What to do for apps and 1 more year before law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jthach

What to do for apps and 1 more year before law school

Postby jthach » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Hello all,

So having missed the current cycle, I am planning on taking the LSAT in June and applying for the 2015-16 cycle, which would leave me as a 1L in Fall 2016. I was just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on what to do during this gap year that would strengthen my law school apps.

A little background: I graduated from a "top state" with 3.75 (honors, student leadership, etc.), but it comes out to 3.66 LSDAS GPA, and I studied sociology. I am finishing a MA with currently a 3.85 in Human Rights and International Migration and at least got a chapter published in a new book. After college, I worked first at an internship doing development work, grants, and community organizing at a nonprofit, a job teaching at a museum, another job doing workshops at conferences across the country for youth, then worked almost 1.5 years at a gov agency as a program coordinator to develop a new city initiative to support volunteerism for seniors and older adults. With all this experience, nothing is essentially legal-related; much of it is just me trying to find work rather than following career goals. I do want to work in criminal, immigration law, and would like to work on issues regarding incarceration and prisons. However, it's been difficult finding these positions and also not having a JD to really get immersed.

Is there anything I could do to help reaching T13 easier? I have prepped high 160s, but finding it difficult to reach 170+. I would just like to hear new ideas that could point me in a better or new direction (aside from continuing to prep for 170+!). Also, is there any way to strategically talk about my work experiences? Are they even that interesting? Seniors and older adults aren't exactly a hot topic.
Last edited by jthach on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballcaps

Re: What to do for 1 more year before law school apps

Postby ballcaps » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:41 pm

jthach wrote:What to do for 1 more year before law school apps

that's a lot of quality work experience + soft factors.

the thing you can do is study really hard and do really well on the lsat.

find the best job you can, but focus on studying.

jthach

Re: What to do for 1 more year before law school apps

Postby jthach » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 pm

ballcaps wrote:
jthach wrote:What to do for 1 more year before law school apps

that's a lot of quality work experience + soft factors.

the thing you can do is study really hard and do really well on the lsat.

find the best job you can, but focus on studying.

Yeah... Actually I would say that I am still prepping at mid-160s and finding it difficult to reach the 168+ range.

hillz

Re: What to do for apps and 1 more year before law school

Postby hillz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 am

Don't worry about your past jobs not being related to law in any way. It sounds like you have some interesting experiences and that will help you in your PS and interviews. Also, you may want to head over to the LSAT forum if you haven't already and look at the resources, join a study group, ask questions about your specific study plan, etc. It really helped me when I was studying, if only for motivation and to know that other people were going thriugh the same thing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”