Scholarship Negotiation doesn't work :(

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AZ123

New

Scholarship Negotiation doesn't work :(

Postby AZ123 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 pm

After reading all of the successful negotiation anecdotes on TLS, I attempted to negotiate with a T30 school using a full-ride from T14, but I was shot down (within a few minutes, making the pain even worse).

I started this thread so others can share their experiences of failed negotiation, to help me feel better about my rejection...

MidwestLifer

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Negotiation doesn't work :(

Postby MidwestLifer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Looks like they did you a favor why would you want to go to a T30 if you have a full T14 ride?

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:47 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:Looks like they did you a favor why would you want to go to a T30 if you have a full T14 ride?

Some people have good reason to be in a certain location. Not every city has a T14.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:49 pm

1. How do you have a full ride from a T14 now? What about this post?
AZ123 wrote:I've been debating attending a T-14 I was accepted to, or a regional school in a region where I wouldn't mind working after I graduate. On a recent visit to the regional school, a law professor told me that I shouldn't go to the T-14 since I would likely end up in the bottom of the class (since my stats are near or below the school's medians). She said no one should ever go to a school to which they are "just barely" accepted since there is a high likelihood of graduating in the bottom of the class. Is there any truth to this statement, or was she just trying to get me to attend her school? Am I less likely to be competitive at the T14 since my stats are below median, or is it basically a level playing field once law school begins and undergrad stats don't matter?

2. If you have a full ride to a T14 school, there few circumstances that makes this "t30" worth attending over it.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Cardozo refused to budge from 20k/year despite my full ride + stipend from Brooklyn because they didn't consider Brooklyn a "peer school"

That's all I got

Dipper

Bronze

Postby Dipper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Schools that just "don't negotiate." i.e. Emory.

fa1493

New

Postby fa1493 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm

to say it works doesn't mean it works each and every time. Some schools are not gonna budge regardless of which school you get a full ride from. That said, this one rejection shouldn't deter you from attempting to negotiate with other schools.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:58 pm

landshoes wrote:Cardozo refused to budge from 20k/year despite my full ride + stipend from Brooklyn because they didn't consider Brooklyn a "peer school"

That's all I got

shocking

ETA didn't mean to be a douche there: they have identical (shitty) employment stats so they are peers irl; just not shocking for them to cite USNWR for this kind of stuff

hearsay77

Silver

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Already been rejected for negotiation requests with two different T20 schools, with larger scholarships from slightly higher ranked schools. Bleh.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�