UIUC scholarship negotiation question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theramblingfool

Bronze

UIUC scholarship negotiation question

Post by theramblingfool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Re: UIUC scholarship negotiation question

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 am

A full scholarship offer initially includes only tuition, not the $3,900 or so annual fees which are tied to the university (and include health insurance, etc.) I have read here that some people have negotiated a full ride to include some/all of the fees, but have never heard of the school including a full tuition, plus fees, plus living stipend and would be terribly surprised to hear that they would do so.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 am

Wingtip88 wrote:A full scholarship offer initially includes only tuition, not the $3,900 or so annual fees which are tied to the university (and include health insurance, etc.) I have read here that some people have negotiated a full ride to include some/all of the fees, but have never heard of the school including a full tuition, plus fees, plus living stipend and would be terribly surprised to hear that they would do so.
According to their ABA report only a handful of students even got the fees covered. It'd surprise me if any one of them received aid for living expenses as well.

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 am

The ABA reports of all schools can be found here http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

UIUC gave 10 scholarships worth more than full tuition across the full student body (543 students), which is what you'd be looking for, so they apparently do make such offers occasionally, but not often. I would wait until you have some scholarship information from the T14 you've gotten into, that way you know your bargaining position better.

theramblingfool

Bronze

Post by theramblingfool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:15 pm

The only way you'll find this out is if/when you ask.

PublicInterest2018

New

Post by PublicInterest2018 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm curious on that too... over 3k/yr in fees is no joke.

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:53 am

theramblingfool wrote:
antiworldly wrote:The ABA reports of all schools can be found here http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

UIUC gave 10 scholarships worth more than full tuition across the full student body (543 students), which is what you'd be looking for, so they apparently do make such offers occasionally, but not often. I would wait until you have some scholarship information from the T14 you've gotten into, that way you know your bargaining position better.
While helpful, the problem with that resource is that it says "more than full tuition". A scholarship for tuition plus fees (but no living stipend) would be for more than full tuition, and we already knew they give scholarships for that amount.
I'm curious if the handful of "More than full tuition" are people who came in on a full tuition out of state scholarship and later obtained in state status.

fallingup77

New

Post by fallingup77 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 am

I'm a 1L at UIUC. Initial offer was for full tuition. I negotiated-specifically asking for a stipend because Indiana offered me one-and was told Illinois does not offer stipends. They told me their highest offers are full-tuition and fees. They could have been lying, but I doubt it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PublicInterest2018

New

Post by PublicInterest2018 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 am

fallingup77 wrote:I'm a 1L at UIUC. Initial offer was for full tuition. I negotiated-specifically asking for a stipend because Indiana offered me one-and was told Illinois does not offer stipends. They told me their highest offers are full-tuition and fees. They could have been lying, but I doubt it.
Thanks. Have you been happy with your decision to attend? Why did you pick UIUC over IUB?

fallingup77

New

Post by fallingup77 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

PublicInterest2018 wrote:
fallingup77 wrote:I'm a 1L at UIUC. Initial offer was for full tuition. I negotiated-specifically asking for a stipend because Indiana offered me one-and was told Illinois does not offer stipends. They told me their highest offers are full-tuition and fees. They could have been lying, but I doubt it.
Thanks. Have you been happy with your decision to attend? Why did you pick UIUC over IUB?
I'm very happy with my decision. I decided against IU because Chicago is one of the markets I am most interested in working in long-term. Illinois obviously places really well in Chicago and I feared being stuck in Indiana long-term if I went to IU.

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Silver

Post by Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
theramblingfool wrote:
antiworldly wrote:The ABA reports of all schools can be found here http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

While helpful, the problem with that resource is that it says "more than full tuition". A scholarship for tuition plus fees (but no living stipend) would be for more than full tuition, and we already knew they give scholarships for that amount.
I'm curious if the handful of "More than full tuition" are people who came in on a full tuition out of state scholarship and later obtained in state status.
Highly unlikely, the state of Illinois has very strict laws governing residency. Coming for school almost always bars residency claims, at least during the relevant time period.

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

"Pumpkin-Duke of Pie" wrote:
WichitaShocker wrote:
theramblingfool wrote:

Highly unlikely, the state of Illinois has very strict laws governing residency. Coming for school almost always bars residency claims, at least during the relevant time period.
From what I've seen, I believe you can gain residency if you have a spouse who has worked a full time job in Illinois for a year, would that not make it possible to gain instate for your 2L (If your spouse started work before the day 1) or at least 3L?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”