GPA Addendum Help (Odd Reason)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sam Peabody

GPA Addendum Help (Odd Reason)

Postby Sam Peabody » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I've been reading threads for a while, but I signed up to get some input on a problem I haven't seen anyone really discuss before.

I am including a GPA Addendum along with my applications. Here's my situation: I am a non-traditional applicant with several years of work experience. However, I have a weak GPA from my first few years of stubbornly pursuing a pre-med track. Once I switched, I had a strong trend. This is all explainable based on the resources I've reviewed. But here's where the situation gets a bit sticky . . .

In my final semester before graduation, I was doing really well in all of my classes. Then about two weeks before my final exams, I found out that my girlfriend of over a year had slept with one of my long-time friends, who coincidentally shared all of my classes. I was pretty devastated, and without thinking it through rationally, I didn't attend any of my finals and just moved away. I know I should have reached out to my teachers, but I was just so ashamed. Since then, I went back and finished my degree.

Now, how do I explain this botched final semester without coming off as immature? Should I be honest? Or is there some other vague way of explaining this. I know they want facts. I have grown a lot since then, and would never make them same mistake of jeopardizing my academics.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mudiverse

Re: GPA Addendum Help (Odd Reason)

Postby mudiverse » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Girls, man.

I would certainly add an addendum and frame it in the sense of a personal and family crisis which you responded poorly to due to the significance of the event and your immaturity. You don't need to say anything more specific than that. I don't think this type of thing is as unusual as people think having known at least 2 other people that had similar problems in college.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

I think an addendum is necessary. They're going to want to know why you randomly tanked your last semester.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 pm

mudiverse wrote:Girls, man.

I would certainly add an addendum and frame it in the sense of a personal and family crisis which you responded poorly to due to the significance of the event and your immaturity. You don't need to say anything more specific than that. I don't think this type of thing is as unusual as people think having known at least 2 other people that had similar problems in college.

This. The key points here are 1. acknowledge that you responded immaturely and that you've learned from it, and 2. do not outright say your girlfriend cheated on you, they don't need to know the details of your love life.

Sam Peabody

Postby Sam Peabody » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm

swampman wrote:
This. The key points here are 1. acknowledge that you responded immaturely and that you've learned from it, and 2. do not outright say your girlfriend cheated on you, they don't need to know the details of your love life.

Yeah, I was worried that putting that including specific circumstances would be a little "TMI." But how should I state/phrase this? I just need some direction or way to frame this vaguely, yet clearly, enough.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”