"Yielding Protection" on Scholarships?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fred Norris

"Yielding Protection" on Scholarships?

Postby Fred Norris » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:44 am

I'm in at HS, waiting on Y. I have very high numbers.

I am really hoping to get a Levy from Penn as Penn is one of my top choices so long as I am willing to forget about unicorn type jobs (the more I think of it, the more I am okay with it). I'd take a Levy over my current Hamilton.

The problem is that people with my numbers are apparently passed over for Levys

During my scholarship interview with Duke, I was more or less told that they yield protect on scholarships: "we only have so much money to distribute, and we want to make sure we are giving it to people who are very interested in Duke." Needless to say, I was not given a Mordecai.

I feel like I wrote a pretty good Levy essay explaining why Penn is an ideal institution for me.

Is there anything else I could/should do? Is it unheard of for someone to take a Levy over a Hamilton?

PLEASE NO QUOTING.
Last edited by Fred Norris on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

RZ5646

Re: "Yielding Protection" on Scholarships?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 am

Just wondering, why Penn over Hamilton?

Fred Norris

Postby Fred Norris » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 am

RZ5646 wrote:Just wondering, why Penn over Hamilton?

I like the atmosphere much better at Penn, and I have strong ties to the area.

I don't see any professional advantage of going to Columbia vs. Penn. Things seem like Y then HS then everything else.

If you're going off all the stats Brian Leiter has compiled (and they are quite compelling), then it seems more like Y then everything else.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 am

Someone said that last year the only person that was invited for, but didn't get, the Levy was someone who declined to write the essay. Dunno about the veracity of the statement.

If they invited you for the Levy, then I don't think that they are looking to YP you from the scholarship. Otherwise they wouldn't have invited you in the first place. Just register for the ASW and you should be okay.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Wanna trade

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”