why x law school addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

why x law school addendum

Postby trev_k » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:59 am

Hi!
I applied on January and still waiting for some of my dream schools. (T-14)
I didn't write separate 'why x law school' addendum but wrote 'why x law school' statement at the end of my personal statements.
Do you think it is necessary to write separate one and attach it to my files?
I anyway have to update my resume as I got a new internship and have done activities that i would like to add on.

Please give me some thoughts on the importance or need of writing separate addendum! If not needed, then i would like to only send over my updated resume!

blousty
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby blousty » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 am

Unless your why X is genuine, they think you're full of it. I'd steer clear of these unless you have a good reason. They know some random 22 year old who lives 5+ hours away doesn't love their school... The people reading these things are lawyers...

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby KMart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:35 am

How long was the statement attached to your personal statement? If it was short I'd elaborate in a one page essay with specific and sincere reasons why you want to go. You say it's your dream school; have that passion flow through to your essay.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:59 am

I've gotten a couple lower t14 WLs this cycle, only at schools where I didn't do any optional essays

Not sure that means anything, but I will say that if you are well above a median, then an optional essay is probably a good idea at any school. In hindsight, it was probably pretty clear to adcomms that I wasn't likely to attend, say, NW or georgetown, with no optional essays and an lsat well above their 75ths, thus the waitlist/hold

I dont agree that a generic why x is all that bad. Do more than 2 minutes of research and write it well, and I think it is a good move

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:12 am

blousty wrote:Unless your why X is genuine, they think you're full of it. I'd steer clear of these unless you have a good reason. They know some random 22 year old who lives 5+ hours away doesn't love their school... The people reading these things are lawyers...


This is dumb

Where did you get this

Are you suggesting some sort of emotional connection is a prerequisite for writing an effective why x?

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby KMart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:17 am

Clemenceau wrote:
blousty wrote:Unless your why X is genuine, they think you're full of it. I'd steer clear of these unless you have a good reason. They know some random 22 year old who lives 5+ hours away doesn't love their school... The people reading these things are lawyers...


This is dumb

Where did you get this

Are you suggesting some sort of emotional connection is a prerequisite for writing an effective why x?

He's been giving some pretty bad advice all night. For example he says these people are lawyers but then he says:
blousty wrote:The people in admissions are law grads who couldn't land a lawyer gig.

Just sounds like an angry troll, but it bothers me when he gives bad advice because what if future people read it?

trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby trev_k » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:43 am

KMart wrote:How long was the statement attached to your personal statement? If it was short I'd elaborate in a one page essay with specific and sincere reasons why you want to go. You say it's your dream school; have that passion flow through to your essay.


It was relatively short, so I sent addendum upon your advice. Thank you!

Clemenceau wrote:I've gotten a couple lower t14 WLs this cycle, only at schools where I didn't do any optional essays

Not sure that means anything, but I will say that if you are well above a median, then an optional essay is probably a good idea at any school. In hindsight, it was probably pretty clear to adcomms that I wasn't likely to attend, say, NW or georgetown, with no optional essays and an lsat well above their 75ths, thus the waitlist/hold

I dont agree that a generic why x is all that bad. Do more than 2 minutes of research and write it well, and I think it is a good move


Thank you!

KMart wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
blousty wrote:Unless your why X is genuine, they think you're full of it. I'd steer clear of these unless you have a good reason. They know some random 22 year old who lives 5+ hours away doesn't love their school... The people reading these things are lawyers...


This is dumb

Where did you get this

Are you suggesting some sort of emotional connection is a prerequisite for writing an effective why x?

He's been giving some pretty bad advice all night. For example he says these people are lawyers but then he says:
blousty wrote:The people in admissions are law grads who couldn't land a lawyer gig.

Just sounds like an angry troll, but it bothers me when he gives bad advice because what if future people read it?


Well seems like i made a good call on writing addendum after seeing all advice.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: why x law school addendum

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:52 am

Hopefully it bodes well for the remainder of your cycle!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 1 guest