Scholarship expectation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dirac

Scholarship expectation

Postby dirac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:20 am

I did my undergraduate study abroad so I had no undergraduate GPA (I got my PhD degree from a top-25 school in the USA). I retook my LSAT in Feb and the score was 173. I have been accepted into Berkeley, Northwestern, and Cornell (using my Sept. LSAT score 168). I would like to use Northwestern to leverage Cornell and use Cornell's scholarship to get the match scholarship from Berkeley. Could anyone help me estimate how much I may get from Northwestern (or how much I may get from Cornell)?

Thank you very much.

ILoveYou

Re: Scholarship expectation

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Hmm, with the 173 I'd think you'd be looking at decent money (somewhere in the half-to-full scholly range) at NU, but they're having a pretty frustrating cycle for applicants this year, so who knows?

However it shakes out, I'm betting you'll end up with a school/scholly combo most people would kill for, so congrats and enjoy.

Best of luck!

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm

I'd say a pretty decent amount that could be leveraged against Cornell. Though if nw is offering you that much cornell should probably already be offering similar money.

dirac

Postby dirac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Thank you very much man, both for the information and kind wishes. I wish I could get into Berkeley Law with equal to or more than half tuition waiver. Keep my fingers crossed.

ILoveYou wrote:Hmm, with the 173 I'd think you'd be looking at decent money (somewhere in the half-to-full scholly range) at NU, but they're having a pretty frustrating cycle for applicants this year, so who knows?

However it shakes out, I'm betting you'll end up with a school/scholly combo most people would kill for, so congrats and enjoy.

Best of luck!

dirac

Postby dirac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks a lot. I heard rumors that NU was more generous than Cornell in offering scholarships, and that is why I was thinking about using NU to leverage Cornell.

RaiderRed wrote:I'd say a pretty decent amount that could be leveraged against Cornell. Though if nw is offering you that much cornell should probably already be offering similar money.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 pm

dirac wrote:Thank you very much man, both for the information and kind wishes. I wish I could get into Berkeley Law with equal to or more than half tuition waiver. Keep my fingers crossed.

ILoveYou wrote:Hmm, with the 173 I'd think you'd be looking at decent money (somewhere in the half-to-full scholly range) at NU, but they're having a pretty frustrating cycle for applicants this year, so who knows?

Best of luck!

NP. You should have a shot at that. Be sure to keep us posted!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Some schools say they specifically won't consider NU awards when negotiating scholarships because NU tends to give fewer, but larger, awards. At least that has been the case in past cycles.

dirac

Postby dirac » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 pm

I see. I did not know that. Thanks for the information. That may also be the reason Berkeley Law does not take NU scholarship negotiation. Fortunately Cornell said they would accept NU negotiation. That is why I was thinking about using possibly "larger" NU scholarship to negotiate with Cornell, assuming I can be one of the "fewer" award recipients.

Whoops, I think I used "pm" instead of "quote" for replying to your message. Sorry for this inconvenience.

rinkrat19 wrote:Some schools say they specifically won't consider NU awards when negotiating scholarships because NU tends to give fewer, but larger, awards. At least that has been the case in past cycles.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”