Disciplinary Action and Law School Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
triplenick624

Disciplinary Action and Law School Applications

Postby triplenick624 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum, and I would like to know if the following incident would cause material harm to my law school applications.

During my freshman year (September 2013), I was found violating my university's non-alcohol and drug policy by using marijuana. I was asked to complete an educational assessment, which I completed in a timely fashion. My university did not consider this to be a disciplinary incident, and it would not be disclosed unless I requested my university to disclose it. This was an isolated incident, and I have not been held responsible for other incidents (minus one or two noise violations that did not require any sort of confrontation... I talk pretty loudly). If I were to disclose this, the letter from my Dean of Students would say something very similar to this.

Now, I intend on applying to many of the T14 law schools, and I intend on disclosing this to them. Will this incident, if it remains the only blister on my disciplinary record, materially harm my application to the T14 law schools?

Thanks!

mvp99

Re: Disciplinary Action and Law School Applications

Postby mvp99 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 pm

No, disclose.

triplenick624

Postby triplenick624 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:12 pm

mvp99 wrote:No, disclose.

Is your "no" directed at the idea of not disclosing it or is it directed at the fact that it will cause no material harm if disclosed?

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:03 pm

triplenick624 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:No, disclose.

Is your "no" directed at the idea of not disclosing it or is it directed at the fact that it will cause no material harm if disclosed?

Will this incident, if it remains the only blister on my disciplinary record, materially harm my application to the T14 law schools? No. Disclose everything.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”