2016 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
georgej

Re: 2016 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced)

Postby georgej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 am

bjsesq wrote:
georgej wrote:Thanks everyone, thanks Spivey. Boo would be more fun than me probably, but what I lack in wit I make up for in irrelevance.

You are one of the coolest people on this site, George. Enjoy that shit.

Thanks, I'm just kidding anyway. I've always wanted to see Boulder, almost went to law school there actually.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:42 am

georgej wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
georgej wrote:Thanks everyone, thanks Spivey. Boo would be more fun than me probably, but what I lack in wit I make up for in irrelevance.

You are one of the coolest people on this site, George. Enjoy that shit.

Thanks, I'm just kidding anyway. I've always wanted to see Boulder, almost went to law school there actually.

That would have been inexpensive for me.

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:24 am

:lol:

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 am

Congrats winners! I wish 7th place came with hot sauce.

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:42 am

Big thank you to Robb, who makes this contest way easier to run every year with his giant brain and programming skills.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:50 am

It appears Chemerinsky pwnd me twice by selling me a $80 paperback phone book and knocking my school down a spot. Touché Erwin.

Oh grat's to the winners. I live vicariously through your glory.

uci2013

Re: 2016 USNWR T25 Pred. Cont. (ANNOUNCING WINNERS TODAY)

Postby uci2013 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Irvine had 42.9% employment for 2013 grads at time of graduation, ouch. That includes JD advantage jobs, too.

Wow. That is horrible, especially considering their small class size (which will grow substantially in the years to come).

Actually given the public interest focus, it isn't that surprising. Many government and PI positions do not hire until after the bar, or only hire those admitted to the bar already.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm

uci2013 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Irvine had 42.9% employment for 2013 grads at time of graduation, ouch. That includes JD advantage jobs, too.

Wow. That is horrible, especially considering their small class size (which will grow substantially in the years to come).

Actually given the public interest focus, it isn't that surprising. Many government and PI positions do not hire until after the bar, or only hire those admitted to the bar already.

8)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Hey, strong first showing. It's basically the Davis of SoCal. If they keep class sizes low and are generous with $$, the outlook doesn't look bleak.
I imagine it's natural for employment to lag for new law schools. Plus, California is super saturated so that doesn't help.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:44 pm

uci2013 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Good point. Schools like Hastings and Irvine really get shafted because of their government/PI focus. And, frankly, I'm gratified that someone finally took the initiative to create a Southern California version of Hastings. Thank you, Dean Chem!

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Dirigo wrote:Hey, strong first showing. It's basically the Davis of SoCal. If they keep class sizes low and are generous with $$, the outlook doesn't look bleak.
I imagine it's natural for employment to lag for new law schools. Plus, California is super saturated so that doesn't help.

it might be the davis of socal in terms of faculty quality and entering student numbers, but in terms of employment outcomes it's more like the hastings of socal at the moment, which is not what the world needs

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I should have gone with my first inclination, post the 2014 rankings as my prediction. But where’s the fun in that? Nevertheless, seems like that would have juiced my score. Did anyone try that?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:02 pm

If anyone has any questions they want addressed in respect to USNWR rankings, let me know and we will try to address them in this podcast:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... questions/

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Hey, strong first showing. It's basically the Davis of SoCal. If they keep class sizes low and are generous with $$, the outlook doesn't look bleak.

it might be the davis of socal in terms of faculty quality and entering student numbers, but in terms of employment outcomes it's more like the hastings of socal at the moment, which is not what the world needs

Has more potential though. HasTTTings has just thrown in the towel and is relying on its location to attract people.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Dirigo wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

Has more potential though. HasTTTings has just thrown in the towel and is relying on its location to attract people.

Doesn't UCI have similar potential? They admitted 80-something students in 2014 in a blatant attempt to get a strong initial ranking. Once enrollment goes up to 200 students per year, and once Dean Chem is no longer calling in clerkship favors for his favorite dozen students, I doubt UCI's overall employment picture will look significantly different from hastings. It seems like most of UCI's "potential" is in the downward direction.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

Doesn't UCI have similar potential? They admitted 80-something students in 2014 in a blatant attempt to get a strong initial ranking. Once enrollment goes up to 200 students per year, and once Dean Chem is no longer calling in clerkship favors for his favorite dozen students, I doubt UCI's overall employment picture will look significantly different from hastings. It seems like most of UCI's "potential" is in the downward direction.

Sorry for being unclear, but I was saying that UCI has more potential. Hastings is a dumpster.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Dirigo wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Has more potential though. HasTTTings has just thrown in the towel and is relying on its location to attract people.

Sorry for being unclear, but I was saying that UCI has more potential. Hastings is a dumpster.

You weren't unclear; I understood you. I am saying that most signs point to UCI turning into roughly the same dumpster fire that Hastings currently is. UCI has downward, not upward, potential.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:If anyone has any questions they want addressed in respect to USNWR rankings, let me know and we will try to address them in this podcast:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... questions/

What are they good for?

Postby 071816 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Has more potential though. HasTTTings has just thrown in the towel and is relying on its location to attract people.

You weren't unclear; I understood you. I am saying that most signs point to UCI turning into roughly the same dumpster fire that Hastings currently is. UCI has downward, not upward, potential.

Pretty much. The last thing California (especially Southern California) needed was another law school...

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Tbf, I'm squirreling out on coffee right now and only read your first sentence (since im destined for a 38th ranked law school, why bother?)

I'm not going to go to bat for Irvine. It remains to be seen, but so far it seems like they've been following a very rational admissions strategy. I bet it's hard to get any law school off the ground, and so far it seems like Irvine has pretty well for itself, considering the legal market and massive decline in apps.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:04 pm

chimp wrote:Pretty much. The last thing California (especially Southern California) needed was another law school...

The last thing ANYWHERE needs is another law school, but Irvine hasn't made any big missteps past the initial decision to be created.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Dirigo wrote:Tbf, I'm squirreling out on coffee right now and only read your first sentence (since im destined for a 38th ranked law school, why bother?)

I'm not going to go to bat for Irvine. It remains to be seen, but so far it seems like they've been following a very rational admissions strategy. I bet it's hard to get any law school off the ground, and so far it seems like Irvine has pretty well for itself, considering the legal market and massive decline in apps.

Not to fan the flame too much, but I have to agree with Rigo here.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Dirigo wrote:Tbf, I'm squirreling out on coffee right now and only read your first sentence (since im destined for a 38th ranked law school, why bother?)

The last school that opened that I know of, Drexel, did the same thing fyi.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

The last school that opened that I know of, Drexel, did the same thing fyi.

With obviously different results though.

IngmarKurosawa

Postby IngmarKurosawa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:01 pm

uci2013 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

It depends on the PI job though. I know a few BigFed legal honors programs hire you before you have to take the bar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”