Invited to apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veeder

Invited to apply

Postby Veeder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi there! This is my very first post, though I have been lingering around the forums for a few months. In the months following the December LSAT I have been invited to apply to a few schools, some of which I would have taken for "reach schools." I was curious if I had a better chance of getting accepted into these schools based simply on the fact that they had invited me to apply. Thank you in advance!

romothesavior

Re: Invited to apply

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Probably not much. Law school is really a numbers game. Depends on how your LSAT/GPA stacks up with that particular school.

What are your numbers and what schools are you looking at?

#caltrash

Postby #caltrash » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Doesn't make a difference, if I recall.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Schools want lots of people to apply, including people they will reject. It makes their selectivity numbers look good.

Veeder

Postby Veeder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Rinkrat- That makes perfect sense.
Romo- I scored a 154, I'm embarrassed to say/ University of Minnesota- Twin Cities, namely. Definitely won't be getting in there with that score, which is why I was surprised they sent me anything. However, after seeing Rinkrat's explanation it makes perfect sense why they would.

Thank you all for the prompt replies!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 am

Sorry to say OP, you'll need a much higher LSAT score to make law school a worthwhile investment. Even with an acceptance to UMN, which is unlikely, you would be facing a mountain of debt for only decent job prospects. Take a look at the stats on Law School Transparency and you'll see what I mean.

You should retake/reapply if you plan to pursue law school.

Veeder

Postby Veeder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 am

No need to be sorry-- that's the absolute truth. I totally wet the bed on game day. I appreciate your help!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Veeder wrote:No need to be sorry-- that's the absolute truth. I totally wet the bed on game day. I appreciate your help!

The good news is the LSAT is a very learnable test and schools virtually always take only your highest score. There is room for significant improvement.

There are tons of great resources here on TLS that can help you set a gameplan moving forward. Tons of TLW posters have been in your shoes and have retaken and gone on to success. If you are sure law school is for you (and you should assess the profession with eyes wide open to make that determination), then you should create a rigorous study regimen and retake. Good luck, OP.

Veeder

Postby Veeder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Thank you, Romo. :D

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Veeder wrote:No need to be sorry-- that's the absolute truth. I totally wet the bed on game day. I appreciate your help!

You're understanding of facts, like this, will take you far. You might want to sit out, learn the LSAT, and take in June or September and apply next cycle. You can do well.

Apate19

Postby Apate19 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:18 am

University if Minnesota seems to send invites to anyone. They're a top law school but I think they're running this scheme to get their stats to look better.

I had a score of 154 too and GPA below their median. Still they kept sending me invites and brochures in the mail. Saying I would be a competitive candidate and what not. I wasted the application fee based on all those invites. They send those out to collect application fees then reject applicants so they can say so many people applied and we rejected so many so their acceptance rate goes down.

What's funny as well is that it was the last school I applied to and I got a decision from them first. Every other school I applied to still haven't sent me a decision and some haven't even started reviewing. Uminnesota send me a decision in less than a month, kind of makes me question their review process.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 am

Apate19 wrote:They send those out to collect application fees then reject applicants so they can say so many people applied and we rejected so many so their acceptance rate goes down.

This also helps in the rankings. It's really a mean trick they play, but a lot do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”