How important is undergrad for top schools like HYS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontrogerthat

New

How important is undergrad for top schools like HYS?

Post by dontrogerthat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:13 pm

How important is the type of undergrad you attended to schools like HYS? I was looking at an old Yale Law undergrad representation and nearly everyone went to a top notch undergrad.

I went to BU, is this school good enough to get into those type on institutions?

I know that LSAT/GPA play the absolute largest role, but it's hard to ignore the undergrad representation of being elite at these schools. I'm nervous my undergrad won't be on that level.
Last edited by dontrogerthat on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sls17

Bronze

Re: How important is undergrad for top schools like HYS?

Post by Sls17 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:37 pm

100% irrelevant.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:39 pm

My understanding is that it doesn't matter much at all at Harvard. They let in people from an insane variety of schools. I don't know about Yale or Stanford, though.

Patent2014

New

Post by Patent2014 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:15 pm

I went to an Ivy League school and it didn't seem to matter at all. Merely a tie breaker among otherwise identical candidates.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Doesn't really matter. Look at those schools' "class profile" pages and they usually have a list of represented colleges. You'll see plenty of state schools and the like. (Obviously prestigious colleges will be overrepresented but that's more correlation than causation.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WolfOf127WallStreet

New

Post by WolfOf127WallStreet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:27 pm

It's pretty important. Nearly half of my class went to an Ivy. Most went to Ivy or Stanford/Duke/Chicago (I'm a 3L at Y)

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm

WolfOf127WallStreet wrote:It's pretty important. Nearly half of my class went to an Ivy. Most went to Ivy or Stanford/Duke/Chicago (I'm a 3L at Y)
Assuming you're not trolling, Y is in its own special snowflake world and doesn't really count. Everywhere else, including at H and S, Ivy undergrad is a decent soft at best. Also, correlation != causation.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:34 pm

Sls17 wrote:100% irrelevant.
I disagree to some extent.

There are a lot of people at SLS from elite undergrads. Feels like a decent chunk more than there are from state UG (although maybe I just notice more because I'm a state UG). I don't know how much of that is just a correlation (arguing that people likely to get into SLS as high schoolers are more likely to go to elite schools for UG) versus an advantage, but it feels like the latter.

That said, there are also pleeeeeenty of people from non-Ivy, non-East Coast Liberal Arts schools. There are a decent number of us from state UG across the country.

Perhaps more importantly, Stanford definitely seems to prefer people from California. LOTS of USC/UCLA/Cal/other California UG like Claremont, Occidental, etc...

Someone above me called it a "decent soft." I think that's a good way to put it. By no means necessary, but anecdotally seems to help.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:37 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Doesn't really matter. Look at those schools' "class profile" pages and they usually have a list of represented colleges. You'll see plenty of state schools and the like. (Obviously prestigious colleges will be overrepresented but that's more correlation than causation.)
The problem with those lists, at least when I looked, was that it didn't say how many people went to the represented colleges. It's like:

State UG A: 1
State UG B: 1
State UG C: 1
Harvard: 9
Dartmouth: 8
Yale: 6
Cornell: 5

And so on. Correlation/causation still an important thing to consider, but I wouldn't attribute it to that entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Well the way I read OP's question was "Does going to an average college close the door on HYS?" and the answer to that is definitely no.

Especially at H, it seems like being above both medians = admitted, as long as you're not a complete weirdo or botch your interviews. YS are more sensitive to softs, but even they admit plenty of people from average colleges, so I don't think OP needs to worry about his college ruining his chances. (Though perhaps he should be worried about paying $250k+ for HYS after attending an infamously expensive private college.)

dontrogerthat

New

Post by dontrogerthat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:15 pm

@rz
I attend BU on a very large scholarship like most of the students here do. Not sure why it has such a bad rep especially when the tuition is within a mere few thousand of most other private colleges.
Last edited by dontrogerthat on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hill1334

New

Post by hill1334 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:29 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Doesn't really matter. Look at those schools' "class profile" pages and they usually have a list of represented colleges. You'll see plenty of state schools and the like. (Obviously prestigious colleges will be overrepresented but that's more correlation than causation.)
Students from top colleges are going to be overrepresented at top law schools, for the most part, because students from top colleges are, on the average, going to score higher on the LSAT. The average student at Harvard undergrad is smarter and harder working than the average student at SUNY Oswego, and intelligence and effort, together, are largely determinative of LSAT success.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:41 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:@rz
I attend GW on a very large scholarship like most of the students here do. Not sure why it has such a bad rep especially when the tuition is within a mere few thousand of most other private colleges.
GWU pioneered the "amenities arms race" business strategy that has made college so unaffordable: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ng/263032/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:56 am

If anything, I would think coming from an underrepresented school is going to slightly help you, if you have the GPA/LSAT to be admitted. Top schools want a diverse class, not a bunch of grads from the same three schools. My guess is that the prevalence of elite private school / Ivy grads at top law schools is totally correlation, not causation.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:59 am

Instinctive wrote: Perhaps more importantly, Stanford definitely seems to prefer people from California. LOTS of USC/UCLA/Cal/other California UG like Claremont, Occidental, etc...
This too definitely seems like correlation over causation. Those of us lucky enough to be in CA tend to want to stay here.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 am

I'm going to be this person. :(

I'd argue that having an Ivy undergrad on your transcript makes the admissions game a bit easier. My undergrad's career/grad school office put together a PDF of the average stats our graduates had to be accepted/matriculate to law schools, and they indicate there is generally a lower GPA/LSAT threshold. The differences are definitely smaller when it comes to HYS, but… to my quick, amateur glance, are still present.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:12 am

middlebear wrote:I'm going to be this person. :(

I'd argue that having an Ivy undergrad on your transcript makes the admissions game a bit easier. My undergrad's career/grad school office put together a PDF of the average stats our graduates had to be accepted/matriculate to law schools, and they indicate there is generally a lower GPA/LSAT threshold. The differences are definitely smaller when it comes to HYS, but… to my quick, amateur glance, are still present.
You still have the correlation/causation problem. Maybe it's not the Ivy UG that is giving them an admissions bump, but (other) strong softs that Ivy people are more likely to have.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:27 am

Instinctive wrote:
Sls17 wrote:100% irrelevant.
I disagree to some extent.

There are a lot of people at SLS from elite undergrads. Feels like a decent chunk more than there are from state UG (although maybe I just notice more because I'm a state UG). I don't know how much of that is just a correlation (arguing that people likely to get into SLS as high schoolers are more likely to go to elite schools for UG) versus an advantage, but it feels like the latter.

That said, there are also pleeeeeenty of people from non-Ivy, non-East Coast Liberal Arts schools. There are a decent number of us from state UG across the country.

Perhaps more importantly, Stanford definitely seems to prefer people from California. LOTS of USC/UCLA/Cal/other California UG like Claremont, Occidental, etc...

Someone above me called it a "decent soft." I think that's a good way to put it. By no means necessary, but anecdotally seems to help.
I think for Harvard it matters slightly (but if you've got the numbers and can interview decently well, it certainly won't hold you back at all), for Yale it matters a huge amount, and for Stanford it matters quite a bit.

The vast majority of SLS (I would say maybe 80%, but I haven't counted) went to Ivies/other elite private schools (S, Chicago, etc.)/elite LACs/"public Ivies."

Of the unprestigious state school kids, I know of only two (one of whom is URM) who got in during the regular cycle. The rest got in off the waitlist, which I think is fairly telling (and unfortunate-I think the school would benefit from more UG diversity).

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:28 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:38 am

Kurst wrote:Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant?
Does your undergraduate institution matter?
Importance of undergrade prestige for T14?
3.0 from Dartmouth versus 3.0 from state school
Non-elite UG: a T-6 killer?
Any T14 students here started at community college for UG?
Do T14's look down on community colleges?
It doesn't matter where you went for UG!
What Undergraduate School should I pick to help my LS Admiss
Should I Transfer Undergraduate Schools?
High numbers, low undergrad prestigue
Does the undergraduate school matter?
Undergraduate Advice
How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?
How important is undergrad prestige?
Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
to what degree does undergraduate institution matter at HYS?
does undergrad matter at all?
Do law schools really care what school you attended for UG?
How much does UG matter?
College Freshman looking at Law School
178 LSAT, 3.93 GPA - Does UG really matter?
Importance of Undergrad Institution
Unknown Undergraduate Institution
Weight of UG institution in LS+ Big Law
UG MATTERS! Don't believe the hype
Will undergrad prestige matter?
Does undergraduate school matter?
Does where you went Undergraduate matter?
does your undergrad university prestige matter?
How much does undergrad school matter?
Does your undergraduate school matter?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
Does the Undergrad School you graduate from matter?
Does school matter?
Undergrad Prestige
snob appeal of your undergraduate institution
Question about GPA major and school prestige
Is UG prestige a factor in the admission process?
OS Updates: Yes, Virginia, Undergraduate Schools Matter.
How much does where you went to undergrad matter?
Why does quality of undergrad matter so little?
How much does where you did undergrad matter?
How much does what undergrad school you attend matter?
Undergrad doesn't matter! (unless it's a good one)
Does undergrad matter
Quality of undergrad institution does matter!
Does undergrad matter?
Undergrad doesnt matter? WSJ disagrees.
Name of Undergrad School Matter in Applying?
How much weight is given to your undergrad college?
Importance of Undergraduate University??
Does it matter where you do your UG studies for T14 schools?
Does quality of undergrad make a significant difference?
Does UG Really Not Matter?
How much does where you went for UG factor in?

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:31 am

I think it's important to realize that a state UG and an "elite" UG are not mutually exclusive. A little over 20% of Stanford's class of 2017 went to public universities, but many of those people attended schools like UC Berkeley, which I consider elite. Likewise, elite and "private" are not mutually inclusive; a number of us went to privates that are generally considered less prestigious than the very top state schools.

If you added up all the people at SLS who went to modest public and private schools, you'd have anywhere from 10 to 30 people, depending on how elitist you want to be.

Also, I looked through the last three years in our directory and couldn't find anyone from GW, but don't let that discourage you. It's a small school, so random UGs appear and disappear every year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”