Using the Hazelwood Act with some change on the side!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Country

Using the Hazelwood Act with some change on the side!

Postby Country » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello veterans I’m posting the same thing in the financial aid forum. Just trying to get some solid info. I’m an Army veteran from Texas. I will have exhausted my G.I. Bill in May. I am eligible for the Hazelwood. I got admittance letters from University of Houston School of Law (tier 1) and Thurgood Marshall School of Law (tier 4). TMSL offered me a merit scholarship of $10K+ and the same each year if I remain in the top 10% of my class. I’m going to talk to them about removing the top 10 restriction and increasing it. I have not received a scholarship offer from U of H yet. I’m 99% positive I will go to U of H, but I have a family to support and me taking 3 years off to go to law school is dependent on my receiving a return check every semester to cover some of my expenses. How does it work in regards to the Hazelwood Act? If total cost is $40K, tuition is $20K (paid by Hazelwood) and then I get a $20K scholarship, does that mean that I will get the $20K returned back to me? And being a URM 34, 3.7 GPA, 153 LSAT, do I have any options in negotiating with UH since my LSAT score is below their average? Or do I just have to accept whatever they offer? I want to attend law school without having to worry about working, at least in my first year. If I do decide to go to UH regardless of what they offer me, what options do to I have and what can I expect to receive back in my pocket with using the Hazelwood plus loans? Does using the Hazelwood decrease the amount of loans you can take out or limit your scholarships? Thanks.

Winston1984

Re: Using the Hazelwood Act with some change on the side!

Postby Winston1984 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Country wrote:Hello veterans I’m posting the same thing in the financial aid forum. Just trying to get some solid info. I’m an Army veteran from Texas. I will have exhausted my G.I. Bill in May. I am eligible for the Hazelwood. I got admittance letters from University of Houston School of Law (tier 1) and Thurgood Marshall School of Law (tier 4). TMSL offered me a merit scholarship of $10K+ and the same each year if I remain in the top 10% of my class. I’m going to talk to them about removing the top 10 restriction and increasing it. I have not received a scholarship offer from U of H yet. I’m 99% positive I will go to U of H, but I have a family to support and me taking 3 years off to go to law school is dependent on my receiving a return check every semester to cover some of my expenses. How does it work in regards to the Hazelwood Act? If total cost is $40K, tuition is $20K (paid by Hazelwood) and then I get a $20K scholarship, does that mean that I will get the $20K returned back to me? And being a URM 34, 3.7 GPA, 153 LSAT, do I have any options in negotiating with UH since my LSAT score is below their average? Or do I just have to accept whatever they offer? I want to attend law school without having to worry about working, at least in my first year. If I do decide to go to UH regardless of what they offer me, what options do to I have and what can I expect to receive back in my pocket with using the Hazelwood plus loans? Does using the Hazelwood decrease the amount of loans you can take out or limit your scholarships? Thanks.

Are you sure that's right? Never heard of such an absurd stipulation.

Country

Postby Country » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
Country wrote:Hello veterans I’m posting the same thing in the financial aid forum. Just trying to get some solid info. I’m an Army veteran from Texas. I will have exhausted my G.I. Bill in May. I am eligible for the Hazelwood. I got admittance letters from University of Houston School of Law (tier 1) and Thurgood Marshall School of Law (tier 4). TMSL offered me a merit scholarship of $10K+ and the same each year if I remain in the top 10% of my class. I’m going to talk to them about removing the top 10 restriction and increasing it. I have not received a scholarship offer from U of H yet. I’m 99% positive I will go to U of H, but I have a family to support and me taking 3 years off to go to law school is dependent on my receiving a return check every semester to cover some of my expenses. How does it work in regards to the Hazelwood Act? If total cost is $40K, tuition is $20K (paid by Hazelwood) and then I get a $20K scholarship, does that mean that I will get the $20K returned back to me? And being a URM 34, 3.7 GPA, 153 LSAT, do I have any options in negotiating with UH since my LSAT score is below their average? Or do I just have to accept whatever they offer? I want to attend law school without having to worry about working, at least in my first year. If I do decide to go to UH regardless of what they offer me, what options do to I have and what can I expect to receive back in my pocket with using the Hazelwood plus loans? Does using the Hazelwood decrease the amount of loans you can take out or limit your scholarships? Thanks.

Are you sure that's right? Never heard of such an absurd stipulation.

If the stipulation you are referring to is the 10% here is what was sent to me:

Congratulations on recently being admitted to Thurgood Marshall School of Law. I am pleased to inform you that in recognition of you achievements, both personal qualities and potential to contribute to Thurgood Marshall community, the college of law will award you an Academic Scholarship in the minimum amount of $10,000. The Academic Scholarship will be applied toward your tuition and fees for the 2015-2016 academic school year. Furthermore, I would like to remind you that our Academic Scholarship extends to the second and third year for those students who are in the top 10% in the form of full tuition and fees for the second year, and half tuition and fees for the third year.

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:15 pm

I read that as: if you finish in the top 10% you get bumped up to a full tuition scholarship for 2L and to half for 3L. This is probably a way to discourage people from transferring out.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:01 am

If Hazelwood is anything like the GI Bill (also, I thought Hazelwood paid full in-state tuition in Texas?) then it's the last payer - which means that any scholarships you get come first.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:30 am

Why do you want to go to LS?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey Country I posted in your other thread as well. There is an actual veterans thread where you'll probably get better information.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&start=1700

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 am

My understanding is that it works like twenty described. Hazelwood pays (technically doesn't actually "pay" anything; the school is just out that tuition, which is why it's up for debate in the lege this session) whatever is left on the bill. If you get a Full Scholarship - $1, then Hazelwood only covers that $1. As far as I know, there's only a few military programs that will pay a stipend beyond tuition/fees and they both are for folks that are still active duty (e.g. FLEP). I admit to not being an expert, though. There seem to be dozens of ways Uncle Sam (or in this case, Uncle Sam Houston?) will help pay for school.

Like Texas Tech, UH has an office for Veterans Programs. They would be the ones to call to get a definitive answer.
http://www.uh.edu/veterans/contact-us

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”