Got fired from my job week before interview Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
_bird

New

Got fired from my job week before interview

Post by _bird » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 pm

So I applied to law schools and included the information about the job I was working at the time I applied. However I recently got fired from that job and I don't know what to tell law schools. I actually have an interview with a school this week and am not sure what to say. Do I tell them about it straight out? Do I lie? I can claim to be technically still working since I am receiving severance until the end of this week.

miamiri

Bronze

Re: Got fired from my job week before interview

Post by miamiri » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Never lie. That's my one cent though. I've seen people suggest all sorts of work arounds on here. I just think it will complicate things further. It is what it is and you got to own it.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 pm

_bird wrote:So I applied to law schools and included the information about the job I was working at the time I applied. However I recently got fired from that job and I don't know what to tell law schools. I actually have an interview with a school this week and am not sure what to say. Do I tell them about it straight out? Do I lie? I can claim to be technically still working since I am receiving severance until the end of this week.
Were you fired for cause? If not, then no worries, shit happens.

If yes, then don't lie but dont just offer that shit up. You left for creative differences or something like that. Perhaps management decided to reorganize the department. In that the position was eliminated...until they could replace you. Perhaps you're just more of a java guy when what they really needed was a C++ dude.

I can go on but shit, you're gonna be a lawyer, right?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:28 pm

I guess I'll be the first one to point out that if you got fired for anything within your control you might want to rethink dropping 6 figures on law school.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 pm

Did they tell you that you could still bill it as being employed? If you're getting severance then they may have. I've been in that boat and have seen others in it too. If that's the case, you're perfectly fine saying you're still employed. If not, then don't.

Why were you terminated?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

_bird

New

Post by _bird » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I was fired for cause. However, I don't entirely know why. I was the personal assistant to a very moody interior designer. The stated reason for my firing was "failed to meet expectations". I was never given any formal review or asked to do things differently, so I am a bit at a loss.

I had worked there for over a year. I was fired with absolutely no notice and given 1 weeks severance.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:42 pm

_bird wrote:I was fired for cause. However, I don't entirely know why. I was the personal assistant to a very moody interior designer. The stated reason for my firing was "failed to meet expectations". I was never given any formal review or asked to do things differently, so I am a bit at a loss.

I had worked there for over a year. I was fired with absolutely no notice and given 1 weeks severance.
I've worked in that industry, those types are in fact moody as fuck. Either you failed to realize that his/her groan was actually a request for a latte, they want to hire their client's daughter, or they suck and cant afford to pay you anymore.

blousty

New

Post by blousty » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 am

Don't lie. If they ask, tell them you and your employer parted ways because of your desire to go to law school. They won't check, I promise. If they do, you're screwed anyway. The paranoia on this board is unrealistic. The people in admissions are law grads who couldn't land a lawyer gig. They don't lie awake thinking about you at night, I promise.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:18 am

blousty wrote:Don't lie. If they ask, tell them you and your employer parted ways because of your desire to go to law school. They won't check, I promise. If they do, you're screwed anyway. The paranoia on this board is unrealistic. The people in admissions are law grads who couldn't land a lawyer gig. They don't lie awake thinking about you at night, I promise.
Don't lie...but lie?

Other than that, I agree. You're being ridiculously paranoid. 90% shot they don't bring it up. If they do, tell them what happened. Failing to meet expectations for an interior designer is not going to influence your decision. Lying about it may, though.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”