Gifts for Recommenders?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Harry_Pluxen

Gifts for Recommenders?

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey all,

Is it appropriate to get a small gift for professors and supervisors who have written you a letter of recommendation for law school? Or is this seen as unprofessional in its entirety?

I have been contemplating getting a small gift for the professors whom have written letters for me during this cycle. It wouldn't be anything too extravagant...probably some coffee or tea.

Does anyone have experience in matters such as this?

Thanks!

Clemenceau

Re: Gifts for Recommenders?

Postby Clemenceau » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Seems fine. Unnecessary. But fine.

Harry_Pluxen

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Someone suggested a coffee mug from the school that you end up attending. That way the gift makes sense and they have something permanent that they can remember you by.

Thoughts? Anyone else?

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Someone suggested a coffee mug from the school that you end up attending. That way the gift makes sense and they have something permanent that they can remember you by.

Thoughts? Anyone else?

I did wine, although the mug is a more personal, and cheaper, option.

Rhymes With Wolf

Postby Rhymes With Wolf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Nothing says I love you like a diamond.

Either go for the consumables, so they don't feel like it's too much of a gesture accepting it - desserts, chocolates, tea & coffee, a mug to boot sounds cool, include a nice card - or, depending on how well you know them, maybe a more personal gift that speaks to your time together. I had a professor who mentioned in passing that they lost a poster they loved in a move once, and could never find it again. Well, I found that poster online and printed it for a few bucks.

Harry_Pluxen

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Rhymes With Wolf wrote:Nothing says I love you like a diamond.

Either go for the consumables, so they don't feel like it's too much of a gesture accepting it - desserts, chocolates, tea & coffee, a mug to boot sounds cool, include a nice card - or, depending on how well you know them, maybe a more personal gift that speaks to your time together. I had a professor who mentioned in passing that they lost a poster they loved in a move once, and could never find it again. Well, I found that poster online and printed for a few bucks.

Interesting about getting a personal gift...

The problem I have with consumables is that I'm uncertain whether or not my recommenders drink coffee/tea/decaff/ wtv. etc. Wouldn't want to tip them off that I was getting them a gift or get them a gift they couldn't enjoy.

Rhymes With Wolf

Postby Rhymes With Wolf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:20 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:The problem I have with consumables is that I'm uncertain whether or not my recommenders drink coffee/tea/decaff/ wtv. etc. Wouldn't want to tip them off that I was getting them a gift or get them a gift they couldn't enjoy.

Get a gift card to a coffee/tea place, they'll be able to find something they like. Consumables can be shared with family or friends if they don't like them or are allergic. It's a gift that you didn't have to get them, no one's going to be upset about it. :lol:

Harry_Pluxen

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Rhymes With Wolf wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:The problem I have with consumables is that I'm uncertain whether or not my recommenders drink coffee/tea/decaff/ wtv. etc. Wouldn't want to tip them off that I was getting them a gift or get them a gift they couldn't enjoy.

Get a gift card to a coffee/tea place, they'll be able to find something they like. Consumables can be shared with family or friends if they don't like them or are allergic. It's a gift that you didn't have to get them, no one's going to be upset about it. :lol:

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”