Resume Typo Submitted to Law Schools! What Now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
waterandparchedearth

Resume Typo Submitted to Law Schools! What Now?

Postby waterandparchedearth » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:27 pm

I was just going over my resume, which I have brought to my school's Career Service's office and had edited according to their specifications. Turns out there is a major mistake they (and I) did not catch.

I essentially wrote "Blank University Summer Session", "Courses in X, Y and X", repeating X. That's not the format, but that is the error. I am in a total panic, as my applications have been out since January. I've applied to 16 schools, being accepted at 4 (with scholarships at 2), waitlisted at Cornell and rejected at Michigan.

How do I correct this? Should I assume that this will impact my admissions decisions? Can I just send an email to schools with an attached "Updated Resume" even though I have nothing new to add to my resume, other than some reformatting and to correct the error?

rpupkin

Re: Resume Typo Submitted to Law Schools! What Now?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Most admissions offices won't notice. And those that notice probably won't care. It's not a big deal.

Sending in an updated application (with a corrected typo) will just call attention to your minor mistake. I think it's pointless. This is very, very unlikely to have any effect at all on your cycle.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm

waterandparchedearth wrote:I was just going over my resume, which I have brought to my school's Career Service's office and had edited according to their specifications. Turns out there is a major mistake they (and I) did not catch.

I essentially wrote "Blank University Summer Session", "Courses in X, Y and X", repeating X. That's not the format, but that is the error. I am in a total panic, as my applications have been out since January. I've applied to 16 schools, being accepted at 4 (with scholarships at 2), waitlisted at Cornell and rejected at Michigan.

How do I correct this? Should I assume that this will impact my admissions decisions? Can I just send an email to schools with an attached "Updated Resume" even though I have nothing new to add to my resume, other than some reformatting and to correct the error?

Good news! You'll be able to correct this next cycle after you retake.

Just a few points higher and law school might make sense.

As for this cycle, the odds are that nobody's going to catch typo. It's not like people are going through resumes with a fine tooth comb when they've got thousands of the things to look at.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:35 pm

rpupkin wrote:Most admissions offices won't notice. And those that notice probably won't care. It's not a big deal.

Sending in an updated application (with a corrected typo) will just call attention to your minor mistake. I think it's pointless. This is very, very unlikely to have any effect at all on your cycle.

I disagree. I would send a revised copy. Spivey has said that it happens all the time, no biggie.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Most admissions offices won't notice. And those that notice probably won't care. It's not a big deal.

I disagree. I would send a revised copy. Spivey has said that it happens all the time, no biggie.

If Spivey recommends sending in an updated application, then the OP should definitely follow that advice. I still doubt it will matter one way or the other.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

If Spivey recommends sending in an updated application, then the OP should definitely follow that advice. I still doubt it will matter one way or the other.

It highly likely doesn't matter either way, rpupkin is correct. A pattern of mistakes would matter.

The nice thing about updating with a better copy is that the AdComm won't likely ever know what happened. An administrator will do all the paper work and the AdComm will read the most recent résumé, not the older one. but in the end, really not a big deal unless you get some hyper sensitive grouchy reader (which is why I recommend correcting it)
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterandparchedearth

Postby waterandparchedearth » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for the extremely helpful advice, everyone! If Spivey said it, that's what I'm doing. I didn't know you'd mentioned this issue, so thanks for letting me know. I'll send updated resumes tomorrow after getting it triple checked to be certain. And thanks for chiming in!

Also, to the person who took the time to look up my numbers, I appreciate your opinion but my current best LSAT was my retake, and I've already received scholarships/acceptances to schools I'd be happy attending. Thanks for your opinion though, your point is well taken.

ETA: Just realized you may not have looked up my numbers and just guessed from my acceptances. Sorry! Point is still well taken, so thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”