2016 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Username123

Re: 2016 USNWR T25 Pred. Cont. (CLOSED.)

Postby Username123 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Dirigo wrote:That 22nd place tie. WTF.

georgej

Postby georgej » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
georgej wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
georgej wrote:by my count im off by 19!! pretty solid performance if I do say so... how do we find out the winners?

We are wasting our precious time discussing US News rankings. There are no winners.

jokes on you, I haven't done shit today before checkin' the thread just now except drink vegetable smoothies and move my desk around the apartment

You spent your entire day drinking smoothies and moving your desk around? Where do you teach?

I'm On SPRING BREAK Woooo

table3

Re: 2016 USNWR T25 Pred. Cont. (LEEK CENTRAL.)

Postby table3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Someone should do a "My law school dropped X spots when I was a 1L # years ago. AMA!"

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Wake -16
The biggest loser of the year for sure.

Penn State Dickenson has them beat.

THANKS JOE PAT!
eta: I think falling 16 points within the Top 50 is a lot more bigger blow than greater declines outside Top 50.
Last edited by Rigo on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 pm

I saw this somewhere a couple years ago and thought it was pretty funny (and true). It was something like:

Day of USNWR law school ranking release.
0L: My school went up 3 spots! Woohoo!
1L: My school went down 2 spots. Time to panic.
2L: Oh, did the new rankings come out today?
3L: What's a US News?

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 pm

I didn't apply to and frankly don't know much about the school but why does Fordham get a bad rap not only on the USNWR rankings but also rankings like ATL? Its employment numbers (at least in terms of biglaw) look better than some schools in the T20.

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Did US News not rank the two Penn State campuses separately? Or is State College just out of the top 100?

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 pm

pamphleteer wrote:I didn't apply to and frankly don't know much about the school but why does Fordham get a bad rap not only on the USNWR rankings but also rankings like ATL? Its employment numbers (at least in terms of biglaw) look better than some schools in the T20.

It gets a bad rap on TLS because it basically doesn't offer merit aid. There's such a high demand to go to law school in NYC that Fordham essentially sits back and lets most of its student body pay sticker. Since ATL rankings take cost into account, Fordham does poorly on its rankings.

That being said, Fordham is a pretty big player on the east coast. It also places 100+ people a year into Biglaw jobs, and a lot of top firms like Skadden are known to recruit fairly heavily from Fordham. I didn't apply there because of the merit aid issue and because I was above their medians by quite a bit, but to be honest I'm not so sure Fordham deserves so much criticism from TLS's community.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
pamphleteer wrote:I didn't apply to and frankly don't know much about the school but why does Fordham get a bad rap not only on the USNWR rankings but also rankings like ATL? Its employment numbers (at least in terms of biglaw) look better than some schools in the T20.

It gets a bad rap on TLS because it basically doesn't offer merit aid. There's such a high demand to go to law school in NYC that Fordham essentially sits back and lets most of its student body pay sticker. Since ATL rankings take cost into account, Fordham does poorly on its rankings.

That being said, Fordham is a pretty big player on the east coast. It also places 100+ people a year into Biglaw jobs, and a lot of top firms like Skadden are known to recruit fairly heavily from Fordham. I didn't apply there because of the merit aid issue and because I was above their medians by quite a bit, but to be honest I'm not so sure Fordham deserves so much criticism from TLS's community.

You were doing so well right up until the end. Fordham is so expensive that most of its students should go elsewhere. NYU and Columbia are very LSAT centric so most students just need to retake to get one of them. And for those who can't Fordham isn't worth attending.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:35 pm

While we're assessing damage, it appears something called Campbell Law fell at least 33 spots from 121 to completely unranked (154+).

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Read closely- I never said Fordham was worth attending. I think that there are very few cases where attending Fordham is justified. I probably would never recommend it to anybody. But I do it's odd for TLS to consistently criticize Fordham when there are plenty of other egregious offenders that get a pass.

Emory and Minnesota, for instance, charge 50k a year in tuition and are not known for being particularly generous with merit aid. And those schools give you a much smaller chance of landing an elite job than Fordham does. At least Fordham is straight up: it costs a lot because it places close to 200 people a year into Biglaw or clerkships. They basically say "Give us 250k, and we'll give you a better chance than most schools to get a high paying job". I don't think it's right, but it doesn't seem worse than a school charging students 250k for "prestige".

Postby 03152016 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:42 pm

whitespider wrote:While we're assessing damage, it appears something called Campbell Law fell at least 33 spots from 121 to completely unranked (154+).

soup law partners at cravath intently monitoring the situation

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Brut wrote:
whitespider wrote:While we're assessing damage, it appears something called Campbell Law fell at least 33 spots from 121 to completely unranked (154+).

soup law partners at cravath intently monitoring the situation

I know it doesn't matter, but much like yearly medians, I still find it interesting.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Read closely- I never said Fordham was worth attending. I think that there are very few cases where attending Fordham is justified. I probably would never recommend it to anybody. But I do it's odd for TLS to consistently criticize Fordham when there are plenty of other egregious offenders that get a pass.

Emory and Minnesota, for instance, charge 50k a year in tuition and are not known for being particularly generous with merit aid. And those schools give you a much smaller chance of landing an elite job than Fordham does. At least Fordham is straight up: it costs a lot because it places close to 200 people a year into Biglaw or clerkships. They basically say "Give us 250k, and we'll give you a better chance than most schools to get a high paying job". I don't think it's right, but it doesn't seem worse than a school charging students 250k for "prestige".

Minnesota is generally pretty generous. But, yeah, they're not a good bet at any price point unless you'd be satisfied working at a small firm or local government agency in Minnesota.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Read closely- I never said Fordham was worth attending. I think that there are very few cases where attending Fordham is justified. I probably would never recommend it to anybody. But I do it's odd for TLS to consistently criticize Fordham when there are plenty of other egregious offenders that get a pass.

People hate on Fordham because of the cost. You already seem to understand that but want to get into some weird debate about how Fordham gets too much hate relative to its peers. Trust me, its peers suck too, for a variety of reasons. But none of them are located in the most expensive city in America, and none of them fail to offer more than a small handful of scholarships worth more than half tuition. Fordham is the "strong regional" that makes sense for no one, but if someone who can't get into NYU/CLS could go to Fordham for under 100k people would be much more comfortable recommending it

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

People hate on Fordham because of the cost. You already seem to understand that but want to get into some weird debate about how Fordham gets too much hate relative to its peers. Trust me, its peers suck too, for a variety of reasons. But none of them are located in the most expensive city in America, and none of them fail to offer more than a small handful of scholarships worth more than half tuition. Fordham is the "strong regional" that makes sense for no one, but if someone who can't get into NYU/CLS could go to Fordham for under 100k people would be much more comfortable recommending it

I agree. I'm not trying to get into a debate about Fordham; you're preaching to the choir. I know why it gets criticized, and it deserves most of the criticism it gets. However, I work in NYC at a big firm and I see firsthand that Fordham is a major player in NYC Biglaw. In my view, Fordham is more defensible at 250k than Emory is at 200k, or Minnesota is at 150k.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 pm

By the way, droves of employers are flocking out of Winston-Salem as I type this.

Postby 03152016 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:19 pm

Moneytrees wrote:I agree. I'm not trying to get into a debate about Fordham; you're preaching to the choir. I know why it gets criticized, and it deserves most of the criticism it gets. However, I work in NYC at a big firm and I see firsthand that Fordham is a major player in NYC Biglaw. In my view, Fordham is more defensible at 250k than Emory is at 200k, or Minnesota is at 150k.

in the sense that shooting yourself in the leg is more defensible than shooting yourself in the head or chest, sure

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:10 am

oops its out of 25. well then fuck.

xael

Postby xael » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 am

So did I win this thing. I was getting LOOKS from known lurkers at school today so I'm assuming that means I won something.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 am

xael wrote:So did I win this thing. I was getting LOOKS from known lurkers at school today so I'm assuming that means I won something.

COME TO CHICAGO FOR SOME GREAT _ _ _ _

PRIZES

xael

Postby xael » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:18 am

I'm serious though where are the winners I'm not doing this math by myself

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:21 am

This ranking methodology is so dumb. I say we start paying more attention to the Cooley ranking system. The USNWR is worthless. Libraries FTW.

For real though lol there are 4 schools tied for 22nd, 7 schools tied for 87th and 8 schools tied for 94th. Really? Like did some group say "oh, these 8 schools are no different from each other; let's rank them all at 94"?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 am

I have a vested interest in knowing who won. Guesses?

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:52 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I have a vested interest in knowing who won. Guesses?

georgej said he had -19. That'll be pretty tough to beat. I looked at the first few pages of the thread and the lowest scores were around -21 to -23, assuming I'm scoring it the same as North and Robb.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”