Scholarship Stipulation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
retsiger
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Scholarship Stipulation

Postby retsiger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi everyone.

I was offered a scholarship at a school where the grading policy is as follows:
"It is suggested that faculty use a target mean grade of 3.05 in all exam courses. A mean of 3.00 to 3.10 will be considered compliant with this policy."
My scholarship is contingent on my maintaining a GPA of at least 2.5 each year.

Is it worth it to negotiate and get them to drop the stipulation?
I guess I'm a little confused because, while I know that 2.5 would be a really low GPA in undergrad, I'm not entirely sure how the curve system works in law school.

Thanks for your advice.

JFO1833
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby JFO1833 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Maybe to someone more knowledgable than I this would be obvious, but you might want to ask this school what class ranking a 2.5 is. Is that top two-thirds of the class, top three-quarters, top 90%, ect.

All the school has told you is what average is.

You can look at the schools ABA 509 form here: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/ and find out what percentage of students with scholarships lost them.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:26 pm

retsiger wrote:Hi everyone.

I was offered a scholarship at a school where the grading policy is as follows:
"It is suggested that faculty use a target mean grade of 3.05 in all exam courses. A mean of 3.00 to 3.10 will be considered compliant with this policy."
My scholarship is contingent on my maintaining a GPA of at least 2.5 each year.

Is it worth it to negotiate and get them to drop the stipulation?
I guess I'm a little confused because, while I know that 2.5 would be a really low GPA in undergrad, I'm not entirely sure how the curve system works in law school.

Thanks for your advice.

what school

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:30 pm

0L here, but doesn't 3.05 seem low for an average gpa?

Patent2014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby Patent2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
retsiger wrote:Hi everyone.

I was offered a scholarship at a school where the grading policy is as follows:
"It is suggested that faculty use a target mean grade of 3.05 in all exam courses. A mean of 3.00 to 3.10 will be considered compliant with this policy."
My scholarship is contingent on my maintaining a GPA of at least 2.5 each year.

Is it worth it to negotiate and get them to drop the stipulation?
I guess I'm a little confused because, while I know that 2.5 would be a really low GPA in undergrad, I'm not entirely sure how the curve system works in law school.

Thanks for your advice.

what school

Copy/paste the quote into google and it's the top hit

retsiger
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby retsiger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

what school[/quote]

Temple.

User avatar
pamphleteer
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby pamphleteer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:35 am

According to Temple's 509, 16% of students with conditional scholarships lost theirs over the past three academic years. Compare that to a school like Minnesota which also has a 2.5 stip but has seen 0 students lose their scholarships over the past three years. It's still unlikely you'll lose the scholly at Temple but I'd definitely try to negotiate with them to get it dropped.

retsiger
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby retsiger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:22 pm

pamphleteer wrote:According to Temple's 509, 16% of students with conditional scholarships lost theirs over the past three academic years. Compare that to a school like Minnesota which also has a 2.5 stip but has seen 0 students lose their scholarships over the past three years. It's still unlikely you'll lose the scholly at Temple but I'd definitely try to negotiate with them to get it dropped.


Alright, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PublicInterest2018
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:52 am

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby PublicInterest2018 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am

pamphleteer wrote:According to Temple's 509, 16% of students with conditional scholarships lost theirs over the past three academic years. Compare that to a school like Minnesota which also has a 2.5 stip but has seen 0 students lose their scholarships over the past three years. It's still unlikely you'll lose the scholly at Temple but I'd definitely try to negotiate with them to get it dropped.


I wouldn't risk it with a conditional scholarship... particularly not for Temple.

User avatar
penncon
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Scholarship Stipulation

Postby penncon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm

GPA/LSAT? Also how much is the scholarship? Temple is usually stingy because of their comparatively low tuition.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK, Google [Bot] and 9 guests