LOR from grad+work vs undergrad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Petrichor

LOR from grad+work vs undergrad

Postby Petrichor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Last edited by Petrichor on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubberplant2020

Re: LOR from grad+work vs undergrad

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Petrichor wrote:I finished my BA in 2010 and will most likely be applying to the class of 2019 (start in fall 2016), I have not kept in touch with my professors from undergrad but I am currently enrolled in grad school and will also have 5+ years of work exp by the time I apply, should I still badger my undergrad professors for letters or can I substitute those with grad professors + work? I highly doubt any of my undergrad professors still remember me..

Who ever knows you better or who you feel will write the best letter you should choose.
-Yoda

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:30 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:
Petrichor wrote:I finished my BA in 2010 and will most likely be applying to the class of 2019 (start in fall 2016), I have not kept in touch with my professors from undergrad but I am currently enrolled in grad school and will also have 5+ years of work exp by the time I apply, should I still badger my undergrad professors for letters or can I substitute those with grad professors + work? I highly doubt any of my undergrad professors still remember me..

Who ever knows you better or who you feel will write the best letter you should choose.
-Yoda

That was def lincoln

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Helioze wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:

-Yoda

That was def lincoln

Lmao it's hard to write like Yoda

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

You're fine. I used letter from two bosses last cycle, no academic letters, and still outperformed my numbers. I can't imagine it would make any difference at all except at maybe Y or S.

stt1

Postby stt1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Some schools do have a special attraction to academic letters. Luckily, you don't have a problem here, because there is no special preference for undergrad academic letters vs grad academic letters.

You should probably go with 2 academic letters and 1 work letter, for any school that ask for 2 academic letters. If a school doesn't express a preference, then give them 1 of each (don't send a third unless it is of equal strength, or you risk diluting the effect).

Pick some profs in your current grad program who you have worked closely with, stop by their office hours, and mention your law school plans (without asking for a letter yet), so that when you do eventually ask months down the road, it isn't coming out of the blue, and they feel that you are pursuing a logical long term plan. Try to take courses or attend events with them to give them an even better idea of your capabilities, and try to engage with them on your academic or research work whenever possible. You want people who can speak with specifics as to your ability, not just say "she did well in my class" or some such. For work, you should keep in touch with whoever there will be writing your letters, keep them updated on your developing plans, long before you ask them for the letter.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Two grad professor LORs are just as good as two undergrad LORs.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”