How does admissions interpret this work experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imDEREK

How does admissions interpret this work experience?

Postby imDEREK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 am

First of all a few caveats:
1. I don't want to attend a T-14 law program
2. I know that GPA and LSAT are the driving forces, and I'm aware it's popular to retake the LSAT until you've exhausted your chances.
3. I believe I have access to a niche with increasing legal concerns and I'm wondering if admissions would A) recognize this, B) consider me favorably against other applicants.

Here is the best way to explain what I did in the last five years since graduating:

I have always been interested in the ocean---particularly the conflicts of resource management and the battles between industry and environmentalists. After college, I returned home to San Diego where I worked for 5 years in the fishing industry. I earned a captain's license from the Coast Guard and operated trips from 1-15 days extending from Catalina to Panama.. The leadership position as captain coupled with my academic background, afforded me a unique perspective on a blue-collar industry. Essentially I earned entry into a a group of stake-holders whose vested interest in the ocean places them almost constantly at odds with the scientific and legal community.

While I may have discovered my “calling” in a unconventional method, I feel very passionately that I'd excel in the role as a mediator. In a sense, I've “put my time” in with the commercial fishing community and earned their trust, and obtaining a JD would help to legitimize myself in the academic world. I am leaving fishing---albeit only temporarily---in the hope that furthering my education will allow me to help an industry and environment I care deeply about.

I'm curious what the admissions department at a good law program would think about such a thoughtful, decided career path. In my mind, a law-school would look favorably upon a candidate who works diligently in his field, discovers there are issues that can be remedied by law, attends law school, and returns to the industry to address the concerns.

Working on the boat kept me away from home up to 300 days a year. In order to prepare for the LSAT, I left at the end of last season. I have been working with oceanographers at Scripps Institute of Oceanography. As a scientific assistant, I am gaining insight into the challenges academics face when dealing with fisherman.

Thank you

Anyone else do something like this?

RZ5646

Re: How does admissions interpret this work experience?

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 am

That's the best personal statement I've ever read. Why are you worried?

imDEREK

Postby imDEREK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:27 am

I thought it sounded good but it's hard to get feedback from fellow commercial fisherman---most have a GED, so if they are enthusiastic I have to take it with a grain of salt.
The two fisheries lawyers I spoke with all followed very traditional paths to school.

pylon

Postby pylon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 am

imDEREK wrote:I'm curious what the admissions department at a good law program would think about such a thoughtful, decided career path. In my mind, a law-school would look favorably upon a candidate who works diligently in his field, discovers there are issues that can be remedied by law, attends law school, and returns to the industry to address the concerns.

I agree. This sounds unique and quite focused. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”