2016 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ms9

Gold

Re: 2016 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced)

Post by ms9 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Some dean implores other deans to punish schools in rankings:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ools-.html

We could make an HBO show on law deans. A Game of Deans. I like it!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Some dean implores other deans to punish schools in rankings:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ools-.html

We could make an HBO show on law deans. A Game of Deans. I like it!
ooo i love this. i support the man 100%

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Dirigo wrote:
chimp wrote: Pretty much. The last thing California (especially Southern California) needed was another law school...
The last thing ANYWHERE needs is another law school, but Irvine hasn't made any big missteps past the initial decision to be created.
Exactly. That's why it doesn't matter. The school shouldn't even exist. The decision to create it was extremely irresponsible.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pamphleteer

Bronze

Post by pamphleteer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see what UCI's Class of 2014 numbers look like. The unemployment rate for '13 was already staggering and I'm really skeptical that HLS-esque clerkship rate is sustainable.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm

sublime wrote:Interesting that it is the dean from Ohio Northern and that he focuses on the gaming higher ranked schools do instead of lower ones - things like stips on aid packages, section stacking, and forcing large numbers of students to drop after the first year to help bar passage numbers.

I don't think that GWU gaming the rankings is what is keeping Ohio Northern in the fourth tier.
ya!: TTTs better go down in the Game of Deans 8)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:24 pm

sublime wrote:
chimp wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
chimp wrote: Pretty much. The last thing California (especially Southern California) needed was another law school...
The last thing ANYWHERE needs is another law school, but Irvine hasn't made any big missteps past the initial decision to be created.
Exactly. That's why it doesn't matter. The school shouldn't even exist. The decision to create it was extremely irresponsible.

Maybe it shouldn't exist, but if they are going to continue to expend the resources to have pretty damn good placement (especially compared to their medians) in one of the most difficult markets in the country, it is hard to be too upset.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/irvine/
I'm very upset. Erwin's vanity pet project is a complete waste and will probably end up in the toilet-dwelling tier within the next 10 years.
Last edited by 071816 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:31 pm

sublime wrote:Maybe. But I doubt they end up as bad as Hastings currently is, and I think there is a good chance they settle in on the Davis tier of Cali schools. I am willing to give them a few more years before passing too much judgment, especially because my judgment doesn't matter.

However, I don't pay taxes to California, so there's that.
Your judgment actually matters a lot now ;)

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
sublime wrote:Maybe. But I doubt they end up as bad as Hastings currently is, and I think there is a good chance they settle in on the Davis tier of Cali schools. I am willing to give them a few more years before passing too much judgment, especially because my judgment doesn't matter.

Your judgment actually matters a lot now ;)
LOL i can't. this is too funny

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm

They could raise in the rankings a little if they maintain current class size but I don't see how they can do that with the expensive faculty.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 pm

I pay taxes in California. The last thing we needed was another law school in the "Davis tier of Cali schools." Even if the school was ranked number fucking one, I'd still be pissed that it exists. Chemerinsky predicted UCI would rank in the top 20 initially. So the school is already failing to meet projected expectations in an extremely overly saturated market that needed an extra law school like I need a hole in the head or a third tit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm

chimp wrote:

I pay taxes in California. The last thing we needed was another law school in the "Davis tier of Cali schools." Even if the school was ranked number fucking one, I'd still be pissed that it exists. Chemerinsky predicted UCI would rank in the top 20 initially. So the school is already failing to meet projected expectations in an extremely overly saturated market that needed an extra law school like I need a hole in the head or a third tit.
I would say the top 20 comment is more about marketing than what his actual expectations would be

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:07 pm

sublime wrote:
chimp wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

Maybe it shouldn't exist, but if they are going to continue to expend the resources to have pretty damn good placement (especially compared to their medians) in one of the most difficult markets in the country, it is hard to be too upset.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/irvine/
Dean Chem has been cited as stating this year having 84% employment. Crazy if you ask me.
http://www.law.uci.edu/news/press-relea ... 09-15.html

Code: Select all

Dean Erwin Chemerinsky continued: “I expect that we will rise significantly in U.S. News rankings in the years ahead. For example, at least 84 percent of the UCI Law class of 2014 will be employed in full-time long-term jobs that require or take advantage of a J.D. It is also important to remember that the U.S. News ranking does not begin to capture the very special community we have created with terrific teaching, outstanding students and a real commitment to public service.”

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Nobody curr.

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Code: Select all

Dean Erwin Chemerinsky continued: “I expect that we will rise significantly in U.S. News rankings in the years ahead. For example, at least 84 percent of the UCI Law class of 2014 will be employed in full-time long-term jobs that require or take advantage of a J.D. It is also important to remember that the U.S. News ranking does not begin to capture the very special community we have created with terrific teaching, outstanding students and a real commitment to public service.”
[/quote]

Keyword is "advantage of JD". They are probably not far off 84% with current class if you count JD advantaged. They are 64 on LST but they do NOT count JD advantaged or they count it partially.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 pm

You know I for one think Hastings is on the rise maybe next year it will be #23 tied with Alabama and UW.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:52 pm

xael wrote:

You know I for one think Hastings is on the rise maybe next year it will be #23 tied with Alabama and UW.
Lol seriously no idea how you didn't catch that. When I first saw it I just figured you were trying to be funny and would change it back :lol:

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
xael wrote:

Lol seriously no idea how you didn't catch that. When I first saw it I just figured you were trying to be funny and would change it back :lol:
xael on facebook wrote:SCOTTY HELP I EMAILED SKADDEN AND SAID I WANTED TO WORK AT PERKINS COIE WHAT DO I DO

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Made the hot sauce today:

Started with a giant pile of ripe red chili peppers. This is most of them in a big paper bag after I started cleaning and preparing (hence the seeds and stuff):

Here's the bag of the stuff I removed, it looks like Chritsmas:

Here's the prepared peppers:

I put those in a pot with a bunch of fresh onions, a ton of garlic, olive oil, and salt:

And then cooked it down, letting it brown a bit:

When that was done, I threw it in a food processor:

Which resulted in this puree. I added a bunch of good quality vinegar -- unfiltered apple cider vinegar -- to make it look like this:

Here's where it gets interesting. I like to smoke stuff, but I don't have a grill with me at my law school place. I didn't want to just send y'all regular hot sauce, even though it's quite good without it. So I figured out a way to make a stove-top smoker. I made a tube out of tin foil, crimped it at the bottom, filled it a bit with mesquite chips, then angled the tube upwards and into the stock pot with the sauce in it. I put a bag of ice on top and a handful of ice cubes in the pot itself (it needed a little water anyway). Then I put the crimped end over the gas burner and turned it on, and the wood inside started to smoke. The cold lid and surface of the sauce caused the smoke to condense into homemade liquid smoke right into the sauce. I did three rounds of this:

Here's what it looked like inside the pot:

Here's the open end of the smoker:

Here's the pot filled with smoke:

Next I strained the sauce (to get the seeds and larger bits of chili skin out) to make it look like this:

I added some Tupelo honey (the best honey there is, no joke. If you're ever in Apalachicola, get some).

Next I jarred them up, pasteurized, and vaccum canned them. This was my first time doing traditional home preservation, and it went really well. No bucked lids. To do it, you have to heat up the inner seal of each lid, apply it to the jar, screw the circlet of metal on semi-tight, then submerge each jar in boiling water for about 20 minutes. The boiling water brings the contents of the jar up to a high enough temperature for it to produce steam, that steam forces its way out of the semi-sealed lid but doesn't let in any water. So the heat kills any bacteria that might have been in there. Then when you take the jar out, the seal holds. The heated air remaining in the jar condenses and forms a bit of a vacuum inside the jar, pulling the lid on even tighter. Here's a picture of the process:

They're best if they age for about two weeks before you use them, so I'll hang on to them for a little over a week before I ship them to the winners.

If any of y'all want some of this, make sure to play next year. It's the only way we make the USNWR rankings worth something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:41 pm

I was majorly impressed by your stove-top smoker. Great work!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:41 pm

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:42 pm

North wrote:Made the hot sauce today:
I seriously need to bum some of this off you the next time you visit home. That looks amazing.

And I'm super impressed by your smoking/canning skills
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”