*grabs popcorn*

this just got more interesting

Can you describe this mans scholarship on JDU in more detail/provide links?

OP, how do your respond to these claims?

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 am

ilikebaseball wrote:Not gonna lie, 7 days on and 7 days off seems like a hell of a life


I cant complain :)

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
d9m1s0l2k4 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote: Let's talk about how despite claiming to be a very successful doctor you feel some need to come to this website and rant about an imaginary war on STEM careers and an imaginary disinformation campaign that has convinced prelaw kids that doctors and engineers are poor. What sort of issues could cause such behavior?

Wow. The OP is a mentally ill troll. He is the poster "rollinitin" from JD Underground. He suddenly appeared and spent months making hundreds of posts insisting that all doctors make hundreds of thousands more than indicated in any established survey, and that any who didn't were working 20 hour weeks. This came all out of nowhere, and to a bunch of unemployed TTTers 200k in debt. Spent a lot of time insulting and chastising the posters there for being scammed, along with trying to show how lawyers were inferior to doctors, and making insults towards lawyers in general. Fucking moron for revealing so much personal info. Eventually got banned. Guess he found TLS from there.

Not exactly sure as to the motivation behind it all. Seems to fetishize money... maybe a biglaw equity partner came over for dinner and flaunted his 7-figure salary and his wife told him "why didn't YOU go to law school?"


*grabs popcorn*

this just got more interesting

Can you describe this mans scholarship on JDU in more detail/provide links?

OP, how do your respond to these claims?


can't wait to hear this...

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Despite being blatantly unnecessary, this thread is entertaining.

User avatar
bretby
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby bretby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:49 pm

d9m1s0l2k4 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote: Let's talk about how despite claiming to be a very successful doctor you feel some need to come to this website and rant about an imaginary war on STEM careers and an imaginary disinformation campaign that has convinced prelaw kids that doctors and engineers are poor. What sort of issues could cause such behavior?

Wow. The OP is a mentally ill troll. He is the poster "rollinitin" from JD Underground. He suddenly appeared and spent months making hundreds of posts insisting that all doctors make hundreds of thousands more than indicated in any established survey, and that any who didn't were working 20 hour weeks. This came all out of nowhere, and to a bunch of unemployed TTTers 200k in debt. Spent a lot of time insulting and chastising the posters there for being scammed, along with trying to show how lawyers were inferior to doctors, and making insults towards lawyers in general. Fucking moron for revealing so much personal info. Eventually got banned. Guess he found TLS from there.

Not exactly sure as to the motivation behind it all. Seems to fetishize money... maybe a biglaw equity partner came over for dinner and flaunted his 7-figure salary and his wife told him "why didn't YOU go to law school?"


It's a slow day, so I looked at rollinitin's history in JD Underground. Totally the same person. This is the second time in a week I've recognized a slightly unbalanced posted from JD Underground on TLS. The other night I couldn't sleep and got sucked down the rabbit hole of a crazy C&F story from two years ago and then, uncannily, the person appeared on TLS to post about the same issue that night. My life is really lame.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 pm

suboxoneman wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Not gonna lie, 7 days on and 7 days off seems like a hell of a life


I cant complain :)

Answer to d9m1s0l2k4's claims please. We're all anxiously awaiting your response

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby mvp99 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:56 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Not gonna lie, 7 days on and 7 days off seems like a hell of a life


I cant complain :)

Answer to d9m1s0l2k4's claims please. We're all anxiously awaiting your response


+1

(insert Michael Jackson popcorn gif)

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby yomisterd » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:01 pm

WE'VE GOT HIM FELLAS! RALLY THE TOWNSFOLK!

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm not familiar with that site...I wish I was truly rolling it in though.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 pm

suboxoneman wrote:I'm not familiar with that site...I wish I was truly rolling it in though.

bullshit. that's not a defense. you were caught, now explain

suboxoneman
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:45 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
suboxoneman wrote:I'm not familiar with that site...I wish I was truly rolling it in though.

bullshit. that's not a defense. you were caught, now explain


(Shrug)

Not sure what you are talking about so nothing to explain and no interest in doing so regardless.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: for those deciding between law school and med school......

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 pm

You try so hard to explain why med school is the better choice and you've been successfully outed on 2 different law school forums. I'm embarrassed for you.

Congrats




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crookedsmile, LewD33, studyingeveryday and 7 guests