'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:50 pm

It's 100% legal, but targeting racial minorities with these e-mails is an egregious slap in the face of the stated Supreme Court's reasons for allowing affirmative action:

1.) Making the workforce and a given school more diverse.
2.) Mitigating the lingering professional and socioeconomic impact of 100s of yrs of discrimination.

What these schools essentially do is they parrot bogus employment #'s to students with #'s so poor they are associated with under a 50-50 likelihood of ever passing a bar, and they pay >200k to attend a school where only a third of graduates get JD required jobs. Many who never would've applied to Charlotte Law but for the e-mail move from across the country to attend.

While Charlotte School of Law itself becomes more diverse, these students mostly wind up returning to their home towns with a beaten down self-concept saddled with >200k in debt never to practice law. There is subsequently a wider discrepancy in the socioeconomic status between the races. Charlotte profits financially off of affirmative action by allowing 140's to attend paying sticker, but keeps the ABA off its back (the ABA imposes informal limits on the # of sub-150 scores an accredited school can attend but takes URM status into account). Meanwhile the end result is that there is a wider socioeconomic discrepancy b/w the races because of Charlotte School of Law. What a contribution to society.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:56 pm

r1tlv50 wrote:Sort of a tangent but it also infuriates me when the schools keep emailing me after I hit unsubscribe

I really hate when they personally email you, not through the LSAC service, so there is no unsubscribe button at the bottom. It's March 9th, if I haven't applied by now I'm really not going to.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby ballcaps » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:58 pm

this is all really great, thanks.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm

imKMart wrote:
r1tlv50 wrote:Sort of a tangent but it also infuriates me when the schools keep emailing me after I hit unsubscribe

I really hate when they personally email you, not through the LSAC service, so there is no unsubscribe button at the bottom. It's March 9th, if I haven't applied by now I'm really not going to.

LSAC can fix this by not making opting into e-mails an all or nothing game. There are a finite # of law schools. Why can't you just check boxes from a dropdown list of every school, accredited or not, that you want to apply to? I understand they make money off of each name they give to a school, but they could re-coup this money by just upping the costs of the test or transmission services. They are the only game in town so could really charge whatever they want. Turning a profit and playing middle man in an academic "get rich fast" scheme don't need to be mutually exclusive.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:13 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:LSAC can fix this by not making opting into e-mails an all or nothing game. There are a finite # of law schools. Why can't you just check boxes from a dropdown list of every school, accredited or not, that you want to apply to? I understand they make money off of each name they give to a school, but they could re-coup this money by just upping the costs of the test or transmission services. They are the only game in town so could really charge whatever they want. Turning a profit and playing middle man in an academic "get rich fast" scheme don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I understand your point, however I'd rather pay lower test registration fees and LSAC service fees with my application while clicking "unsubscribe" and dealing with annoying emails than the alternative of paying higher fees but getting no emails. Maybe it's just me.

User avatar
r1tlv50
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby r1tlv50 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:25 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
LSAC can fix this by not making opting into e-mails an all or nothing game. There are a finite # of law schools. Why can't you just check boxes from a dropdown list of every school, accredited or not, that you want to apply to? I understand they make money off of each name they give to a school, but they could re-coup this money by just upping the costs of the test or transmission services. They are the only game in town so could really charge whatever they want. Turning a profit and playing middle man in an academic "get rich fast" scheme don't need to be mutually exclusive.
I understand your point, however I'd rather pay lower test registration fees and LSAC service fees with my application while clicking "unsubscribe" and dealing with annoying emails than the alternative of paying higher fees but getting no emails. Maybe it's just me.


Yeah, unfortunately I think they have us all with enabling us to be found/contacted because for everybody it seems like there are a couple schools we'll actually wind up applying to with fee waivers and it's worth the couple hundo to click 'unsubscribe' on the others.

I really hate when they personally email you, not through the LSAC service, so there is no unsubscribe button at the bottom. It's March 9th, if I haven't applied by now I'm really not going to.


These I do push back on. Like not anything rude, just "please remove me from your contact list." I agree that it's more of a annoyance to not just let us click a button to stop receiving them.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:01 am

imKMart wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:LSAC can fix this by not making opting into e-mails an all or nothing game. There are a finite # of law schools. Why can't you just check boxes from a dropdown list of every school, accredited or not, that you want to apply to? I understand they make money off of each name they give to a school, but they could re-coup this money by just upping the costs of the test or transmission services. They are the only game in town so could really charge whatever they want. Turning a profit and playing middle man in an academic "get rich fast" scheme don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I understand your point, however I'd rather pay lower test registration fees and LSAC service fees with my application while clicking "unsubscribe" and dealing with annoying emails than the alternative of paying higher fees but getting no emails. Maybe it's just me.

I agree but there's an overlap between doing well on the LSAT and being able to analyze school data in a meaningful way. The current system is better for me like how craigslist is better for me by allowing me to sell/buy crap at good prices, but I would also argue that craigslist charging a fee to safeguard against the offshore Moneygram scam/crime would be better for society.

Let's say you had to pay $50 more total if LSAC raised the processing fees by $5 per application to not do this (assuming you apply to 10 schools). If the Charlotte School of Law e-mails get one person to attend to go 200k in debt, we'd need 4,000 people like you (the total # of 168+ scores the past year) to offset the lost cost of the 1 idiot who goes to CSL. Ultimately, this cost will fall on the taxpayer.

Yes, the school brings in money and it keeps people employed, but it's not like deans of accredited law schools are inept. They wouldn't be on food stamps should their school close. They could probably earn something comparable to their current salaries. In addition, the demographic that makes up law school deans is statistically less likely to spend x% of their salary than are millenials so that money isn't exactly benefiting society. It'd suck for the secretaries and everyday people, but ultimately they'd land on their feet and even if the government matched their yearly salaries to sit at home the economy would still be better off than they are under this model. 20k people defaulting on student loans isn't gonna meaningfully change the economy, but in the cumulative with all other graduate schools it has a large impact.

User avatar
r1tlv50
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby r1tlv50 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:28 am

Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am

r1tlv50 wrote:Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray


lmao me too.. you'd think they would put some research into our races first

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21880
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:36 am

r1tlv50 wrote:Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray

Damn, just because you white you think you can't talk to and learn about the school from some black folks?

ITT goobs necro a thread just to callout a school for inviting them to speak to black people, but the goobs have no interest in speaking to black people and decided it was a stellar idea to make a post about it in a month-long-dead thread.

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

Nebby wrote:
r1tlv50 wrote:Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray

Damn, just because you white you think you can't talk to and learn about the school from some black folks?

ITT goobs necro a thread just to callout a school for inviting them to speak to black people, but the goobs have no interest in speaking to black people and decided it was a stellar idea to make a post about it in a month-long-dead thread.


it's a marketing stunt dude. yea we called them out for it

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21880
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 am

starry eyed wrote:
Nebby wrote:
r1tlv50 wrote:Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray

Damn, just because you white you think you can't talk to and learn about the school from some black folks?

ITT goobs necro a thread just to callout a school for inviting them to speak to black people, but the goobs have no interest in speaking to black people and decided it was a stellar idea to make a post about it in a month-long-dead thread.


it's a marketing stunt dude. yea we called them out for it

Jesus-H-Christ, it's a marketing stunt to see if you want to talk to black students? When did speaking with students of color about their experiences at the law school become a marketing stunt?

"Well I'm white so obviously I don't need to speak to black students about the school. LOL such a marketing stunt."

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 am

Nebby wrote:
starry eyed wrote:
Nebby wrote:
r1tlv50 wrote:Wow on a kinda related note WashU St. Louis with the "Chat with Black Law Student Association Officers" email (I'm white).

Damn. WashU is a good school in general, Law is just fubar. The hucksterism is cray

Damn, just because you white you think you can't talk to and learn about the school from some black folks?

ITT goobs necro a thread just to callout a school for inviting them to speak to black people, but the goobs have no interest in speaking to black people and decided it was a stellar idea to make a post about it in a month-long-dead thread.


it's a marketing stunt dude. yea we called them out for it

Jesus-H-Christ, it's a marketing stunt to see if you want to talk to black students? When did speaking with students of color about their experiences at the law school become a marketing stunt?

"Well I'm white so obviously I don't need to speak to black students about the school. LOL such a marketing stunt."


ok upon further review, the email subject line wasn't as outrageous as i thought it was.

i recalled gratuitous exclamation points

User avatar
r1tlv50
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby r1tlv50 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:52 am

It was directly relevant to some of the discussion above. One of the posters (who I think mentioned being URM) was concerned Charlotte was trying to recruit minorities to pay full freight for a degree that's not going to help them earn more. This email could be consistent with WashU doing the same thing. The idea some URM students or students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds wind up paying more for LS than their classmates who're better off is a well-documented part of the 'scamblog'/transparency posts.

None of this was meant to criticize individual WashU students.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21880
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 pm

I guess I didn't put your post in context with this (though I will still state that the connection is a little strenuous because WashU isn't exactly TTTT like Charlotte).

However, don't you think it could have been an honest attempt to connect black students to detail their experiences to those that are interested? I'm sure there are specific things that black students are concerned about that you or I may not realize, and the students could be valuable resources for that. I would not immediately call huckerism in this situation.

User avatar
golden44
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby golden44 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

While I agree landshoes earlier concerns about TTT's targeting URMs is on point and deserving discussion...not at all sure how anyone getting this email made that jump. WashU admissions sends out a shit ton of emails on everything. This was clearly an event sponsored by a student group put on by students and admissions sent out the invite on their usual email blast.

I actually attended the chat and it was just students answering whatever questions people typed in. Nothing huckster at all. From everything I could tell, no one from admissions was even in the room. FWIW, I'm not URM and found it very helpful and am glad they didn't limit the invite.

User avatar
r1tlv50
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby r1tlv50 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 pm

To both of the above - yeah, it might not have been on the same level as legit TTT/TTTT, but WashU still hustles big time. They all but showed up at my apartment. If this served some purpose beyond trying to get people in their lsat range to deposit (or to convince borderline students who got in to take out huge loans), that's great, but I'm not giving them that much of the benefit of the doubt

Edit: into v. in to.....grammar.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:55 pm

landshoes wrote:
Hello [Firstname],

Now that you've taken the LSAT, it is time to decide on a law school. As you weigh your options, here are some considerations:

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you desire a rigorous and challenging educational experience that will unlock your full potential academically and in other important ways. Charlotte Law equips you with the competencies you need for effective lawyering. But becoming a successful professional includes more than intellectual and analytical prowess. It is dependent not only on IQ but EQ. Self-awareness, self-management, and the ability to work effectively with and inspire others are essential to personal and professional success.

Don't attend Charlotte Law if you don't want to take advantage of the $40,000 scholarship that may be available to you based on your [17X] LSAT score.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you want to attend a law school that is still focused on theory and doctrine and have much less regard for practice competencies, writing, and personal development. Charlotte School of Law, by contrast, was designed and developed by legal educators who realized that old models of legal education must be improved upon no matter how difficult that change might be.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you are destined to be a change agent. Leading change requires not just ideals but abilities to persuade, inspire, and achieve. It also is dependent upon a willingness to take the risk of standing apart from the crowd and have the courage of one's convictions. Charlotte School of Law was designed and developed by experienced legal educators with the objective of leading change in legal education at a time when change is overdue.

Rethink Charlotte School of Law and contact me today.

Thanks,

Kimberly


Am I RC failing? Doesn't the bolded paragraph contradict itself?

Effingham
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Postby Effingham » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
landshoes wrote:
Hello [Firstname],

Now that you've taken the LSAT, it is time to decide on a law school. As you weigh your options, here are some considerations:

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you desire a rigorous and challenging educational experience that will unlock your full potential academically and in other important ways. Charlotte Law equips you with the competencies you need for effective lawyering. But becoming a successful professional includes more than intellectual and analytical prowess. It is dependent not only on IQ but EQ. Self-awareness, self-management, and the ability to work effectively with and inspire others are essential to personal and professional success.

Don't attend Charlotte Law if you don't want to take advantage of the $40,000 scholarship that may be available to you based on your [17X] LSAT score.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you want to attend a law school that is still focused on theory and doctrine and have much less regard for practice competencies, writing, and personal development. Charlotte School of Law, by contrast, was designed and developed by legal educators who realized that old models of legal education must be improved upon no matter how difficult that change might be.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you are destined to be a change agent. Leading change requires not just ideals but abilities to persuade, inspire, and achieve. It also is dependent upon a willingness to take the risk of standing apart from the crowd and have the courage of one's convictions. Charlotte School of Law was designed and developed by experienced legal educators with the objective of leading change in legal education at a time when change is overdue.

Rethink Charlotte School of Law and contact me today.

Thanks,

Kimberly


Am I RC failing? Doesn't the bolded paragraph contradict itself?


Charlotte Law, changing the rules of logical reasoning.

They were bound to dig themselves in a hole with those double negatives.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: whodareswins and 3 guests