Letters of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flhelms

Letters of Recommendation

Postby flhelms » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 am

Hello,
I am struggling with my letters of recommendation. I have time. I'm sitting out this cycle to retake the LSAT. But I am trying to get everything ready to get in early next cycle. Most of my target schools require two LORs and most recommend to have at least one from an academic standpoint. I have been out of school since December 2008. I never made the time to get close to any of my professors. Now, I feel like an idiot for it. Since I graduated from undergrad, I've been working in customer service. I was able to get one LOR from my current boss and I was very thankful. He was my former boss at the time (long story) and I hope that won't cause an issue.

But the other LOR I am struggling to get. I worked for an insurance company from November 2013-May 2014. They had a formal 2 month classroom training program. I tried to get one of the trainers to write one but I am realizing I cannot count on her to follow through. I could ask one of the other trainers or one of my colleagues in the training course. I have some professors that may remember me but I think it would be better to attempt to get one from a more recent standpoint. I'm planning on trying to email the trainers today to see if I can get them to answer me.

I think I'm more rambling/venting. And I am probably over-stressing it. But does anyone have any advice?

boaltlaw

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby boaltlaw » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:56 am

flhelms wrote:Hello,
I am struggling with my letters of recommendation. I have time. I'm sitting out this cycle to retake the LSAT. But I am trying to get everything ready to get in early next cycle. Most of my target schools require two LORs and most recommend to have at least one from an academic standpoint. I have been out of school since December 2008. I never made the time to get close to any of my professors. Now, I feel like an idiot for it. Since I graduated from undergrad, I've been working in customer service. I was able to get one LOR from my current boss and I was very thankful. He was my former boss at the time (long story) and I hope that won't cause an issue.

But the other LOR I am struggling to get. I worked for an insurance company from November 2013-May 2014. They had a formal 2 month classroom training program. I tried to get one of the trainers to write one but I am realizing I cannot count on her to follow through. I could ask one of the other trainers or one of my colleagues in the training course. I have some professors that may remember me but I think it would be better to attempt to get one from a more recent standpoint. I'm planning on trying to email the trainers today to see if I can get them to answer me.

I think I'm more rambling/venting. And I am probably over-stressing it. But does anyone have any advice?

2008-2015 is a long time. I'm sure one of your professors remembers your name though, I would try to go with one of them. If not and you went to a big school, try to talk to a professor that you perhaps took more than one class with. At the very least, make sure you and your professor have an understanding that they will not write anything negative. It might also be a plus if you ask him/her out to coffee/lunch and talk to them on a personal level, and discuss things beyond LOR (such as their job, research, etc.) good luck

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”