W and what does it mean

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jordanrex30

W and what does it mean

Postby Jordanrex30 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:13 am

I am curious to learn more about a W and what it means. Right now I am in a class and my current grade is an 80% im worried how it will effect my GPA and was hoping to figure out if I withdrew and received a W instead of low B how LSAC would factor that into my academic summary report. Thanks for any help!

rungoodinc

Re: W and what does it mean

Postby rungoodinc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 am

A 'W" will not count against your GPA at all. However, you shouldn't withdraw more than maybe once, or twice, from a class. If you are withdrawing all the time it will probably draw a red flag to admissions committees.

I had 2 withdraws on my transcript and it didn't hurt me at all (accepted at NYU as a splitter).

Jordanrex30

Postby Jordanrex30 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:53 am

so it's obviously way better to have that W then to stick out the semester and end up with a B? Thanks for your help

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:38 pm

rungoodinc wrote:A 'W" will not count against your GPA at all. However, you shouldn't withdraw more than maybe once, or twice, from a class. If you are withdrawing all the time it will probably draw a red flag to admissions committees.

I had 2 withdraws on my transcript and it didn't hurt me at all (accepted at NYU as a splitter).

meh, i had like 5 over 4 years. nobody batted an eye

were in lawl skool because we're lazy, after all

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Jordanrex30 wrote:so it's obviously way better to have that W then to stick out the semester and end up with a B? Thanks for your help

Correct, the W is better than the B.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Wouldn't you have to retake a course you have already paid for? Is the difference between a B and a W really worth the tuition money?

stt1

Postby stt1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

You might try speaking with the prof before deciding, letting him know your grade concerns honestly (while making clear you aren't asking for a better grade, just finding out information), and determining a) whether there are extra credit opportunities and b) what kind of improvement you'd need to see going forward to bring it up to an A or A-. It might be a longshot, but there are some pretty counterintuitive ways in which grading can work out depending on the prof. Also, make sure withdrawing wouldn't put you at less than full-time student status, or otherwise make it look like you took a light semester.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:Wouldn't you have to retake a course you have already paid for? Is the difference between a B and a W really worth the tuition money?

Sure but if it would affect OP's GPA much, it could be the difference in getting in to or not getting in to certain schools, or make a difference how much $$ s/he is offered at certain schools. When you frame it like that, it could easily be worth how ever much the class costs.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
stoopkid13 wrote:Wouldn't you have to retake a course you have already paid for? Is the difference between a B and a W really worth the tuition money?

Sure but if it would affect OP's GPA much, it could be the difference in getting in to or not getting in to certain schools, or make a difference how much $$ s/he is offered at certain schools. When you frame it like that, it could easily be worth how ever much the class costs.

I can't imagine that it would...it's a one point difference. Assuming OP graduates with 120 credits and its a 3 credit course, thats a difference of .025. Do you think schools would look at a 3.800 and a 3.775 that differently? Possibly if OPs right on a GPA median, but even then I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars to bump my GPA by a few hundreths.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 am

stoopkid13 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

I can't imagine that it would...it's a one point difference. Assuming OP graduates with 120 credits and its a 3 credit course, thats a difference of .025. Do you think schools would look at a 3.800 and a 3.775 that differently? Possibly if OPs right on a GPA median, but even then I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars to bump my GPA by a few hundreths.

You are making several assumptions here, but I'll leave it alone.

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:57 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
stoopkid13 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

You are making several assumptions here, but I'll leave it alone.

I'm just going to say that the way I read this comment and then immediately looked at your Kevin Hart avatar just killed me. Perfection! haha

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 am

Yeah had like 6 W's and my cycle's been unaffected

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 pm

stt1 wrote:Also, make sure withdrawing wouldn't put you at less than full-time student status, or otherwise make it look like you took a light semester.

I went part-time my last semester and have had no issues with my cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”