Specific LOR and personal statements

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:33 pm

1. How am I supposed to have my recommender write a "stanford specific" LOR? How would they know that my skills will prepare me to go to SLS?

2. Furthermore, for my personal statements, should I discuss why I am ready to go to law school in general, or why im ready to go to "Stanford law school" specifically?

3. I don't have an LSAC account right now, but when would be the time to create one? (Applying NEXT cycle, taking OCT 15 lsat)

4. Do my recommenders have to create an lsac account to upload the LOR? Are LOR even uploaded online?


Background info: Applying to HYS + other top 14 so if you have specific advice about these schools, id appreciate it

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:46 am

bump

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:02 am

help pls

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:14 am

boaltlaw wrote:1. How am I supposed to have my recommender write a "stanford specific" LOR? How would they know that my skills will prepare me to go to SLS?

2. Furthermore, for my personal statements, should I discuss why I am ready to go to law school in general, or why im ready to go to "Stanford law school" specifically?

3. I don't have an LSAC account right now, but when would be the time to create one? (Applying NEXT cycle, taking OCT 15 lsat)

4. Do my recommenders have to create an lsac account to upload the LOR? Are LOR even uploaded online?


Background info: Applying to HYS + other top 14 so if you have specific advice about these schools, id appreciate it

1. They can just write "applicant would succeed at Stanford Law School" or something along those lines. When you add them as a recommender it asks for a description. Most just put, "for all schools", but you can put, "for Stanford" and then assign it only to Stanford - this way it only goes out to Stanford.

2. Depends. I did not but I wrote a "Why X Law School" essay addendum when I applied to schools I was particularly interested in. Obviously if you write for why you want to go to a specific school you have to write a second version for the other schools you are applying to.

3. I don't know why you wouldn't just sign up now, but you want to make sure to sign up in July or so in order to register for the LSAT.

4. They can be uploaded online, mail it to the LSAC, or mail it to the school. Some schools don't care how they get them whereas others prefer through the LSAC. It takes 20 seconds to make an account for the LSAC and isn't very difficult for them to do. It'll upload immediately thereafter and you will get an email when it is ready.

Be sure to study & prepare for the LSAT.

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:12 am

imKMart wrote:
boaltlaw wrote:1. How am I supposed to have my recommender write a "stanford specific" LOR? How would they know that my skills will prepare me to go to SLS?

2. Furthermore, for my personal statements, should I discuss why I am ready to go to law school in general, or why im ready to go to "Stanford law school" specifically?

3. I don't have an LSAC account right now, but when would be the time to create one? (Applying NEXT cycle, taking OCT 15 lsat)

4. Do my recommenders have to create an lsac account to upload the LOR? Are LOR even uploaded online?


Background info: Applying to HYS + other top 14 so if you have specific advice about these schools, id appreciate it

1. They can just write "applicant would succeed at Stanford Law School" or something along those lines. When you add them as a recommender it asks for a description. Most just put, "for all schools", but you can put, "for Stanford" and then assign it only to Stanford - this way it only goes out to Stanford.

2. Depends. I did not but I wrote a "Why X Law School" essay addendum when I applied to schools I was particularly interested in. Obviously if you write for why you want to go to a specific school you have to write a second version for the other schools you are applying to.

3. I don't know why you wouldn't just sign up now, but you want to make sure to sign up in July or so in order to register for the LSAT.

4. They can be uploaded online, mail it to the LSAC, or mail it to the school. Some schools don't care how they get them whereas others prefer through the LSAC. It takes 20 seconds to make an account for the LSAC and isn't very difficult for them to do. It'll upload immediately thereafter and you will get an email when it is ready.

Be sure to study & prepare for the LSAT.


Thanks for the reply
1. I have a professor that I have taken a couple classes with and have done well in. He knows me by name. However, I was not planning on using him as a LOR, as I have 3 LOR already. But, he did go to HYS for a Phd, not a JD. Would it be worth it to have him as a 4th recommender and saying how id fit in at his particular alma matter?

2. Would this second version be the same essay addendum as other versions but just with "X law school" instead of "Y law school", or would it be two completely different essays?

3. Alright, thanks

4. So it is safe to say that I wont have to mail anything through snail mail during my LS app process?

And thanks, I plan to!

Thanks again for the reply

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:25 am

Well, it will be real easy to find out. "Sir, I am trying to attend law school next year and was wondering if you think you would be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation for SLS?"

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 am

RCSOB657 wrote:Well, it will be real easy to find out. "Sir, I am trying to attend law school next year and was wondering if you think you would be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation for SLS?"

re-read the question

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:20 am

méi shén me. I was responding to your first comment, but one could just as easily say, "Sir, do you think you could write me a strong letter of recommendation to HLS?"

It may be Important for you to know I did not make that up, the wording comes from adcom people. Good luck Boaltlaw (why aren't you trying to go there btw?)

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:37 am

RCSOB657 wrote:méi shén me. I was responding to your first comment, but one could just as easily say, "Sir, do you think you could write me a strong letter of recommendation to HLS?"

It may be Important for you to know I did not make that up, the wording comes from adcom people. Good luck Boaltlaw (why aren't you trying to go there btw?)


I wasn't so much asking if I could get him to write one, but rather if it would be worth it to have a 4TH letter of rec, as I've heard that anything over 3 LOR is overkill.

Also, important for me to know that you did not make what up? Not sure what you are referring to

And I do want to go to boalt as well!

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:42 am

You don't have to use every LOR for every school, when you sign up on LSAC you can assign LORs to specific schools as someone above said.

Sorry I had thought you were trying to ask how to ask for a specific school. Ignore everything else.

boaltlaw
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby boaltlaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 am

RCSOB657 wrote:You don't have to use every LOR for every school, when you sign up on LSAC you can assign LORs to specific schools as someone above said.

Sorry I had thought you were trying to ask how to ask for a specific school. Ignore everything else.


Haha alright! Would you say that 4 LOR is overkill though? (2 academic general, 1 academic specific, 1 employer general)

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:50 pm

boaltlaw wrote:
Haha alright! Would you say that 4 LOR is overkill though? (2 academic general, 1 academic specific, 1 employer general)

Some schools won't accept this many, some will. It really depends on the school you're asking about.

blousty
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby blousty » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:25 am

Just have them say the word "Stanford". While Stanford is more (kiss my butt) more recommendation specific than other schools, at the end of the day your LSAT, GPA and extra-cirrikculars are going to get you in or not. Going to CAL will do you just as well if you want to be on the west coast. Tell your professors to use the word Stanford in a meaningful sentence, and the old rich white men @ stanford should react accordingly.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Specific LOR and personal statements

Postby KMart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 am

blousty wrote:extra-cirrikculars

:shock:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, WamBamThankYouMaam and 1 guest